Newbie Needs Help

J

Jeanabelle

Hello folks. This forum seems to have the best folks around. I am very new to this hobby. I just bought a new Ace 250. I have read the manual and a number of books relating to detecting. I am still very confused.

I recently purchased an OLD,(over 200 yrs) farmhouse on 25 acres in rural Maine. The house was in the same family until I bought it. It is supposed to be the 3rd oldest house in the area. The woman I bought it from gave me pictures of the house with horses and wagons out front. It has a four bay carriage house as well. It had, (burned down in 1959), a 100'x60' barn.

While preparing the house for a B&B that we will be opening, I found old items in the yard which prompted my purchase of the Ace 250. This metal detector constantly goes pinging everywhere I attempt to use it. I have dug up many many relics, such as old horsehoes, bottles, a silver flack, square nails, baking tins, buckles, door hinges, an animal trap and many other items. I have yet to find a coin. Do I need to set the discriminator in a different direction?

This land was almost all farm land and logging camps. What would my settings be on? Thanks for any help. If anyone is in the area, Stop by and give me a hand.
Jeannie in Maine

I don't have a 250 but you will have to clear a section of those larger relics before you will propbably find any coins. Some of those relics are probbably worth more than the coins anyway. Rob

Welcome Jeanabelle.

Sounds like you're doing OK as far as settings go because you're finding stuff. Sounds to me as if you just need to hit the right places. To increase your odds for finding coins search for places where they have a better chance of being lost.

Some examples would be the clothesline, kids playground and around the front walk of the main house. As has been posted some times you got to clear out some of the other stuff before the coins can be found.

And ...... gosh, I hate to say this to a lady but,

you need to find where the privvy was. :yes:

Great place for finding coins and if you are into old
and potentially valuable bottles, just dig away ... carefully. :grin:

Welcome to the forum ! Sounds like you've got a potentially great hunting ground for some time to come . I've found that a lot of older homesites are peppered with nails , bits of iron , coal cinders, and a vast assortment of " junk " that'll produce an unintelligible melody on a lot of detectors....one strategy is to just grid off a section , ( Maybe 10 yds. by 10 yds.) , and dig every signal...like the other guys said , sometimes you've just got to get some of the junk out of the way to i.d. the good targets...if that proves productive , you'll be motivated to continue that plan of attack...if it's not...time to come up with Plan B...Good luck , and let us know how you're progressing... Roadrunner_426

First off welcome to the forum. And congrats on getting what sounds like an awesome place to hunt. What roadrunner said would be my plan of attack as well. Grid it off, and clear it out. I'm quite sure you will be making some great relic finds in addition to old coins. Keep us posted.

Hi Jeanie, sure wish I could be there to help you....it sounds like a lot of fun. The prob. with discrimination is that you will end up missing a lot of potentially valuable relics.

I guess the best advice I could give you is to grid off your work area, dig EVERY hit, then go over it again. Move on to the next section to grid off and start again.

If you are pressed for time with refurbishment and opening, I would suggest that you contact a local md club and ask for their help. Maybe you can sponsor a weekend hunt or something, you would have to work out the logistics of "who gets to keep the booty".

There are a lot of good people on this forum that live within a hundred miles of you that may be willing to spend a weekend on this property.

Just my 2cents...Aguila :yes: :grin:

Give "Krom" a personal message. He lives in your neck of the woods, and would be able to teach you some things as well. His wife, "Snowy" hunts with him as well. They are stand up people in case you need help.

wrelcome,what i do with old homes is find the kitchen and look out the window where someone would have had a wash line,or look for a tree with a hook in it that would hold a wash line,then go very slow and most of the time you will find a coin or two.and yes the other member was right,you may find something worth more then a few coins,it sounds like you'll be hunting for years to come.hey what you can do is buy a few machines and rent them out to your guests and make up a treasure story and let them go hunt.

Welcome to the forum Jeanie, It sounds like you bought a very historical place that will surely yield some goodies. I have found that coins are not the only treasures out there. You may find lost jewelry, like you said, baking tin, etc... Have heart and think of how the prior owners used the place. It will give you an idea of where they may have dropped or hidden coins or valuables.
I recently was on another site where a lady found and old ponds cold cream jar full of vickies and other collectable coins. Since there weren't banks back then per say, Most people kept their money somewhere near by so they could access it , if needed. , your on the right track, keep with it and the area around your place, you will surely find some collectables. smg

hi jeannie
cool to see another person on this sound forum
just wandering if you have a well on your land or an old water source
good places to check :grin:

Back
Top Bottom