Check, recheck, and check again!

napp

We all know that you shouldn't cover a hole after removing a find until you recheck to see if there is anything else hiding in the hole. However, sometimes we tend to forget that basic rule. I had an experience yesterday which served to remind me of the wisdom of following the rule.

After a good solid hit with the Compadre, I found a brass fitting for a 1/8" fuel line at about 2"deep. After removing it, I routinely probed the hole with my Pro Pointer; and got a second signal. At 4" a brass cartridge case for a rifle was uncovered in the same hole. Another check and the Pro Pointer sang for the third time. A little more digging revealed a nice Rosie dime at about 6 inches.

Like Yogi said, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

Great lesson and thanks for posting that reminder. I have often found items in previously dug holes, left because they did not recheck (or dig deep enough, or they did not have a pinpointer - could be any of these reasons).
RickO

recheck

I call it one of the golden rules of metal detecting, recheck all plugs and holes, although I'm still guilty of not doing it all the time until after I put the plug back in. Then I call myself an idiot.

Yeah, learned that last year, makes good sense, since you've already got the hole dug. I sweep it with the detector before filling it in. Unless it's a real solid hit, who know's what all you'll find down there.

Also pays off to check around the target you pinpointed, make sure it's not huge. Found 3 x 8 ft steel fence posts buried in my yard, bet up and basically useless...

I had an experience yesterday where I hit a quarter signal and there it was, a quarter. Checked the hole with the coil, another quarter signal, and it was. OK, that's surely it, but the coil sang again "quarter" and it was. I just used the Pro Pointer to get the last quarter, making 4 in one hole. I have also hug coins within a few inches of other people's dug spots, so there is a lot of importance to check'em all, and check'em again until they are dry. martin

Years ago on the beach I dug a mercury dime, a buffalo nickel and a big men's 14K ring in the same hole. Each came out one at a time, first scoop dime second nickel and then the surprise third scoop ring. I always recheck now. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom