How do I clean this?

Semtav

Elite Member
Found a Ford plate at a homestead hunt this morning. How would I clean it up so the writing shows up better. I washed it with water

The pic makes it clearer, but it really doesn't show up this good in real life.

$12.95 new from Snyder's : http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ford-plate-cover

fda09252880144a7ccdb4fcb16503057.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion, don't clean it much. It's beautiful. At most, I'd take a soft nylon brush to it and shine up the existing patina a little, then maybe a little micro crystalline wax just to keep it that way.Takes too long for a piece to look that old, don't ruin it.

In my humble opinion, don't clean it much. It's beautiful. At most, I'd take a soft nylon brush to it and shine up the existing patina a little, then maybe a little micro crystalline wax just to keep it that way.Takes too long for a piece to look that old, don't ruin it.

^^^ This^^^ Don't touch it... Just don't. It is perfect.

^^^ This^^^ Don't touch it... Just don't. It is perfect.

You were very lucky to find it in an undamaged condition. Doesn't need anything more.

OK, thanks. If it showed up in real life, like it does in the picture, I wouldn't but it is much dirtier and you can't see the writing very well. may just wash it a couple more times very gently.

I cant really believe I got it out of the ground without damage. that ground is like a rock. It must have just been in a soft spot. plus I got real lucky on the dig.

Last edited:
Yours is original leave it that way. For Display purposes print out the repro and put in in a case next to yours so people know what it is. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom