I think this is a steel penny. UPDATED.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Found this penny shaped rusty thing next to a small spill of wheats. I've convinced myself it's a 1943 steel wheat. What do you think? Would it be possible to get any detail at all if I tumbled it with some aquarium gravel?

UPDATE: I tumbled this with aquarium gravel, then wrapped it in paper towel and struck it with a hammer. It completely crumbled to rusty dust. Haha.

Attachments

• 20171110_235119_resized.jpg
    20171110_235119_resized.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 20171110_235140_resized.jpg
    20171110_235140_resized.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Found this penny shaped rusty thing next to a small spill of wheats. I've convinced myself it's a 1943 steel wheat. What do you think? Would it be possible to get any detail at all if I tumbled it with some aquarium gravel?

Hit it with a hammer. You have nothing to lose. I used to have to do it to some Roman coins I would dig. You would be amazed at how good some of those looked under the crust.

I had one just like that, decided to start picking away the rust. Ended up having a nice whole in the middle......washer. :mad:

Did some one mention washers:p Dug a 1999 washer yesterday,but usually no date lol

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 288
Hit it with a hammer. You have nothing to lose. I used to have to do it to some Roman coins I would dig. You would be amazed at how good some of those looked under the crust.

Im going to show it off at my monthly metal detecting groups meeting this week. Then I'll hit it with a hammer and tumble it some. I'll keep you posted. Maybe it's just a penny shaped washer. We shall see.

UPDATE: I tumbled this with aquarium gravel, then wrapped it in paper towel and struck it with a hammer. It completely crumbled to rusty dust. Haha

Back
Top Bottom