A Perspective on Old Coins

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
Quite often when I find an old coin in say the 40's or 50's or even older, I think to myself.. Nice coin but really never think about the actual age and time period of the piece as it just doesn't seem like that long ago.

In reality a 40's coin is 80 years old and that WAS a long time ago. An early 1900's coin is a REALLY long time ago and 1800's WOW.

Here are a few Pictures to put it into perspective.... starting from the 1960's through the 1860's..
So I invite you to take a look at WHO your Depositors really were and then realize just how special all of those coins you have found really are.

Attachments

• 1964.jpg
    1964.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 393
  • 1950.jpg
    1950.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 1940.jpg
    1940.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 1930.jpg
    1930.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 1920.jpg
    1920.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 331
  • 1910.jpg
    1910.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 1900.jpg
    1900.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 1890.jpg
    1890.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 1880.jpg
    1880.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 1870.jpg
    1870.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 1860.jpg
    1860.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 302
Great post and photo lineup! Those old photos always get me thinking about detecting possibilities, or the lack thereof, in urban blacktop and concrete areas that used to be muddy streets. Very cool!

I often wonder about how coins may have ended up where I found them and who may have "lost" them... Or other relics for that matter. I appreciate your perspective... :cool:

Yeah! Very Cool! More old photos! Like those of the east coast beaches PACKED! Before Airconditioning and all, folks had to find a place to cool off! before TV and Internet, Folks had to go outside to meet others and get entertained!!

There was a lot less people then, but they were outdoors a whole lot more than the Humans of today!

I found a 1919 Mercury dime in a park, under a shrub covered area, close to my house. It made me think... Odds are, it was a child out playing ball or hide and seak when he or she dropped it. It was the first week of 2019, making my find a hundred years old. Even if it was a very young child, most likely they have passed, and that tiny little dime is my connection to them and their life.

I found a 1919 Mercury dime in a park, under a shrub covered area, close to my house. It made me think... Odds are, it was a child out playing ball or hide and seak when he or she dropped it. It was the first week of 2019, making my find a hundred years old. Even if it was a very young child, most likely they have passed, and that tiny little dime is my connection to them and their life.

Exactly! Thats what is so interesting about this Sport! We are tracking people through the Fog of Time!

A very nice post ! A great perspective , it shows a lot of thought and a deep love of history .Great time period photo examples .

Thank You SS I loved the photos too.

Great post and photo lineup! Those old photos always get me thinking about detecting possibilities, or the lack thereof, in urban blacktop and concrete areas that used to be muddy streets. Very cool!

Thanks Foragist.. I too have often thought that..
An old line from a song often pops in my head "They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot" ..

Loved the old photos.....
Thanks D4C !!

I often wonder about how coins may have ended up where I found them and who may have "lost" them... Or other relics for that matter. I appreciate your perspective... :cool:

Thank You Perquimans.. I always think there is a story behind this and wish they could talk..

I like that a lot TNT

Yeah! Very Cool! More old photos! Like those of the east coast beaches PACKED! Before Airconditioning and all, folks had to find a place to cool off! before TV and Internet, Folks had to go outside to meet others and get entertained!!

There was a lot less people then, but they were outdoors a whole lot more than the Humans of today!

Thanks Mud that is so True !!

Great post! Very insightful and you're right, many of us find a coin from the 1940's or 1950's and don't really think much about it, after all, these coins aren't as old as a coin from the 20's or even late 1800's. Yet they've seen a lot of history too...just as the older coins

off topic but did anyone else notice that virtually every person in many of the pics is wearing a hat?

Back
Top Bottom