• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

need tips hunting creeks and rivers

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am going to start hunting creeks and rivers in north atlanta. all of this area was populated back to the early 1800's. I use the AT Pro in the pro zero mode.

thanks for your help.

I'm not far from you but I seemed to just find tons of junk that has been washed down stream in the few creeks I've been in.

Well, I've only detected creeks a couple of times, here is what I have learned:

Mud bottom creeks are easier to detect... I can't find any mud bottom creeks where I live though :(

Rocky bottom creeks move constantly, the "bottom" from last year is 3 feet deeper than it is this year, as in, rocks are pushed and cover the bottom so deeply, that finding anything more than a fresh pop tab has proven impossible for me in the few places that I have tried...

Using a hand scoop does not work on a creek like you would think it would. The target has to be shallow enough that you can see the bottom and be able to reach the bottom to actually scoop the target

Rock bottom creeks do not "shake out" of your scoop, you have to literally dump the rocks out somewhere or in your hand

Regular sand scoops, regardless of hand help or on a handle, do not work in rocky bottom creeks, as they are not built to withstand the constant grinding and weight of the rocky bottoms... get a scoop designed for rocks, or oyu will constantly be replacing your scoop.

I have personally had MUCH better luck on trails leading TO the creeks, and up on creek banks.

NONE of that is to say your area will be the same, just sharing my personal exeriences and what I have learned, in MY area. :)

My favorite creek side hunt story, the condensed version:

I was detecting a local creek, and a girl was sitting there drying on a towel, she had a smoke and asked me "Do people really lose alot of stuff for oyu to find at creeks?"

I said "You'd be surprised how easy it is to lose stuff...lol" She just shook her head in disbelief. A short time later she says "Well, good luck!" as she started for her car.

A few minutes later I worked my way over to see if SHE had lost anything.... I looked down on the ground where her towel had been, and she had forgotten both of her lighters! I put them in my pouch and used them for lighting the grill for over a year! THANKS for saving me a few dollars! :lol:

From my experience hunting rivers and creeks can be hard and tiring mainly due to rock bottoms and the current... especially if you in deeper water. You are constantly fighting the current by the time you are even half way to your knees.

On a side note, I used to work for a river park and would sometimes float down the river on a large size tire tube... they can be pricey, because they are tough and much better than the cheap intex brand !!!! you can buy and easier to fix. Reason i bring this up is because I would float down sometimes after work and literally just pick up cans and bottles (in Cali most are worth recycle value). Within a few trips I had paid off my expensive tire lol... and cleaned the enviroment.... lol.... honestly have made more money doing that then river or creek hunting 😂

i tried searching the river up the road from me and one thing i learned is it is NOT an easy task! between the slime on the rocks, the size of the rocks and the general feeling that i was going to break my neck or an ankle or my coil, it just wasn't worth the effort in this particular river.
but i would highly recommend decent footwear with a non-slip sole! :yes:

What are you thinking the bottom consists of? Are you thinking of wading or snorkeling? What is your experience water hunting?

I will be doing wading up to waist deep probably. No scuba or no snorkling.
most of the creeks around here are really small streams ankle deep with some 1-3 foot pools. rocky, sandy bottoms. maybe some muddy spots.

the river is the Chattahoochee river and only a few shoals are available to the public where you can wade in the water when the river level is down. The level is controlled by storms and water release at mostly the same time every day from Buford dam up on lake lanier. So where I will hunt on the river is bedrock, rocky and sandy. I have been trying to locate the actual ferry sites on the Chattahoochee in Atlanta. There are lots of ferry sites since in the 1800's that was the only way to get across the river. Later they were replaced by wooden or steel bridges. Most ferries are near the old bridge locations, but exactly where I don't know and cannot find any info by using the Internet. At most the literature says the old bridge site was near the old ferry and the new (modern) bridge was typically near the old bridge site, but not always. This is about all I have to go on so far.

I will be doing wading up to waist deep probably. No scuba or no snorkling.
most of the creeks around here are really small streams ankle deep with some 1-3 foot pools. rocky, sandy bottoms. maybe some muddy spots.

the river is the Chattahoochee river and only a few shoals are available to the public where you can wade in the water when the river level is down. The level is controlled by storms and water release at mostly the same time every day from Buford dam up on lake lanier. So where I will hunt on the river is bedrock, rocky and sandy. I have been trying to locate the actual ferry sites on the Chattahoochee in Atlanta. There are lots of ferry sites since in the 1800's that was the only way to get across the river. Later they were replaced by wooden or steel bridges. Most ferries are near the old bridge locations, but exactly where I don't know and cannot find any info by using the Internet. At most the literature says the old bridge site was near the old ferry and the new (modern) bridge was typically near the old bridge site, but not always. This is about all I have to go on so far.

Do you know if there are any laws about metal detecting in the Hooch, I have looked up laws so many times for it and have never found out anything about the laws.

Thanks!

Creeks and rivers are all different and about as random as snowflakes. There is usually a lot of trash , everything seems to make its way to the water. Search down stream of any potential river crossing , stuff rarely ever stays where it is dropped. Look for catch spots , depressions in the creek bed , large rocks , river bends , gravel beds , etc. As things work their way down river they normally take the straightest path possible until they get stuck somewhere.

Do you know if there are any laws about metal detecting in the Hooch, I have looked up laws so many times for it and have never found out anything about the laws....

When you "looked up the laws many times", what did you find ? I'm assuming you found "laws" right ? And if you never saw md'ing mentioned, then that would mean it's silent on the issue. And if it's silent on the issue, then it's not prohibited. Now go look for that ring your wife lost last week.

When you "looked up the laws many times", what did you find ? I'm assuming you found "laws" right ? And if you never saw md'ing mentioned, then that would mean it's silent on the issue. And if it's silent on the issue, then it's not prohibited. Now go look for that ring your wife lost last week.

Tom,

There was a thread somewhere either here or on the other site we are on that stated it was illegal to hunt that river. You were a big part of that thread.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Tom,

There was a tread somewhere either here or on the other site we are on that stated it was illegal to hunt that river. You were a big part of that thread.

Am I missing something?

No. You're not missing something. Because I too vaguely recall something about the "hooch river". But I don't know remember the outcome of that thread. I was just going by the current mention of it. And the person appearing to say he could find nothing addressing md'ing.

Oh, and also: Just because someone "finds no mention" at whatever location he's fretting about: That could also mean that they're simply not finding the full-listing of park /location rules/laws. That could be the reason for the "silence" they are finding.

If someone is suspicious they have not found a comprehensive list of rules for some place, then IMHO it does not mean "therefore go ask 'can I?' ". If they are worried they haven't found a comprehensive list, then they should go ask in this way: "Hi. Where can I find a list of all the rules and/or laws governing the recreational use of such & such?" "Ie.: fishing limits, use of fireworks, dogs off-leash ok or not, etc....". The power-that-be directs you to the source (it is certainly in print SOMEWHERE, eh ?). Then IMHO, you'd done your due-diligence.

But yes: I did scratch my head when I saw "hooch", and recalled that specific geographic locale had come up before. Would have to do a key-word search to refresh.

Do you know if there are any laws about metal detecting in the Hooch, I have looked up laws so many times for it and have never found out anything about the laws.

Thanks!

here is what I have learned. Federal parks almost always prohibit you from metal detecting. Most of Lake Lanier is federal controlled. Along the Chattahooche river, there are some National parks. One is at Medlock Bridge crossing State route #141 in Peachtree Corners. Your best bet is city and county parks along the river and creeks. They rarely prohibit metal detecting.
Historical areas are a big no, no. In some it is a felony just to have a metal detector in the historical areas and even in your trunk in the park parking lot.

At lake lanier I have gone to some of the parks and beaches and the officials have let me metal detect if I stay on the sandy beaches in front of the yellow tube swimming areas. If you want to do this go during the week when they are not busy. I would not try on the weekend in the summer when they are super busy. Have hunted those beaches several times with finding some clad and that is about it. Not even close to ocean beaches in front of expensive hotels which is where you find the really nice dropped gold.

I am going to start hunting creeks and rivers in north atlanta. all of this area was populated back to the early 1800's. I use the AT Pro in the pro zero mode.

thanks for your help.

Look up my buddies videos on YouTube “hiluxyota”. The rivers and creeks can be awesome. Look at old maps for where your ferry’s may have been or where damns where. Try and find old swimming holes as well. I love the rivers because you dig it all and find lots of cool relics that you wouldn’t normally dig. If your doing rivers with rock bottom a pick is nessesary to get through the rocks and get to the target. Hiluxyota was selling them and he is a member here send him a pm of you need one. He isn’t on here often so if you have issues send me a pm and I will give him a call for you.

Look up my buddies videos on YouTube “hiluxyota”. The rivers and creeks can be awesome. Look at old maps for where your ferry’s may have been or where damns where. Try and find old swimming holes as well. I love the rivers because you dig it all and find lots of cool relics that you wouldn’t normally dig. If your doing rivers with rock bottom a pick is nessesary to get through the rocks and get to the target. Hiluxyota was selling them and he is a member here send him a pm of you need one. He isn’t on here often so if you have issues send me a pm and I will give him a call for you.

You know Tom? Wow! Some of the best New video's out there and they are real. My next trip to Chicago you guys might seem me floating down stream..:fishin:

You know Tom? Wow! Some of the best New video's out there and they are real. My next trip to Chicago you guys might seem me floating down stream..:fishin:

Yeah he’s a good buddy of mine and a great guy. Yep his videos are real I can tell you that for sure. You better give me a heads up if your in this neck of the woods next summer. We will hit the rivers, I owe you one after all the advise on building my waterproof headphones for my CTX.

I plan on hunting some local creeks next summer. What's a good scoop for creeks with small stones and gravel on the bottom?

Back
Top Bottom