Tesore Sidewinder Umax Setup for Beginner??

73cj5

Elite Member
Just got a tesorso sidewinder umax and was reading the instructions on line and had a question:

What would be the best setting to start out with. i am a beginner, but do not want to be digging tons of junk as my hole cutting techniques need some work as well.

Mode Switch - DISC
DISC LEVEL - 4
SENSITIVITY - any

Here is the link to the manual:

http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/older/umaxsidewinder/

Any help or tips appreciated, Thanks !

The Sidewinder µMax is a real nice detector, toss a few coins,pieces of jewelry,pull tabs,nails,etc on the ground where you can see them (with the discrimination @ minimum setting) and swing over them practicing your pinpointing skills. The Sidewinder has the red pinpoint button as you know & pinpoints really well. You can google or search the forums about something called detuning, once learned (easy to do) you can pinpoint the head of a needle ;):yes:. The Sidewinder µMax looks as sweet as it sounds :wow:

Attachments

• sidewinder4.JPG
    sidewinder4.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 1,732
Ski,

Thanks for the info!

I did a search and read all of your posts before picking it up:)

It looks like a nice little unit and the pinpoint is dead on!

Do you ever use the all metal mode? Beach maybe?

What about the retune?

Thanks again!

Ski,

Thanks for the info!

I did a search and read all of your posts before picking it up:)

It looks like a nice little unit and the pinpoint is dead on!

Do you ever use the all metal mode? Beach maybe?

What about the retune?

Thanks again!
I never use all metal mode with any detector & I don't beach hunt (none around me). This is Wednesday, my night out to have a few with the boys. When I get back home I will "dig up" what I can about detune (not retune, see I am still sober :lol:), not going to guarantee that I won't slur my words but I will do my best to explain what I can. That's if I don't end up like this guy

Attachments

• drunk.jpg
    drunk.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 998
I'm home now, I drank too much, I am pm'in you my phone number so you can call me tomorrow if you want............. Dog gone Whiskey and Pepsi.

That detector is very similar to the silver sabre umax I used to have. I followed the advice I got from the person I bought it from and it worked out really well. Set your disc. to where nickels are pretty clear but just about ready to become scratchy and broken , put the sensitivity about half way and as you are hunting turn it one way or the other until you have it at the maximum setting it will run without falsing. That works good for coins , but if you dont want to miss gold you will have to use a little less disc.

Back
Top Bottom