Heading to Benton Harbor tomorrow

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I'm heading to my sister's father in law's lake house tomorrow...gonna hit the private beach (that's never been detected before). He has two lots worth of beach...hopefuly I'll find something, although there also haven't been that many people at the beach...but it will be fun either way.

Also, my nephew has an Ace 250 that he doesn't use...he's willing to sell it....so I'll likely buy that to go with my F2....

Huh! No kidding! I've got family there that I visit from time to time (they definitely don't (and never will) have a lake house. :lol:

Let's see-- Silver Beach is the only one I remember by name, but I know there are a couple other beach parks to the north and south, as well as dune parks. I imagine Silver Beach either gets hunted thoroughly or hunting is banned there. I've only been detecting for less than a year, so I never brought a detector with me when visiting.

Interesting, though! Best of luck on the private beach!

Also, if the beach is on Lake Michigan, it's not private. Lake Michigan falls under the riparian laws and everything is public up to the ordinary high water line. I'll let you decide what constitutes as "ordinary".

Also, if the beach is on Lake Michigan, it's not private. Lake Michigan falls under the riparian laws and everything is public up to the ordinary high water line. I'll let you decide what constitutes as "ordinary".

Even if the deed specifically includes the beach?

Even if the deed specifically includes the beach?

Yep. If the land touches water that is in the Great Lakes and eventually drains into the Mississippi and/or St Lawrence river you do not own the land below the high water mark or the bottom of the lake it's self.
People can walk and swim the entire Lake Michigan shore.

Yep. If the land touches water that is in the Great Lakes and eventually drains into the Mississippi and/or St Lawrence river you do not own the land below the high water mark or the bottom of the lake it's self.
People can walk and swim the entire Lake Michigan shore.

Really? No private property?

Back
Top Bottom