Ace 300 questions

mitcheal

Need some advice... I have my md set on coin mode. It will sometimes get a signal, I'll dig some, verify the signal, dig, and then the signal is gone. I check what I've dug out, and the hole several times. What gives?

Also, my depth seems off. What shows a 6" deep will actually be 2. I've taken into account distance from the ground to the coil and it's still way off

Thanks for the help
Mitch

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You could check your sensitivity if it's up too high it could give you those false hits like that. I believe the depth readings are calibrated to a coin sized target anything larger or smaller might affect the depth readings

Not mineralized soil that I know of. A soccer field and playground. I'll try turning down the sensitivity

Need some advice... I have my md set on coin mode. It will sometimes get a signal, I'll dig some, verify the signal, dig, and then the signal is gone. I check what I've dug out, and the hole several times. What gives?

Also, my depth seems off. What shows a 6" deep will actually be 2. I've taken into account distance from the ground to the coil and it's still way off

Thanks for the help
Mitch

Depth meters on detectors are calibrated on coin sized objects.
So a smaller than coin find should indicate deeper that reality.
A larger than coin find say a can could be 8”down but indicate say 4” down.

When you get a signal and dig. And you haven’t found your targrt. And you say resweep over hole and get nothing tonally. Does this mean your target still exist down in hole/ground?? Could be still there.
I recommend a pinpointer for target location when digging.

Now, iron can sound off when a person is sweeping any VLF detector. And iron can sound good too. But there is a chance when you start digging and vibrate, move, or shift the iron (could be nail) and resweep signal may go away or sound worse than before. A good find could do this too. Try and pinpoint your targets after you locate when sweeping. If pinpoint seems off location wise a few inches vs where signal seems to be coming from on the ground,,this is good clue of iron. Your detector is falsing on the iron. Many times if you will take a shovel an stick over about 7-8” and shove shovel in ground and lift up slightly and remove shove. This small shifting goin on, many times when you sweep signal,will go away or get more dodgy. Again good sign of ferrous buried and is in very rusted condition.

Tnss gave you great advice but what you're saying shouldn't happen very often. If it is then I would guess that it could be operator error- like your sensitivity is too high. It could also be a very small find or may be your detector is in need of repair. Let us know if you figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom