EQ 600 vs Ace 400 Depth

penneyrich

So I decided to do a side by side test with my two detectors. I dug four 6" holes in my back yard and placed a clad Q,D,N and copper P in the holes and covered them back up. The soil was dark topsoil and it was damp but not muddy. I had my 600 noise cancelled and was running Park 1 with sensitivity set to 20 and speed at 3. It did not see the P at all, the rest of the coins were iffy at best. I turned the sensitivity up to 25 and still no P, it saw the Q with the flutey sound but numbers did not match a Q. No dime and no nickel. I got similar results with the Ace 400. Has anyone had results like this? The Nox line was touted as a deep machine but I'm not so sure. Makes me wonder how much I have missed with the 600. Any help or opinions on this would be appreciated.

I have read that for some reason minilab machines do not like freshly disturbed dirt. When I got my first one I did the same thing and my machine could not find anything. I have dug copper pennies down 9 and 10 inches deep that had been there for a long time. So I wonder if what I read is correct.

I was at the beach last weekend with my EQ-600 and dug a part of a zinc penny 11" down. Also found a very rusty nail about 10" down.

"Paging Calabash Digger and Woodbutcher to aisle 3 spill!...Calabash Digger and Woodbutcher aisle 3 please"...

:sissyfight::popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn:

Lol,Calabash packed his marbles and headed elsewhere,don’t know where that fellow has been .Kinda miss the guy.lol.
Your equinox is sick,,you should send it to my address immediately and I will put it out of its misery.
No,in all seriousness,,did you have both machines on at the same time? Could be the Garrett was drawing power from the nox,if they were close enough that could happen.Those Minelabs are thin skinned and it don’t take much for a Garrett to steal its power if they’re in close quarters..I had to put my Garrett in the basement when I owned the nox.lol

Somthing is really wrong with your equinox,it should have no problem hitting a 8 inch fresh coin..Master reset,do the upgrade again or send it in to Minelab,it’s sick.

Lol,Calabash packed his marbles and headed elsewhere,don’t know where that fellow has been .Kinda miss the guy.lol.
Your equinox is sick,,you should send it to my address immediately and I will put it out of its misery.
No,in all seriousness,,did you have both machines on at the same time? Could be the Garrett was drawing power from the nox,if they were close enough that could happen.Those Minelabs are thin skinned and it don’t take much for a Garrett to steal its power if they’re in close quarters..I had to put my Garrett in the basement when I owned the nox.lol

Somthing is really wrong with your equinox,it should have no problem hitting a 8 inch fresh coin..Master reset,do the upgrade again or send it in to Minelab,it’s sick.

Yeah about the Garrett power houses!..When I had the AtPro, I often used it as a backup generator in my welding shop or to jumpstart cars! In fact, I had my Pro plugged into the grid and the Power Company would send ME a check every month! :laughing:

But, the NOX backlight is sort of cool, I'd lean it up against the bed post for mood lighting on date night once per month! :laughing: (Did I say once per month? I'm exaggerating again)...

Yeah about the Garrett power houses!..When I had the AtPro, I often used it as a backup generator or to jumpstart cars! :laughing: Of course the NOX backlight is sort of cool, I'd lean it up against the bed post for mood lighting on date night once per month! :laughing:

When I had the 600 the light was so bright I just layer the machine on its side at night and it was like a big old street light,Hell I even turned it upside down and the hole lit up so I could find the target..True story.lol..That 600 Backlight has one setting,spotlight.

So I decided to do a side by side test with my two detectors. I dug four 6" holes in my back yard and placed a clad Q,D,N and copper P in the holes and covered them back up. The soil was dark topsoil and it was damp but not muddy. I had my 600 noise cancelled and was running Park 1 with sensitivity set to 20 and speed at 3. It did not see the P at all, the rest of the coins were iffy at best. I turned the sensitivity up to 25 and still no P, it saw the Q with the flutey sound but numbers did not match a Q. No dime and no nickel. I got similar results with the Ace 400. Has anyone had results like this? The Nox line was touted as a deep machine but I'm not so sure. Makes me wonder how much I have missed with the 600. Any help or opinions on this would be appreciated.

Did you ground balance? I would try using recovery speed of 2 and the lowest iron balance and see what happens. I dug a clad quarter in a baseball field this morning in very wet topsoil at 9 1/2". I was in park 1 speed 4 (I have an 800), IB of zero and sense at 22.

I have the 800 and I have questioned the depth ability too at times. It's hard to explain but... It depends on the day. I'll take it out one day and I won't dig anything deeper than 4 inches. The next day, at the same park, I'll end up pulling a silver dime, or a small charm, at 9-10 inches. Also had a 70's quarter give me iffy, but strong, signals at 2 inches the other day. That was odd.

I have found that doing a ground balance every so often seems to help. If I go from the hard-packed curbside to the softer soil area of the lawn, I will do a ground balance again.

One other thing, I take the iron bias down to 3 on most of my hunts.

I think it has something to do with the circuitry of the minelab machines freshly buried coins or air test to me are useless it is like what I did when I first got into detecting I purchased an AT PRO for my wife and a X TERRA 705 for myself when I attempted to do air test with both side by side I was really impressed at what I was seeing in the ATP over the 705 but when I actually started doing real detecting on undisturbed soils shortly after those air test what I experienced from the two machines I purchased was totally the opposite the 705 was way deeper then the ATP,I was getting merc's at 9-12 inches with the 705 that the ATP would not even give a peep on it baffled me and drove me crazy until I finally came to the realization that the ATP just could not see targets if they were deeper then 6 inches my wife and I would detect with each other in the back yard of a property we owned in OHIO I would detect behind her going over the areas she was hitting and if I got a hit in an spot that she had detected with the ATP I would have her to come back and hit it again before digging just to see if she just missed hearing the target or the ATP was not seeing the target and 100% of the time when the target was deeper then six inches the ATP would not see it,my wife shortly lost interest after a few weeks so what I did was use the ATP to clear the shallower targets of 6 inches or less and then I re scanned the whole yard again with the 705 and it was like it had never been detected and like it was a new site only difference was the targets were deeper just out of the reach of the ATP and I am not saying the ATP is a bad machine at all just in my experience it is not that deep of a machine its actually a great machine if the targets are at 6 inches or less

have you tried detecting with the auto tracking activated on the NOX that feature if it is the same as the 705 tracks the Ground balance and compensates for changes in ground minerals it works really good on the 705 so I would think it would work even better on the NOX as it is newer technology but who knows

Back
Top Bottom