Police showed up. Long island

Robm1093

Short hunt this morning in a small park . Police show up and tell me that some one called and told them someone is digging on town land. I did not want to get into its not Elegale with police .
I did show them my trash and I told them I remove all the trash that I dig up. I also showed them how I take out a smal plug. The police officer looked around and sed ok and then home I went. This was the town of Hempsted park and as far as I now thairs no rule agents detecting , I looked it up.

Last edited:
A few penny's and what looks like an old car emblem. Will post pic later.

Consider the following: It so-happened that the police were frank with you about why-they were there . Namely: Some busy-body griped. But it's also quite possible that they don't necessarily state that, and merely come up and say "scram" . Since, let's be honest: "holes" is the connotation that a "man with a metal detector" carries.

I once got a "scram" from a cop. But after engaging him in some friendly chit-chat, only THEN did he say "someone called to complain". See how a "scram" (even from a police officer) doesn't necessarily mean "illegal" . Yet you'd be surprised how many md'rs just assume it's gospel law now, and "spread the word" that "such & such place is off-limits". Or they rush to city hall to "seek clarification" and end up opening an even bigger can of worms.

So to me, a busy body or a scram, merely means : "Avoid that one individual in the future". You/we are simply not going to please every last person on earth.

Consider the following: It so-happened that the police were frank with you about why-they were there . Namely: Some busy-body griped. But it's also quite possible that they don't necessarily state that, and merely come up and say "scram" . Since, let's be honest: "holes" is the connotation that a "man with a metal detector" carries.

I once got a "scram" from a cop. But after engaging him in some friendly chit-chat, only THEN did he say "someone called to complain". See how a "scram" (even from a police officer) doesn't necessarily mean "illegal" . Yet you'd be surprised how many md'rs just assume it's gospel law now, and "spread the word" that "such & such place is off-limits". Or they rush to city hall to "seek clarification" and end up opening an even bigger can of worms.

So to me, a busy body or a scram, merely means : "Avoid that one individual in the future". You/we are simply not going to please every last person on earth.

Some one called, I started in small field net to the road and a suv stood and was looking me down :shock: then I went into the woods shortly after. On my way out of the woods I spot the police and they were looking around . Maybe I beat them to the punch but They never told me to levee and did not say I was doing any thing wrong.

... but They never told me to levee and did not say I was doing any thing wrong.

Yes. But you'd be surprised at how often something like this happens, and the cop will usher you on "just to please miss-lookie-lou". And to "justify their just having been called out".

In your case, the back-story became evident. But just sayin' that : A "scram" sometimes means "give lip service". And then avoid the one-griper in the future. (Unless, of course, there were a true law or rule, that you found via your own sluething/reading, that truly said "no md'ing")

I've had on officer show up a few times when I was at schools or on curbstrip. I just engage with them friendly and assure them I'm not making a mess. I just keep on my way. They always say that they had a call from a concerned citizen.

Short hunt this morning in a small park . Police show up and tell me that some one called and told them someone is digging on town land. I did not want to get into its not Elegale with police .
I did show them my trash and I told them I remove all the trash that I dig up. I also showed them how I take out a smal plug. The police officer looked around and sed ok and then home I went. This was the town of Hempsted park and as far as I now thairs no rule agents detecting , I looked it up.

:shock::?: :wow: where are the grammar police when you need them :?: :police:

That's always fun lol even with the proper research someone wants to complain. But you seldom win when it comes to cops.

There are a few people who love to call the cops on me. I can't say how many times it happened but the first few times the cops were very formal. They said they got the call and have to check, no laws broken, not making a mess of the place and so on...

Now they just wave and ask if I found anything good today.

They couldn't disagree with me when they drove right up to me, but I didn't look up or take off my headphones. They left, I didn't. I'm sure it was some concerned citizen who knew I didn't live in the immediate neighborhood, detecting the schoolyard on a Sunday with maybe a half dozen kids present. Detecting not likely new to cops as I was very close to where dealer lives.

That's always fun lol even with the proper research someone wants to complain. But you seldom win when it comes to cops.

This is why when it comes to government, less is more. More what ? Freedom. Government, including law enforcement, is an over bloated monster.

So far Ive only had the cops check me out 1 time. I was hitting an old school about 1/4 mile from the police station. He didn't even get out of this car. He just pulled up in the parking lot and had his window down which to me meant come over and speak with him. I thought I was going to get told to leave but instead he told me that he already hit the area pretty hard and thinks it's pretty well cleaned out.

My buddy and I were detecting a field and were parked in the edge of the field when a cop drove by and did a 180 to return to where we were standing by our cars. He approaches us and asks what we were doing, funny but we both looked at the detectors in our hands and then at each other and of course told him what we were doing. He asked if we had permission to be there, "absolutely" we told him. My buddy asked if we were doing something illegal or if someone called, he said no. We then asked why he turned around and stopped and he told us because we were parked where people do not usually park???? Really? parked on private property minding our own business and suddenly feel like we are under investigation? I guess be careful where you park, even if you have permission to be there.

... I guess be careful where you park, even if you have permission to be there.

I've lost track of the # of times that it was my VEHICLE that drew attention. Not the detector, not me, not the legality or permission/location of md'ing, etc.... It is, like you say, sometimes just an out-of-place car. Parked at a school that's not in session. Or parked in the middle of nowhere on a country road, etc.... Or parked at a park that "closes at sunset", blah blah .

So I have learned to park a block or two away from where I intend to enter a site. That way, if any LEOs want to check out an "out of place car", they will not be looking at me, nor will my chosen activity be the point of scrutiny, etc..... It's kind of humorous. Because sometimes, in the distance, way far down the road or street: I see an LEO with lights spot-lighting my truck. And I know they're running my plates. Which, naturally, come back clean.

One time, as I was watching that go-down in the distance, my cell-phone started ringing. It was my answering service who was forwarding a call from the sherrif's. They patched me through. And the sheriff dispatcher was saying "are you aware that your truck is parked out on such & such road, middle of the country-side?" To which I said "yes, it's fine. I know it's there. There's no problems". Then ... in the distance, I see the lights go off, and the sheriff drive away :)

Sometimes there is some sort of criminal activity going on the we are not aware of. Maybe homes are getting broken into during the day while people are at work. Or maybe bums are doing drugs in the restrooms at the park. The cops are told when they start their shift that this criminal activity is going on and so they concentrate their efforts in those areas. They don't know who is who. They are just looking for anything out of the ordinary. Something that is a bit different than what they are used to seeing. A car parked in the corner of the parking lot could belong to an honest law abiding treasure hunter, or it could belong to someone who is sneaking through the woods to break into houses. The cops don't know until they check it out. I just always assume that they are doing their job. I don't take it personal. I try not to make their jobs harder than it has to be. I've been checked out a few times. When they are satisfied that I am who I am, they move on and I go back to what I was doing. I really don't have problems with cops checking things out.

Back
Top Bottom