A " Perfect Storm " metal detector

leakinbattries

Need a detector that'll go deep , has no idea what it's target is, and gives you a zip code to pinpoint your digging area? If so, I know where you can find it!

I'm a new forum member, but I've been reading the posts for quite a while and know there are some pretty smart folks out there when it comes to metal detectors. I'd appreciate any advice you might have concerning the operation of the Garrett Ace 150. I'm an old hand at the hobby and can even remember the days when it was still possible to find a ball field where no MD'er had ever set foot, and you stopped at every step to dig silver...man !...did we ever get spoiled !....ever since those days I've used a White's Coinmaster, a terrific machine, though a little shallow on the depth side...my MD'ing buddy had a detector called " the Pro ", printed right on the face of the detector; and it was...on those few occasions when we hunted a REALLY old site, I'd collect my silver Washingtons and Mercs, and he'd cover the same ground and pick up the Barbers and V nickels...wish I could find one of those detectors on eBay....anyway, the 'ol knees don't bend as easily as they used to, and I wanted to get an inexpensive machine with an I.D. display to avoid a lot of unneccessary digging.

I read a review of the Ace 150 in Lost Treasure magazine and it sounded like what I was looking for....I've got about 15 hours on the detector and I've found it to have excellent depth capability...searching an already searched site I came up with 8 wheaties that the Coinmaster didn't know were there ; some at 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 in. down...but there's a delay in the signal that I can't get the hang of....the signal comes 3 or 4 in. after you pass the target.

I saw where one forum member had said he had to visually estimate the mid - point of 2 bracketing beeps to get an idea of target location, but I've noticed that on deep targets there is usually only one beep, and even that is intermittent...granted that I've it in locations that are coin poor and junk rich thus far, but items identified unequivically as coins have turned out to actually be coins about 1 time in every 4...the detector is fooled by nails of any size, can lids , twist - off tops, crushed beer cans , iron u- joints, the metal ring from a og collar, and any rectangular piece of tin...is this typical for most I.D. units ?....any suggestions on how I might get better results with this piece of equipment....I've probably already got my money's worth , as it's had me almost doubled over with laughter on numerous occasions....Thanks

Maybe a pinpointer would help...they're not cheap, bu you might be able to find one second hand at a good price.. Roadrunner_426

Test Garden

I am new also. But i have ben told that a test garden and lots of practice is the way to go.

I was also told that I need to listen to the sounds and pick out the good ones andleave the bad ones.

I think that brings me back to the Teat Garden. :!:

Thanks Epi . the first time out with the 150 I found that everytime I recovered a target, the starting point of my dig ( the point at which I got the signal ) was at least 3 or 4 inches wrong from where the coin actually turned out to be . That night I went to the " Metal Detector Reviews " on this site to see if there was a review for the Ace 150...there were'nt any , but there were some for the 250 ( basically the same detector I think , without the pinpointer )...in one of the reviews a guy mentioned that there was a delay between the time the coil passed over the target and the time the audio signal sounded...he went on to say he had to try to bracket the target between 2 of these signals and then split the difference to find the actual starting point to dig...what he said echoed my own experience with this detector...problem is , sometimes there's only one spot that gives a signal, especially on deeper targets , and I'm left to wonder where the @$^*$# to dig...I've got about 25 hours on the detector at this point , and I'v.e yet to find the first coin that was actually under the spot where the signal sounds . Amazingly enough , the unit I have isn't fooled by aluminum foil ( except to classify it as nickel..doesn't register as " coin " ) or pop tops...just everything else... Leakinbattries

Hi LB! Welcome aboard! I have an ACE250, and have found that the hotspot on the concentric coil is not dead center, as it would be on a round coil. It seems to be above the center, just under the inside of the inner loop, as illustrated in the picture below. This took me quite a while to figure out, even with the ACE250s pinpoint feature, which always reads maximum when the target is directly below this hotspot. Maybe this explains why your targets are off a few inches.

Hope this helps a little! Good luck, and HH!

Attachments

• ACE hotspot.jpg
    ACE hotspot.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 228
Hi Leakinbatts, Welcome!

I use the ACE250 but I can't help but thinking that when you do locate a target SWING VERY SLOW over it to get a more accurate digging location. It sounds like your machine needs the time to get a reading. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom