Problems with the Excal II

TheMaddMan

Elite Member
Started getting falsing tones. Yesterday, it would suddenly give a high, whining tone on occasion, even though the coil was 4' off the ground with nothing around it. Any suggestions? Otherwise, have to find the closest of the 2 Minelab repair shops (since Kellyco is no longer under contract with Minelab, so I hear). It has done this occasionally for a couple of months, usually just charge the battery and it goes right along, not lately.

New battery most likely is needed or you have a dirty plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low battery. Try using a butter knife to separate those prongs a bit. Which machine....... blue (700mah) or Xcal II (1000mah)? You battery should test over 13dcv. Test your charger too. Sometimes people with the 700 mah dont leave it on the charger long enough..... takes a good 14 hours to fully charge one and maybe bring it back.

Also, if all that checks out...... remove the screw on the male connector and se if you have corrosion inside the connector.

Dew

That exact same thing happened with my Excalibur II and I was able to remedy it with an overnight battery charge. Possibly check the cables. Good luck!

I’ve been putting off ordering an extra battery for it, went ahead today and ordered it from Myers. Old battery had charged for 2 days, hunted with it 2 hours tops yesterday before it started falsing. Just waiting on the new one to come in and try it.

Falsing is different than a low battery. You might want to check those outter O rings especially on the threshold knob. It and the sensitivity knobs get used the most. People really need to check those ...... see if you have any wobble once its removed.... sometimes a tiny bit of water can get past all those O rings after being in the water awhile if they are bad. You dont notice it for awhile then the falsing can start.

Dew

Excal needs a min of 12 volts to run, once it drops below 12 volts problems will develop as voltage drops, a fully charged battery should be between 12 and 15 volts depending on the age of the battery. A sudden wailing sound that comes and goes is a low battery indication. Be sure you fully charge the battery, best option is a smart charger for the battery, it will give you a full charge in about 3 hours then switch to trickle charge so you can leave the battery on the charger and not worry about over charging it.

Like Dew suggested check the power pins, be sure there is equal gap between the halves of each power pin.

Be sure you have a light coating of silicone grease ( non petroleum base) on the ikelite gasket on the power cable that plugs into your battery.

O-rings should be changed every 2-3 years to ensure they are in good condition and not dried out, a small leak can cause major damage. If knobs become stiff and hard to turn the o-rings are drying out. Sometimes on new excals knobs can be hard to turn because they were not greased properly when detector was built.

TH..... i like those smart chargers. Got a couple of the 1600 batteries when they came out and was having trouble with them. Just werent charging and they were almost new. What i was told is if those batteries are allowed to get to low the smart charger wont recognize them... yet you will get a green light. They arent bad.....i was told to put them on a slower charger......the ML one and let them charge for a few days. Seemed to work.

KellyCo Minelab repairs

KellyCo is still doing work on Minelab. (To the best of my knowledge) I just got my Excal back after headphone replacement. It took an eternity and wasn’t cheap.

Sounds just like what my Whites MXT All Pro was doing when I used the 10" double D loop that came with it. After about a year it started making a high pitch whining sound, & I'd have to turn the sensitivity way down to continue detecting. Called Whites and explained it to them & they knew what the problem was right over the phone......the coil was going out. They sent me a new one on warranty & I haven't had a problem since!

I'm leaning toward the battery. I charged the older battery 48 hours prior to using it. Still had the whining noise. Charged it again another 36 hours, works fine. In the mean time, I ordered a new battery from Phil, got it in, charged it, and installed it yesterday, used it for about an hour with no problems.

I'm leaning toward the battery. I charged the older battery 48 hours prior to using it. Still had the whining noise. Charged it again another 36 hours, works fine. In the mean time, I ordered a new battery from Phil, got it in, charged it, and installed it yesterday, used it for about an hour with no problems.

If you charging the battery for 48 and 36 hours using stock charger your over charging batteries. The max charge time on stock battery is 16 hours unless your using a smart charger.

Mad....... sometimes a smart charger isnt the best chose to use on say a 700mah thats seen its better day. Yes it charges faster...... but sometime it shows a green light...... just because the charge is too low and it dont recognize it. Other issues..... if there is a couple of bad cells it might continue to try and charge it.... causing it to get HOT, which can crack a cap. so i recommend if you get a charger..... get a new battery too.

Dew

if someone is using an excal with a 700 or 900 Mah stock battery it is way best it's life and should be replaced. Mah drop as battery ages from recharges. I had one that was 700 mah but only tested at 450mah due to it's age.

O-rings should be changed every 2-3 years to ensure they are in good condition and not dried out, a small leak can cause major damage. If knobs become stiff and hard to turn the o-rings are drying out. Sometimes on new excals knobs can be hard to turn because they were not greased properly when detector was built.

:hmmm: Sent an Excal in for repair twice over the last three years. Both times the knobs were much stiffer than when I sent it in, so I figured it was the other way around... if the knobs were loose, it meant they were dry. :shrug:

R5

Back
Top Bottom