Is This #2 Buckle Civil War ?

S.Klick

Elite Member
Hi All, Got out for a hunt this morning with "GTP Guy" Scott and we were working a field that has produced Civil War tokens before. Well I had a Hit on my dfx jumping from 78-83 vdi at about 4 inches and this "Buckle" type piece popped out. Not to sure on much Civil war stuff but was wondering If Anyone has Seen this type of piece Before and If anyone has any Info on it. Thank You All for Looking and your Time, Best of Luck to All on your next Hunts. steve

Attachments

• 062413140010.jpg
    062413140010.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 762
  • 062413140034.jpg
    062413140034.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 766
  • 062413140105.jpg
    062413140105.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 788
Could be some sort of 2nd Reg buckle, but I've never seen one like that. It very well could be older than CW. It almost looks like a 2 piece, tongue and wreath style, but the hooks on the back make me think one piece. Very nice find. I'm pretty confident that it's militia, just not certain of the era.

How would the leather belt attach to it? I am no expert, but doesn't strike me as a buckle

Could be some sort of 2nd Reg buckle, but I've never seen one like that. It very well could be older than CW. It almost looks like a 2 piece, tongue and wreath style, but the hooks on the back make me think one piece. Very nice find. I'm pretty confident that it's militia, just not certain of the era.
Thanks Wolf, We were thinking it was 2 piece also but cant find nothing that looks like it.
How would the leather belt attach to it? I am no expert, but doesn't strike me as a buckle

At the one end there should have more attached to it, but was broke off and the other side looks like it was melted were a belt would attach to it for a two piece.

its a pre Civil war type buckle around 1855 oval tongue two piece but could of very well have been used during the war.
Steve , I'm pretty sure its a Rhode Island Volunteers 2nd regimental buckle .

its a pre Civil war type buckle around 1855 oval tongue two piece but could of very well have been used during the war.
Steve , I'm pretty sure its a Rhode Island Volunteers 2nd regimental buckle .
Then it should be easy to find another like it, somewhere online.

Great find........glad you could get out with me. Really hope it turns out to be civil war. But you need to stop digging all the civil war stuff at my sites ha ha. That's two weeks in a row now.

Copperhead got it.

Copperhead has good info, you can go to the bank with that. You might also send a photo to Don Troiani, he might help you out. He's a very good authority on the Northeastern region (along with about everything else, just don't bug him).

Does look like the CW era, but perhaps it's not military at all. These two piece bucles were used from a bit before the CW up into the 1920s. This one does look like an earlier pattern. Fire departments, police organizations, fraternal organizations all used fancy two piece buckles. They were also popular in Europe so it will be hard to positively ID since more research has been done on the CW buckles than all of the others from other organizations and/or countries.

it does look like a 2 reg sword belt buckle
:yes:

Back
Top Bottom