civil war location

provingunique

I have some kin folks who say they are living on the griswoldville gun factory remnanats. Th e factory used to make cotton gins then converted to make pistols during wartime need. Sherman burned griswolville on his march to the sea.

As far as remnants visible... they have 2 large stacks of civiil war era bricks in the yard. Look like collapsed smoke stacks. My son and I plan on gettin some time in and we are brand new at relic hunting. Is there methods to gather old maps to plan areas of inerest to hunt first?

Any pointers and guidance on what you would do first.. would help. Thanks

Detector that we will use : BH Lone Star

Oldest map on histicaerials is a 1957 topo map. I found a description online that said the factory and other buildings including the owners residence and slave quarter were near the factory, which was between the railway and a creek.

Don't know how accurate that is. The photos on google earth look to me like a great deal of the area has been timbered and replanted in pines or farmed over.

Best bet may be to just start looking in all metal mode and see of you can find building sites by locating old nails and charred wood.

Should be fun... the adjacent plot is woods (grandmother owned) that plot has a creek on it. The last plot is church owned

Is there a church nearby? If so I would try to get permission to hunt the grounds there too. Most churches were turned into hospitals during that time.

Or so I was told...

The church is new construction. Or ''newwer'' construction than civil war era. But still worth asking since it is on good grounds.

If you find an area that is overloaded with metal I'd suggest making a sifter. Often times the goodies are hiding in amongst all that iron junk :D

"The Sound of Griswold"

"The hills are alive, with the sound of Griswold" sang Chevy Chase in European Vacation. Okay, on to serious biz. I have a friend who is a long-time collector and detectorist, and he detected the factory in Griswoldville back in the 80's. He put together a nice display of an unfinished pistol (cylinder not bored, no internal springs, etc.). It has been hunted extensively. But, like they say, it's never "hunted out". Good luck, and post what you find.

Sounds like a great place to hunt! I would use a small coil and don't be afraid to dig some iron. Sometimes good signals could be hiding under iron. Be patient, a lot of us wish we were in your shoes. I know you'll find some good stuff. HH
John in NC

hey, this is not your classic oh lets poke around site. You need to approach this more archaeologically, it will take time, but thats what i've done with the second seminole war camp on my property and it has mega paid off! Message me with any questions, keep me updated too!
Sincerely

~Donneybrook

Back
Top Bottom