• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

This is weird and will probably never happen again..2 V nickels...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I get a signal that is pretty jumpy with the F70 and Sharpshooter coil and I should walk by but the tone is extremely good so I dug it.
I come up with an old rusty bottle cap of some kind but on one side most of it is rusted away and I see sticking to the inside of the top some sort of thick piece of something but I have never seen this before.
I dig it out and my Propointer says it is metal.
Can't see anything on either side, too much dirt so I figure a slug of some kind but just in case I grab a twig and start scraping the dirt off of one side.
Nothing at first but eventually I start to see something coming through around the edge...the words United States and then more in the middle a part of a wreath!
I start scraping the other side and soon enough I start to see an image in the middle coming through I thought was a bird at first but eventually I see it is a bust and some stars.
I scrape off the part on the bottom and see a date...1901.
Now I am looking at this thing and recognize it as a V nickel but it is way too thick.

photostudio_1510616518557.jpg

I look closer an realize it is two V nickels stuck together!
Well I'll be!

A little later I took a break and took a few pics of both sides...

photostudio_1510616474523.jpg
photostudio_1510616429521.jpg

...then I tried to split them open hoping the insides were protected and were clean and in good shape.
A little tap and they opened up and for the most part my wish came true...most of the surface on both coins were clean and shiny with a little crud on the edges and a bit of rust from that bottle cap.

photostudio_1510616568698.jpg

At home I cleaned them up a bit more, I scrubbed the dirty sides just to bring out a few details....

photostudio_1510616643813.jpg

On the cleaner sides I scrubbed as much of the dirt off as I could but then I stopped....they look good enough to me now and maybe I will soak them in some olive oil or something and pick at them a bit but these will probably be the best condition V nickels I will ever dig.

photostudio_1510616741342.jpg

Weird signals, sometimes ya just gotta dig them because you never know.

Last edited:
Now that's a super nice score! Here lately I've been finding some dime, penny and quarter coins stuck together. Nothing as super nice as what you found. Big Congrats!

beephead

Nice.

A couple of days ago I was hunting a yard which has yielded a large number of 1940s wheat pennies and I found a thick penny. VERY THICK! Thought I had found my first fatty but discovered I found a wheat penny sandwich. 3 stuck together. I can barely read 1947 on one but nothing on the other end.

Decided to leave them together. Like them better this way.

Attachments

• 54FDD14C-A387-4122-B031-1E2D9F23D67C.jpg
    54FDD14C-A387-4122-B031-1E2D9F23D67C.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 411
  • 2E8D9CB0-EDC9-4680-B38B-400E66166FF9.jpg
    2E8D9CB0-EDC9-4680-B38B-400E66166FF9.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 382
Now THAT is a cool and unusual find! Some kid long ago jamming nickels into a cap? Then, some other kid comes along and finds them over 100yrs later! Cool!

2 V Nickels

I am pretty sure you are right about it not happening again, but it DID happen once.:grin: Amazing how something like that will catch you off guard. That's what makes this hobby so great. You never know what the next "surprise" will be. Congratulations on a very unusual find. :yes:

Congrats on the bottle cap v-nickel spill!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIGGER DIGGER DIGGER, these are NICE....:yes::D great job....

Thanks Tate...from up in the woods in Dan's neighborhood.
He yelled at me because I didn't film the 2 buffs, the 2 mercs or these two I found on my last 3 hunts up there.
How was I to know they were going to be three great holes?
I just get signals and dig them.
Time to fire up the GoPro and start recording these hunts since I know now for sure there is a bunch more stuff hiding in those woods.

I'm am ready for a good day hunting. I need to find something good

Maybe on the weekend hit these woods with me...Dan too.
Those old houses are ok, but hunting them for hours and not finding a whole lot is not great.
I cut my teeth on parks and there is still a lot at this one if we look hard in the woods and down below.
I expect nothing so when great stuff like this shows up it feels special.

Nice.

A couple of days ago I was hunting a yard which has yielded a large number of 1940s wheat pennies and I found a thick penny. VERY THICK! Thought I had found my first fatty but discovered I found a wheat penny sandwich. 3 stuck together. I can barely read 1947 on one but nothing on the other end.
Decided to leave them together. Like them better this way.

Well, that's weird. A couple days ago, I too dug a three penny stuck stack. One was a 40-something wheat, but the other 2 were 60-somethings. I just couldn't leave them as is. You have some strong will there!

Back
Top Bottom