Ace 250 - and sounds

rookie

First, I'm still a rookie - but as I received my md some days ago and since I've been hunting a beach  (where I found an IKEA spoon and lots of rubbish) and the forest (where I found a nail)  - I've decided to changed my profile name appearance, and bring up my real name that is Morten. Hi!

Anyway - I do have some questions regarding the Ace 250 and the sounds it makes. I don't really mind that is says "ding" and that it "thinks" it's a coin there on the beach - although it's only some peace of  foil. But what really is a mystery to me is the way it was producing sounds today in the forest. (Please note that the forest I'm referring to is a place where there are hardly any people, and very little - if any - rubbish to find.  For instance I heard a "ding" - checked again - and heard a ding again. Took the md over the place back and forth several times. Sometimes with a ding sound and sometimes without a sound at all. After that I used the pinpoint. A rather strong sound produced. Fond what I felt was the centre and begun digging.  Pinpointed again after having dug a pretty big hole. No sound whatsoever. Checked the soil I had dug up - no sound there neither. Suddenly there was no sound at all.

After that I got to a place where I got a pretty strong signal, producing sounds more frequently. After having dug a pretty big and wide hole all I could see a very big stone (that might contain some iron - as it had some read brownish colour...(?) Could that stone have been the reason to the ding sound?
What do you say - is a "ding"  - only now and then - on the same spot saying that "Yes, there's metal down there"? Is there always metal below the md when it produces a single "ding"? Or can other things/reasons (that are not made of metal) produce signals now and then? Could for instance moist grass produce false signals?

After having checked several places where signals were produced - without finding anything - I sort of started to mistrust the detector slightly - as I didn't find metal - and sometimes not even a stone.
Have any of you 250 users any advice to give me?

I've decided not to show you the spoon I found  :grin:. Think I'll wait with pictures till I find something slightly more interesting

It's NOT that I'm giving up hunting - I just would appreciate a good sound advice after my first day out "in the field".

All the best to all of you from a rainy and rather cold Norway.

:-) Morten

Big, Bright Beautiful Day!!

I have a 250 as well. It does take practice in learning what your machine is telling you. When you get a suspect "ding", listen and look at the meter. What I have found on mine is that if it's trash, it will bounce from iron to a coin to a pull tab. If it's a coin (I have found a couple at the beach), it will be a consistant "ding" on the coin. Also, do you have a pinpointer? If you are serious about detecting, invest in one. They are great. All I can say is keep trying, you will learn what your machine is telling you. Oh I almost forgot, You said you were digging big holes. Did you narrow your search down in PinPoint mode on the 250? It is pretty accurate. Good luck....

DMan

Diverman is right. You need to only dig targets that "ding" in both directions of the swing and "ding' everytime you go over it. If it only sounds off once in a while and not on every pass over the target. It is trash. Good targets sound good all the time. Not once in a while but wth every swing in every direction. This goes for your id meter. If it is a good target that black cursor will stick in one spot. it may flicker a bit. Bad targets the cursor will jump around the meter.

hey i dont have the 250 but i have run into similar situations. However the more i have gone out the less i have gotten ghost signals or not found the metal making it go off.

Keep it up

Back
Top Bottom