F2 not so impressive today.

RetiredSoldier9

I'm starting to think my F2 may be bad. I went to a field that I know should have some coins. I set it to dime/quarter only, but it kept beeping on foil, tabs and all kinds of other garbage. Also I noticed when I press pinpoint it beeps constantly. Doesn't matter if I'm close to a target or not. I thought maybe the ground was the issue, but it does this at every site I've been to around my town. So pinpointing is impossible. And also I seem to be a victim of phantom targets. Because I get a good reading and dig to find nothing. I'm looking for any advise from F2 owners that may have dealt with these issues. Thanks.:frustrated:

thanks for the post.. I was thinking of buying one.. going to follow this thread while making my decision

Have you checked to make sure there's no slack in your cord? Also, might try holding down your power button for a few seconds when you first turn it on. This sometimes helps.

I just got mine today,so far so good,watch my thread as well with updates.Don't get frustrated ! Don't forget to read about "coil drift",as the manual states."If you keep depressing pin point,drift will occur causing the detector to gain or lose sensitivity". I figured that out when I first tried mine,then realized it was operator error and not the unit.:grin:

Have you checked to make sure there's no slack in your cord? Also, might try holding down your power button for a few seconds when you first turn it on. This sometimes helps.

I actually thought it might be too tight. So I loosened it. I'll adjust it and try the botton trick. Thx.

I just got mine today,so far so good,watch my thread as well with updates.Don't get frustrated ! Don't forget to read about "coil drift",as the manual states."If you keep depressing pin point,drift will occur causing the detector to gain or lose sensitivity". I figured that out when I first tried mine,then realized it was operator error and not the unit.:grin:

Thx. I'll check that too.

ok i want to hear about this, so you had everything dics'd out? were the signals repeatable on the empty holes? and the pinpoint indicated a target? I know sometimes there are several targets close together that will sound like a higher signal but with everything disced out you should get a solid pinpoint.Sometimes the target is slightly ahead of the pin point for me, I think it's because of the multi target area. Again after you dig do you resweep and pinpoint the hole?

ok i want to hear about this, so you had everything dics'd out? were the signals repeatable on the empty holes? and the pinpoint indicated a target? I know sometimes there are several targets close together that will sound like a higher signal but with everything disced out you should get a solid pinpoint.Sometimes the target is slightly ahead of the pin point for me, I think it's because of the multi target area. Again after you dig do you resweep and pinpoint the hole?

I have all but the dime/qtr disc'd. And yes I recheck the hole with the MD & PP. I also check the dirt/plug for the target. It's like the target just disappears.

Fisher tech told that if you cancel out ANYTHING above iron, the small center of the coil will not work, making pin pointer much more difficult.

Thats what he said.

And read my thread about the new F2s.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=108653

Good luck.

That stinks. I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong MD. I bought this thing because of the discriminating functions, and it seems like I'm better off not even using it. If that's the case, I could have bought a 1970s MD and spent my time digging up trash all day.

That stinks. I'm starting to wonder if I bought the wrong MD. I bought this thing because of the discriminating functions, and it seems like I'm better off not even using it. If that's the case, I could have bought a 1970s MD and spent my time digging up trash all day.

I'll call Fisher tomorrow..and repost. I SWEAR thsat what he said.
The discrimination DOES work...but I was told pin pointing would be much less...

Ill verify this tomorrow.

For every one complaint about the F2 there are hundreds of praises. It is always good to do some research but I would not rule out the F2 based on a few issues on the forum. You have to remember that the people who have an F2 that is working fine (like me) have no reason to start a thread saying "my F2 is working fine".

I have a question about the "drifting" mentioned above. I always hold the pin point button down the entire time I pinpoint a target. Is this the correct way to do it or not?

For every one complaint about the F2 there are hundreds of praises. It is always good to do some research but I would not rule out the F2 based on a few issues on the forum. You have to remember that the people who have an F2 that is working fine (like me) have no reason to start a thread saying "my F2 is working fine".

I have a question about the "drifting" mentioned above. I always hold the pin point button down the entire time I pinpoint a target. Is this the correct way to do it or not?

I'm starting to think my thread about my F2 wasn't such a good idea.
My intent was to describe the issue I had with mine, which turned out to be a faulty F2..I also stated that every manufacturer will put out a bad unit. I never meant it to be a thread to make folks think about buying a different model...but a thread were some F2 owners could go who were experiencing the SAME issues. Thats all. I was trying to help. :no:

Anyway....I'd like to hear more about your question too....

I read that if you hold the pin pointer button down to long..it'll lose its "tune" and releasing and pressing it again, "re-tunes" it Is this right?
I have been pin pointing in two directions...just to be sure...for accuracy and because Im new and learning.

And another guy asked why sometimes you dig and then there's nothing there...I've had this happen too.

Another forum member here took me out and explained that a possible reason is sometimes theres "Ghosts" or "Phantom" targets. There IS a target in there..but when you go to dig it, the target can disintegrate on your before you find it. Leaving you with what appears to be a big empty hole....lol.

any feedback, good or bad, can be helpful to others. thanks for the thread.

I'm going to keep at it and see if I'm the cause of my disappointment with this MD. I probably need to find a local MDer that can critique my technique.

I'm going to keep at it and see if I'm the cause of my disappointment with this MD. I probably need to find a local MDer that can critique my technique.

Good decision. I had a forum member join me. Heres what he posted.

"It was very odd to watch....on the swing from center to the right...if he swung hardly any to the right...it would "go nuts"!

But from center to the left...nothing. Try detecting like that swing all the way left as normal but have to stop when you get back to your center.

I thought all the same issues...coil plug loose...or too tight...or something wobbling...it was odd.

We did notice that the placement of the coil cord plug-in is very unfriendly to tighten or untighten. My little plump fingers couldn't tighten or loosen it. I doubt if a small wrench could either. Just a thought. "

My replacement F2 came today...all is well. :)

You'll find it's much easier to bounce the target back and forth in the center ring, to pinpoint your target.

I've never really used the pinpoint feature and could really do without it being on my F2.

The manual tells you that if you trigger the pinpoint function with the target in the ring, it sharpens the area detected by the pinpoint function.
I haven't found any difference in pinpointing regardless of what I disc out. If I only have a little time I'll cherry pick silver. The pinpoint works just fine.
You can have mineralized soil that will trigger the detector and show a target there. I recently had mineralized soil and a hot rock that would trigger my handheld, but there was no target there. You might also search halo effect. Since there is no adjustment for soil mineralization, the only choice to stop erratic behavior is reduced sensitivity.

Back
Top Bottom