Big Oriental Silver Coun in Central Europe

HERMSDORF

Friends,
It is not often to find a huge Silver Coin, especially if it is an oriental One. I presume it could be a Souvenir from a WWII German Africa Korps Soldier, because it was a 1945 Surrendering Area, What do you think? Something nice?

Kind regards

Andy

Attachments

• DSCF5219.JPG
    DSCF5219.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF5220.JPG
    DSCF5220.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 326
I think I've identified your coin. The date is 1115 Anno Hegira, which would be 1703 in the western (Gregorian calendar). It's an Ottoman zolota and it looks like 1703 was the first year they were minted.

The Ottomans controlled a lot of Eastern Europe from the Middle Ages into the 1800s, so I think it's more likely that the coin made its way to Central Europe from trading and commerce in Ottoman-controlled areas further to the south and east.

Great find!

The coin you used for scale doesn't work on this side of my he pond ! Really really nice find. I love it !

Beauty of a coin! Since there was fighting in north Africa, and all around the Mediterranean during WW2, that would make sense that it was a souveniere or spoil of war, so to speak.

Awesome find!

Great old coin

Friends,
It is not often to find a huge Silver Coin, especially if it is an oriental One. I presume it could be a Souvenir from a WWII German Africa Korps Soldier, because it was a 1945 Surrendering Area, What do you think? Something nice?

Kind regards

Andy
That's an amazing huge old coin!!!
So......What's the story? You found it with a detector? What kind of machine? What kind of site? How deep?
I'm snowed in for months so I need to live through other folks s finds.......
I wish I could see some other forms of scale next to it....
It looks huge.......

Thank you very much Gentlemen for the kind answers, especially @Jodo_Kast501 who identified that coin for me, thank you again, I really appreciate that!

@bobac: It was a typical hunt for WWII artifacts with my Fisher CZ5 some Years ago, Coin was not very deep, approximately 4", it was that loud a clear signal old CZ´s doing on those targets. No other Coins around unfortunately, a single find...

ANDY

Attachments

• DSCF6198.JPG
    DSCF6198.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom