Using F75 for gold? Foil targets in trash areas.

TrashMasterCCS

Elite Member
Hey guys. I've been settling into using my F75 and was wondering if you have any tips for finding gold? Specifically, in trashy areas with foil targets? Just making sure I'm not missing something other than digging all foil targets.

Digger27 can help you out with Fisher detectors. Try the search feature top right and post his name in there with "F75" and you'll see tons of good info.

Gold falls in the foil range and higher, and sometimes even a little lower. Gotta dig the junk to find the good stuff unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah...Heres a tip: Location...you can run soft comfortable settings and just concentrate on finding gold..which means lots of foil/tabs/nickels/zincs...

Its a lot about hunting certain locations, pulling a whole LOT of targets, (developing a speedy retrieval method here is key) and not so much about the rig you are running...Once you understand what its saying of course...Hunting Dirt gold is about the toughest thing for a guy to do in this Sport! But its out there, and since its such a tough target, its out there Big!

A few years back, D27 committed to finding Dirt Gold, with the Sister rig to the F75, (F70) ...he got 12 gold that season!...So it can be done with what you have if you study some of his posts like MrN suggested...Good Luck and HH!
Mud.

Yeah...Heres a tip: Location...you can run soft comfortable settings and just concentrate on finding gold..which means lots of foil/tabs/nickels/zincs...

Its a lot about hunting certain locations, pulling a whole LOT of targets, (developing a speedy retrieval method here is key) and not so much about the rig you are running...Once you understand what its saying of course...Hunting Dirt gold is about the toughest thing for a guy to do in this Sport! But its out there, and since its such a tough target, its out there Big!

A few years back, D27 committed to finding Dirt Gold, with the Sister rig to the F75, (F70) ...he got 12 gold that season!...So it can be done with what you have if you study some of his posts like MrN suggested...Good Luck and HH!
Mud.

Sounds good guys! I'll dig through Diggers posts and find his gold info. I need a Double Eagle!

Sounds good guys! I'll dig through Diggers posts and find his gold info. I need a Double Eagle!

Oh! A gold coin you say? Well, thats a bit different than hunting generic inland dirt gold jewelry...You can try to pattern others success, or just hit it and dig it all hoping Luck will prevail, we see that sometimes by complete noobs pulling a nice gold coin........

But, for most gold coins, location seems to be the primary reasoning, letting the trash tell you if you are in the proper paydirt...hunt old dirt where native gold coins may be lurking etc......do a lot of research, or hunt the water...we see most gold coins found by the beach and water guys, usually in a necklace sconce...

If you have the means, go and buy one from your LCS, sweep it with your rig and commit that specific tone to memory...I am fairly confident theres a dozen gold coins lost within 5 miles of my house...some may be buried under the roadway or sidewalks, some are lost in 30' of water...never the less, they are out there....the big trouble is, if a gold coin is sitting underneath a nail, pocketknife, or V nickle, you are right back to digging it all!..
Mud

Oh! A gold coin you say? Well, thats a bit different than hunting generic inland dirt gold jewelry...You can try to pattern others success, or just hit it and dig it all hoping Luck will prevail, we see that sometimes by complete noobs pulling a nice gold coin........

But, for most gold coins, location seems to be the primary reasoning, letting the trash tell you if you are in the proper paydirt...hunt old dirt where native gold coins may be lurking etc......do a lot of research, or hunt the water...we see most gold coins found by the beach and water guys, usually in a necklace sconce...

If you have the means, go and buy one from your LCS, sweep it with your rig and commit that specific tone to memory...I am fairly confident theres a dozen gold coins lost within 5 miles of my house...some may be buried under the roadway or sidewalks, some are lost in 30' of water...never the less, they are out there....the big trouble is, if a gold coin is sitting underneath a nail, pocketknife, or V nickle, you are right back to digging it all!..
Mud

Thanks for the input Mudpuppy. Digger sent me a ton of links that were a huge help. I've been using my wife's ring and any other gold I can get my hands on for testing. I live in the mountains so parks are few and far between. I figure I'll start taking field trips to the city for that elusive gold. Maybe it's just in my creeks...?

The f-75 has a great, but strange discrimination circuit, as 85% of the jewelry falls in the foil zone on the f-75, compared to other general purpose detectors.

The f-75 has a great, but strange discrimination circuit, as 85% of the jewelry falls in the foil zone on the f-75, compared to other general purpose detectors.

Maybe in your experience if that is mostly all you have come across, in the real world this isn't close to true.
I do know the disc circuit is slightly different than on my F70 but I have friends with F75's and have seen a bunch of posts from others and this doesn't seem to be the case.
Silver of course will come in higher, if you are referring to gold I have tested plenty using 4 different detectors and even though many come in at foil on all of them, as they should, many come in higher and exactly where they are supposed to also...way more than 15%.
Physics is physics and conductivity rules, a higher nickel, tab or zinc area ring will not come in at foil...it will come in where it should on any correctly working unit of any kind.

Last edited:
My wedding band which hits in the nickel zone on the whites /Garretts hits at 23 on the f-75 there's a utube video out there where this guy air test 5 high end gold rings and 4 hit in the 20"s foil zone. I don't have a whole bunch of time on the f75 but digging all the foil zone is a must if your looking for jewelry after seeing that video.

Heres something that might help you...F70 TIDS on some gold...its strange when it comes to the big money finds...that heavy 18k white gold for instance, is worth more than all the rest of the rings...that monstrous 74.5 gr 24k chain sounds like nothing but scrap! Easily passed over and dismissed as such by just about all of us...

I go by the proportional audio/target profile signature and listen for the correct but 'weaker' signals in the right tones...(TIDS dont help here)...A little tiny 2gr 10k ring (foil) will not hold a tone for any more than 4" with the light settings I run...a scrap of foil of the same TID will hang on for a pretty good lift...

I am still practicing to try to come up with a foolproof pattern, but its nearly impossible, so a guy has to resort to the location of the signal, and a very speedy retrieval method to work the numbers...work enough numbers, pull enough targets, in the right locations, eventually, ONE of them will be gold!
Mud

Attachments

• study.jpg
    study.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 273
My only gold find was just the other day and I found a 3.3g 10k ring with my F70 and it rang up a solid 39 from any direction. So that was a big clue for me. Any solid signals that come with consistent #'s in the 24-60 range I dig. But when they're deeper the numbers will still fluctuate quite a bit. My ring was only about 1.5" deep.

My only gold find was just the other day and I found a 3.3g 10k ring with my F70 and it rang up a solid 39 from any direction. So that was a big clue for me. Any solid signals that come with consistent #'s in the 24-60 range I dig. But when they're deeper the numbers will still fluctuate quite a bit. My ring was only about 1.5" deep.

Congratulations! Thats a sweet find there Toad! Thats the thing...even the diameter of a ring drives the TIDS up or down....I am not convinced about solid TIDS being a preemptor to pop a target though, (chains)...I am still learning and experimenting about that with the F70...I sure have popped a lot of junk along the way learning...
Mud

My wedding band which hits in the nickel zone on the whites /Garretts hits at 23 on the f-75 there's a utube video out there where this guy air test 5 high end gold rings and 4 hit in the 20"s foil zone. I don't have a whole bunch of time on the f75 but digging all the foil zone is a must if your looking for jewelry after seeing that video.

Thanks Rob!

Heres something that might help you...F70 TIDS on some gold...its strange when it comes to the big money finds...that heavy 18k white gold for instance, is worth more than all the rest of the rings...that monstrous 74.5 gr 24k chain sounds like nothing but scrap! Easily passed over and dismissed as such by just about all of us...

I go by the proportional audio/target profile signature and listen for the correct but 'weaker' signals in the right tones...(TIDS dont help here)...A little tiny 2gr 10k ring (foil) will not hold a tone for any more than 4" with the light settings I run...a scrap of foil of the same TID will hang on for a pretty good lift...

I am still practicing to try to come up with a foolproof pattern, but its nearly impossible, so a guy has to resort to the location of the signal, and a very speedy retrieval method to work the numbers...work enough numbers, pull enough targets, in the right locations, eventually, ONE of them will be gold!
Mud

Thanks Mud! I just got away from hunting homesteads and started hitting parks. Probably the best thing I could have done. Being a beginner and only hunting iron infested sites was a bit counter productive for me. Parks are giving me a great feel for my 75. I'm hoping it will help translate into some of my older sites.

Thanks NC. I'm seeing a common theme here. Dig any solid tone.

Back
Top Bottom