Nox Review

adamBomb

Finally got my hands on the new Equinox. I chose the 600 vs the 800. I got it for $649 and couldn't be happier with that price!

So why the 600 vs the 800? Well unless you are prospecting for Gold, I don't see the need for the 800, at least for beach detecting. The 800 is more money and comes with headphones that aren't waterproof nor as good as bluetooth headphones you can buy at the store so the price just didn't make sense. For those of us detecting on the beach, the 600 is all you need but either will work. Personally, I just couldn't justify the price difference for a machine that will detects the beach exactly the same and has a gold mode that I will never use. After all, I am a beach hunter. I doubt I will ever take the Nox off beach mode. In my review, I will talk about the machine compared to the CTX3030, Excal, and CZ21

First impressions out of the box:

Build: Very easy to put together and lighter than the CTX, Excal, or CZ21. Does feel flimsy but is so much lighter.

Headphone options: You can use any bluetooth headphones. I prefer wired but enjoy the option. For beach detecting, I use waterproof wired headphones. Still not sure what I am going to use for the Nox but as of now I'm just using the ones that came with it or none at all (surprisingly this works just fine for the nox).

Battery: I think this is a big downfall of the machine compared to others - You cannot easily remove the battery and doing so voids the warranty (at least that's what I am getting from my research). Minelab stated, before the machine was released, that users might able to replace it but in their manual they specifically state that you must return to a repair center to do so. This means that if your battery goes you are kind of stuck and will need to send in for repair. These batteries are known to wear down over time (think how your cell phone battery doesn't last as long as it did new)...so in 6-12 months from now will you be able to hunt all day with the equinox? I'm not sure. I have seen a few workarounds for this, such as carrying a charger and battery pack, but come on, that is a pain and just adds weight, which is the big advantage this machine has. The CTX, Excal, and CZ21 all had removable batteries with the CZ21/CTX having AA options for all day hunting. Now, there are already videos for replacing the battery and it seems really easy but if it breaks your warranty your can't really do this for 3 years. Here's to hoping these batteries last!

Battery charging: Must be charged via USB. I like this but it should of come with a plug. This may annoy other people. I also don't like I need to have the whole unit attached to the charger. That is somewhat of a pain. But I believe its things like this that kept the cost down, so I will deal with it for the lower price!

Price: Obviously $650 for this detector is a nice price. I am very content with the price and feel detectors shouldn't really be much more than this.

Instruction Manual: Is only online so those who like print version will need to print themselves. It does come with a quick start guide. Personally, I am glad they aren't wasting the paper.

Other: Comes with screen protectors which is a nice bonus.

Overall out of the box: The price and weight are great. But everything else is lacking compared to the CTX. The CTX has a better battery system and feels very solid when built compared to the equinox. I feel like I am starting to see why the equinox is so inexpensive.

Setting up Machine/settings:

It took me about 30 minutes to read the manual and run through the settings on the machine. There honestly aren't that many. In some ways, thats good, and it does seem to have the main ones that I need on the beach. This machine seems pretty easy to set up and go. In some ways the CTX is like that as well once its set up, its just there are way more settings to choose from (a lot more). Once the CTX is set up, its turn on and go too.

Discrimination: I think this is where a machine like the CTX outshines the Equinox. On the CTX you can create patterns for searching. There is nothing at all like this on the Equinox. While you can discriminate numbers, I am not sure how accurate the single number system is compared to the double number system that the CTX has. I got this machine to really discrim Iron vs Non Iron. If you wanted to say take out pennies, I don't think you can do it with this machine. My test penny range up the same number as my test gold ring. So if you are in a field with pennies, the CTX would win out big time because you can't avoid them with this machine whereas with the CTX you can avoid them every time. Additionally, now that I have been using it live, the numbers jump. I have had pennies ring from 16-22.

Volume: Very loud option. I could probably detect on quiet days with no headphones. In fact, I detected without headphones. I wanted to try it and it worked just fine. I could do this with the CTX too. Can't do this with machines that use all metal though like the CZ/Excal.

Brightness: No need to use brightness unless detecting at night from what I could tell. It was very bright in the daylight and sun without the backlight.

Ground balance: Not something I am going to use on this machine. Not needed at my beaches.

Tones: By default the beach setting has 5 tones. That's honestly perfect. I always thought the 3 on my CZ21 was perfect. No need for more for my tastes. Keep in mind this is personal preference. The CTX had 50 tones and I could see where that could be helpful.

Pinpoint: Works pretty similarly as the CTX. Press the button and pinpoint.

All metal: This isn't really an all metal mode. Its just that the machine doesn't disc out iron. It's not all metal like the Excal or CZ21.

Overall settings: Overall setting up the machine is pretty easy. There aren't a lot of settings. I think this is really geared towards the beginner detector. But it does have all of the necessary ones I have really ever needed. Its definitely no CTX which has every customizable option available.

Air tests:

First what I am noticing is that the numbers are useful for identifying but not perfect. In fact, you have to dig everything but iron with this machine. It cannot discriminate like a CTX/Etrac.

So here are the results of the air test:

In Beach mode 1, with standard settings (20 sens, etc).

Penny: 10.5''
Dime: 10''
Nickel: 12''
Quarter: 11''
Silver 1oz: 9''
Gold Ring 10K: 14''

In Beach mode 2, with standard settings (20 sens, etc).

Penny: 12''
Dime: 11''
Nickel: 12''
Quarter: 12''
Silver 1oz: 10''
Gold Ring 10K: 14''

Then for fun I put the sensitivity on 25 (max) for beach 2:

Gold Ring 10K: 19''

So what did I learn? It seems that Beach mode 2 might be deeper. It also affirms that sensitivity does affect depth. I also learned that this machine air tests just as well as the CZ21, Excal, and CTX (11' coil). However the CTX with 17' coil is much deeper.

*Note - I have read various explanations on the validity of air testing. Some use science to show that an air test is the max depth a detector can ever get and some use science to show just the reverse. This is especially tricky with multifrequency machines who are looking for mineralization/ground. The main point is that you can learn how your machine works, how it reacts, etc and no matter what you believe about air tests, in that regard, they are useful.

Beach Tests (15 hrs on machine thus far):

The machine definitely finds small pieces of metal. Much smaller than what I feel like I normally find with my other machines; almost felt like a PI in that regard. Digging up small pieces of can, like smaller than my pinky nail, was not fun and I kept having to consistently do it, especially on the dry beach.

So far I have found tons of aluminum, metal scraps, bottle caps, earrings, pennies, dimes, quarters, etc. I've already noted that one of my gold rings has similar numbers to a penny - well so does a corona bottle cap. Most of the pull tabs ranged in the 13-16 range and pennies were closer to 20 though one I found was a 16 and another a 22. Foil seems to be in the 1-10 range. I have yet to find any silver but from my air tests it should ring up much higher than any of that stuff. One thing I have noted is that the numbers definitely change as you move closer to the target. They can be pretty off at first and then as I move some sand they tell me a little more about the object probably is. I don't think this machine will disc well at depth, but I guess I didn't expect that either. Overall from my tests and use I can tell that this machine is a dig everything that beeps machine. This can be problematic on a trashy beach.

As far as depth, everything I dug was pretty close to the surface, maybe at most 8 inches down unless it was a piece of wire that was deep or a tent pole. Pretty much everything was one scoop. Not sure that really speaks to much as maybe there just wasn't anything down there. Considering its early in the beach season here this isn't surprising. I will revisit this as the summer starts moving along in late May/June when I start finding those deep rings!

I've hunted on Beach 1 and 2. Beach 2 seems to get more depth so I am sticking there. I started with sensitivity 20 but then was able to move it up to around 22/23. I think my beaches are good at that level. I've detected at 3 beaches so far that both have very different mineralization from one another and require much different sens settings on the CTX. I was able to keep it at 20 on each and move up to 21-23. The closer the water I get the closer to 20 it needed to be.

The detector feels really light, almost like my old bounty hunter tracker IV, which was my first detector. I could hunt all day and then some with that thing because it was so light. I don't think I will ever have a problem with the weight of this machine, making it perfect for hot summer days.

Depth comparison to my other detectors:

Please see my blog for this table, it didn't show up right when I pasted it here: https://detectinggold.blogspot.com/2018/04/equinox-review-to-be-updated-as-i-go.html

*Please note that I didn't do these on the same day. These have been done over time. Same location, same quarter, nickel, gold ring, etc were used. They are all part of my test stash. Each of these tests was done after I spent time with the machine learning how to get it deeper. The Nox settings were all beach 2 here.

Overall:

So wow, this machine is awesome for $650. I am really happy with it. There are some disadvantages compared to other machines like the ability to disc out targets but also some advantages, like the light weight. For me, I think its all I need. Its very hot where I live so the weight of this machine means more detecting time because less weight = less sweat. My beaches are also usually pretty clean and I mostly detect the wetsand so I don't really need to disc out pennies. If I were a dry sand hunter I would probably prefer the disc of the CTX. So if I could have one machine would this be it? I think the CTX still fits that bill. The CTX is light enough, has more settings/options, more coils (though they are coming for the nox), and a removeable battery. Then again is $2500 compared to a $650 nox. The nox is more like another tool in the tool box but it can be your only detector. If price is an issue, I would hands down just get the nox. Its going to find everything the CTX will and that's what is most important in my book. I don't think the options on the CTX are worth the extra price but then I don't think a BMW is worth the price either when my ford fusion gets me from point A to point B just the same...but that doesn't mean they won't be for you.

Last edited:
Your battery research is outdated. Minelab is coming out with replacement batteries and a video on how to replace.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2443018

I have a couple of questions

1. Do you really think the 600 will get as deep a target as the CTX?

2. You say the 600 is lighter than the CZ-21. Do you actually hunt with the housing on the shaft of the CZ-21?

3. An ounce of silver is actually detected at less depth than a clad quarter?

Last edited:
Great review. I have been on the fence. I'm sticking with the ATPro for this season, but I will probably end up with a nox next spring.

Your battery research is outdated. Minelab is coming out with replacement batteries and a video on how to replace.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2443018

I have a couple of questions

1. Do you really thing the 600 will get as deep a target as the CTX?

2. You say the 600 is lighter than the CZ-21. Do you actually hunt with the housing on the shaft of the CZ-21?

3. An ounce of silver is actually detected at less depth than a clad quarter?

Yea I hope they do allow us to change the battery. Fingers crossed. :cool:

To answer your questions:

1. With the standard coil, I think they are pretty similar, along with the others. But with the 17'' coil, the CTX just smokes everything. Once the nox has the 15'' coil, IDK but I am really curious to compare. Some machines are more hot then others but from my air tests they appear to all be pretty similar. Air tests are tricky (can be inaccurate) with the multifrequency machines though...

2. for the cz21, I do hunt with it on the shaft. Taking it off can wear down the wires and I just don't like having the wire attached to my belt/chest. I do use the holder sold on ebay so its more ergonomic but that thing is still a beast. Its even heavier than the stock excal.

3. Weird, right? Tried two different pieces of silver with the same result. CTX did the same thing. One was a silver shaped bullet and the other was a 1oz silver square in plastic.

First what I am noticing is that the numbers are useful for identifying but not perfect. In fact, you have to dig everything but iron with this machine. It cannot discriminate like a CTX/Etrac.

I will totally disagree with this statement. I have all 3 and i just do not want others to think this is true. I will give a slight edge to the Etrac and CTX but very slight.

Yea I hope they do allow us to change the battery. Fingers crossed. :cool:

To answer your questions:

1. With the standard coil, I think they are pretty similar, along with the others. But with the 17'' coil, the CTX just smokes everything. Once the nox has the 15'' coil, IDK but I am really curious to compare. Some machines are more hot then others but from my air tests they appear to all be pretty similar. Air tests are tricky (can be inaccurate) with the multifrequency machines though...

2. for the cz21, I do hunt with it on the shaft. Taking it off can wear down the wires and I just don't like having the wire attached to my belt/chest. I do use the holder sold on ebay so its more ergonomic but that thing is still a beast. Its even heavier than the stock excal.

3. Weird, right? Tried two different pieces of silver with the same result. CTX did the same thing. One was a silver shaped bullet and the other was a 1oz silver square in plastic.

That is what they try to tell you. I have been wading and diving with them since 2002 and I have never had a wire problem. I ALWAYS hip mount it, You are correct. a beast in a half to have on the shaft.

Thank you for the review.

I will be using the Equinox in two of my dive places. I think it will do well. However there is no way I will take it to a lake where I might go deeper than 10 foot, nor will I take it to bullet beach where thousands and thousands of pre WW1 30 cal shells are scattered everywhere and the necks of probably a third of them are broken off. I am positive those little pieces of brass will drive this machine and me bonkers.

For any reading this review, be careful this machine is not a dig everything above iron if you want to cherry pick it is an excellent machine! I advise to read all you can and watch all the videos you can before making a decision on any review for that matter.

I do not like to butt in ,,, but the statement he made about having to dig everything above iron like a beep and dig machine is just not accurate information and is very misleading.

Nice review.
A tip.
When charging an owner can take upper stem assembly apart and this reduces the size of the detector, then plug in and charge.

For any reading this review, be careful this machine is not a dig everything above iron if you want to cherry pick it is an excellent machine! I advise to read all you can and watch all the videos you can before making a decision on any review for that matter.

I do not like to butt in ,,, but the statement he made about having to dig everything above iron like a beep and dig machine is just not accurate information and is very misleading.

I disagree about the cherry picking part. I have had silver dimes ring in as pennies and Canadian pennies ring up as dimes. I could cherry pick a lot easier with my E-Trac.

IF you want every single silver dime you get over, you have to dig any target that comes in a 24 and up on the VDI.

The E-Trac gave a beautiful high pitched tone and the cursor was all the way to the right on silver.

I disagree about the cherry picking part. I have had silver dimes ring in as pennies and Canadian pennies ring up as dimes. I could cherry pick a lot easier with my E-Trac.

IF you want every single silver dime you get over, you have to dig any target that comes in a 24 and up on the VDI.

The E-Trac gave a beautiful high pitched tone and the cursor was all the way to the right on silver.

Silver by itself no other targets, both give solid id and tone. Silver mixed with iron or other non ferrous trash both give nice tone and skewed Id. I have dug silver as low as 11-41 with etrac and 25-40 fact is all detectors will be skewed with multiple targets under coil.

If you only dig 12-45-48 with etrac you are cherry picking for sure but missing alot. Same with Nox if you dig only 26-33 you are missing silver as well.

So if you want close to every silver under say an etrac, you must dig anything from 11-40 or higher co and every fe from 11 to 27 with at least a co of 40 or higher. Not any easier actually.

Agreed. I have had no problem cherry picking silver with my Nox. I can call it silver vs clad vs junk nearly every time after about 100hrs of use on the Nox. Silver dimes always ring up higher than clad dimes in my soil for example.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have had no problem cherry picking silver with my Nox. I can call it silver vs clad vs junk nearly every time after about 100hrs of use on the Nox. Silver dimes always ring up higher than clad dimes in my soil for example.

I think that on almost ALL machines that same silver will read out slightly higher than Clad.
I also suspect that every time you are right and it IS silver, then one tells themselves "see I KNEW it"

but ..

How many times when you dug that "silver", the target turned out to be a Corona or Pacifico Bottle Cap :?: I am betting the "I KNEW it" came to mind too.

I think that on almost ALL machines that same silver will read out slightly higher than Clad.
I also suspect that every time you are right and it IS silver, then one tells themselves "see I KNEW it"

but ..

How many times when you dug that "silver", the target turned out to be a Corona or Pacifico Bottle Cap :?: I am betting the "I KNEW it" came to mind too.
Obviously there are always times you will be fooled with any detector. I have been fooled many times while using my etrac and CTX as well. The point was that you can cherry pick pretty good with the Nox. It is NOT a dig everything machine. I can hunt for hours with nox now and end up with no zincs and only 3 or 4 pieces of trash while piling up clad quarters and a silver dime or 2 and other good finds.

For the record I have not had any bottle cap or other junk come up with same number or tone exactly like a silver dime yet.

Obviously there are always times you will be fooled with any detector. I have been fooled many times while using my etrac and CTX as well. The point was that you can cherry pick pretty good with the Nox. It is NOT a dig everything machine. I can hunt for hours with nox now and end up with no zincs and only 3 or 4 pieces of trash while piling up clad quarters and a silver dime or 2 and other good finds.

For the record I have not had any bottle cap or other junk come up with same number or tone exactly like a silver dime yet.

It is a dig all machine. They all are on the beach. If you are passing up zinc pennies on the nox, you are potentially passing up gold, since they can have the same numbers. In my first day with the nox a penny and my 10kt gold wedding band rang up the same. I mean I could pass up 1s, because its probably foil, but some chains are ringing up as 1s. The two digits + digital display of the CTX gives you more information than the nox and thus is better able to discriminate, which is why its going to be more accurate in that regard, far from perfect, but better than the nox at it.

It is a dig all machine. They all are on the beach. If you are passing up zinc pennies on the nox, you are potentially passing up gold, since they can have the same numbers. In my first day with the nox a penny and my 10kt gold wedding band rang up the same. I mean I could pass up 1s, because its probably foil, but some chains are ringing up as 1s. The two digits + digital display of the CTX gives you more information than the nox and thus is better able to discriminate, which is why its going to be more accurate in that regard, far from perfect, but better than the nox at it.
I don't beach hunt. I live in Nebraska lol so I don't see beaches very often. I am referring to land hunting only.

Ok i will agree then for beach hunting, i do not get to do that and i was thinking in my mind land hunting , where all my experience is. Sorry about that i was not thinking beaches only. I liked your write up btw.

one thing that made me choose the 800 over the 600 was the ability to adjust tone settings. I have some hearing problems and this was a big deal for me so I spent the extra cash.

Back
Top Bottom