For the Minelab CTX screen watchers

Took a short hunt today in the rain.

I have been back tracking as of late,,,,going to sites I ve've pounded previously using Deus,,Racer mainly.
Have also run CTX with stock coil on these sites.

So my back tracking work is using CTX with small coil,,,concentrating on the worst areas first at sites.
These sites do contain iron,,many nails and some modern trash.

I tend to run my CTX with a nickel window,,,,opened up 11-14 conductive with high tone like silver assigned.

Well today,,I get this high tone,,,,I always seen 12-09 in the window,,,never a nickel TID.

Ferrous coin process in use btw.

So I dug,,,about 4" a nickel(non war) pops out.
No other targets even ferrous noted in around nickel.
So the tone was right as far as my target and setup,,,but ID numbers were wrong.

Gotta love the CTX.

What were the numbers when pinpointing. I tend to trust the pinpoint numbers and depth more then the swing numbers and depth.

Don't remember,,,may not of even looked either.

I hunt some trashy areas and I go by tones first then numbers when swinging to dictate when I need to investigate further. That's when I start using pinpoint and it's numbers. I will bounce back and forth between pinpont and swinging to better paint a mental picture of what's down there. Real handy to use both especially when there are other objects in the hole with a good target. I also found when I'm looking for deep stuff swinging will say 6 or 7" on a weak target and when I pinpoint it will be more accurate and show 4 or 5".

I hunt some trashy areas and I go by tones first then numbers when swinging to dictate when I need to investigate further. That's when I start using pinpoint and it's numbers. I will bounce back and forth between pinpont and swinging to better paint a mental picture of what's down there. Real handy to use both especially when there are other objects in the hole with a good target. I also found when I'm looking for deep stuff swinging will say 6 or 7" on a weak target and when I pinpoint it will be more accurate and show 4 or 5".

I've seen that also.

Sometimes,,when I'm not finding much,,,I don't get to involved with studying a target using all options.
Besides,,,using them,,,detector might lie to me and make me change my mind,,hence not dig.

I've seen that also.

Sometimes,,when I'm not finding much,,,I don't get to involved with studying a target using all options.
Besides,,,using them,,,detector might lie to me and make me change my mind,,hence not dig.

It's a fine line when to dig and not to dig! Lol. I tend to find with me personally the more I analyze a target the more I can "make" it look dig able. Then it's time to dig up that 9" squarenail.:lol:

It's a fine line when to dig and not to dig! Lol. I tend to find with me personally the more I analyze a target the more I can "make" it look dig able. Then it's time to dig up that 9" squarenail.:lol:

Yeah,,,you should watch my brother when he's out with his White's V3i.

He stands over a target for an eternity.

The time he has stood there,,,he could have already dug and moved on.
He doesn't understand,,when in doubt,,dig it out.
And talks about me when I dig a piece of junk.

But in the end,,,had you rather have few worthy finds and no junk,,,or more worthy finds and some junk??

Time management is IMO a big part of success when it comes to metal detecting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom