First IH and in nice shape! + military watch.

Iggyks

Elite Member
Got out Saturday at the site of an old school which was open approx. 1910 - 1960s. The wife came with me on my "20 or 30 minute hunt." About my third signal I dug the military watch from 1977 - unfortunately there's dirt inside the crystal, but got my enthusiasm up - and maybe 15 minutes later, found the penny. I had a strong feeling it was an Indian although it was too dirty to see detail. My thirty-minute hunt ended up being 2 1/2 hours, good thing the wife brought a book! Doubt I'll ever have finds like you experienced guys but I think my trash pile from this hunt is right up there with some of yours ;)
My budget GP pinpointer which I've been pretty happy with did little or nothing on the IH though, had to find it in loose dug dirt with my Mojave. I need to air test it on this exact panny and see what's up with that. Penny cleaned up pretty well esp. since I've only cleaned a couple of wheats before this. It's a 1904.

Attachments

• IH+watch front.jpg
    IH+watch front.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 491
  • IH+watch back.jpg
    IH+watch back.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Junk 11-18-17.jpg
    Junk 11-18-17.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
That Indian Head penny is in great shape. You and that Mojave are working well together. Keep-um comin. Big Congrats!

beephead

Sweet finds - huge congrats on the Indian!!!! I'm still waiting for my first.....

As for the watch - If the guts are fried I'd bet the replica watches being sold now would fit in the one you found. Might be worth your while.... I found a Swiss but it's toasted bad and it would be cool to wear the find....

You have some great finds there! The watch should have some value, if only for parts. Indianhead pennies are fun digs, and look nice in your "forever" box. I like the pliers too. It also looks like you got some goods for the scrap metal bin. Copper, brass, lead, etc. adds up.
You got skills.

If the date is 1977 I doubt it is radium. It may have tritium capsules on the hands which are alpha emitters and are considered radioactive. The alpha radiation is short range and would not go through the glass. Google tritium watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the date is 1977 I doubt it is radium. It may have tritium capsules on the hands which are alpha emitters and are considered radioactive. The alpha radiation is short range and would not go through the glass. Google tritium watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, okay! Wasn't aware of tritium watches.

Great finds! The Indian Head is in pretty sweet condition - nice recovery! Congrats on your first. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the IH.

For 5 years I have been chasing that penny with no success. A few months ago I was talking to a woman who was interested in MDing and asked me to demonstrate it. I grabbed a machine and stepped to her curb strip and told her if we were lucky I might find a penny or two. Seconds later I got a penny signal at the sidewalk and there’s a penny barely under the sand. I handed it to her and told her it was her first find.
She looked at it and said, “Cool! 1887!”
I said, “You mean 1987!”
She said “NOPE!”
Yep. Found my first Injun and gave it away.

She did call me that night and offered to trade for a beautiful full harmonica reed I had found and I quickly agreed.

Since then, I’ve found 2 more.

Attachments

• 895EB558-EE0D-465D-944B-3AE692DEA271.jpg
    895EB558-EE0D-465D-944B-3AE692DEA271.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 8F14E688-B99D-4FEF-95D4-0734B4B83784.jpg
    8F14E688-B99D-4FEF-95D4-0734B4B83784.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 212
Back
Top Bottom