F2 not so impressive today.

My F2 is on it's way to Fisher for service. Hopefully they will replace it, and I can get back to MDing soon. If they don't satisfy my service expectations, I plan to switch brands.

Similar F2 problem here

I also get fathom signals. Also, when pinpointing I can hold it to any spot of ground in my backyard and the alarm will go off. Think I need to call fisher?

Looks like I'm in the market for a different brand MD. My F2 came back from Fisher with the same problem. I'm calling them on Monday and demanding something be done. I'm not wasting time and money sending it back again. This is totally unsat. Poor service from Fisher. I'm not at all happy with this company.

Looks like I'm in the market for a different brand MD. My F2 came back from Fisher with the same problem. I'm calling them on Monday and demanding something be done. I'm not wasting time and money sending it back again. This is totally unsat. Poor service from Fisher. I'm not at all happy with this company.
Dude ! Bummer ! What did they replace ? When my F2 went t*ts up, they replaced the touch pad and battery posts. The return invoice was concise,and they verified that it was working properly.Since then it is working perfect. I can understand your frustration however. Trying to get an RA # from them took three days.Until I voiced my frustration. I guess they listened. Call them up again, and demand satisfaction. "The squeaky wheel, always gets the oil" my friend. I've voiced my feelings about their customer service,as well as others. Some guy on here even said he spoke to the "Big Wig",when he read my posts.(Apparently he knows him personally or some thing)...However,I never heard anything from it.Customer service must be # 1 TOP PRIORITY for these companies.If you do have to return it,tell them,no DEMAND, that they pay for shipping! I've been following your post on this for some time now. Let me know how things turn out please ?

Phantom targets are almost always operator error. Basically not knowing when your unit is saying, "Hey I'm stupid, I'm making a beep when I shouldn't be". The way to get around this is look for the beeps that hit one way and are hard to repeat. Those are your 'phantom signals' and should not be dug. Usually that's simply mineralization or tiny error or a little rusty piece of iron messing with you. Eventually you'll never dig another 'phantom signal' again. I haven't dug one in two years since I started beeping. It's all about experience. When my detector tells me something is there - I know it's telling me the truth 100% of the time. All the little clicks, pops and false beeps need to be tuned out. You'll figure it out.

You're making newby mistake #1. Too much discrimination. Let the thing sing - tune out iron and let everything else be heard. Then when it pings hard on dime or quarter you'll KNOW for certain it's not a bunch of garbage. Get used to the noise.

Phantom targets are almost always operator error. Basically not knowing when your unit is saying, "Hey I'm stupid, I'm making a beep when I shouldn't be". The way to get around this is look for the beeps that hit one way and are hard to repeat. Those are your 'phantom signals' and should not be dug. Usually that's simply mineralization or tiny error or a little rusty piece of iron messing with you. Eventually you'll never dig another 'phantom signal' again. I haven't dug one in two years since I started beeping. It's all about experience. When my detector tells me something is there - I know it's telling me the truth 100% of the time. All the little clicks, pops and false beeps need to be tuned out. You'll figure it out.

You're making newby mistake #1. Too much discrimination. Let the thing sing - tune out iron and let everything else be heard. Then when it pings hard on dime or quarter you'll KNOW for certain it's not a bunch of garbage. Get used to the noise.
I think "Retired Soldier" is beyond that diagnosis by reading his earlier posts "Bones". He has tried lowering his sensitivity and discrimination modes. I'm not too sure it's operator error by what he is saying. I'm no expert by any means.However,I'm wondering if they checked out the coil as well ? When I sent my F2 out,they told me to send the coil I use (Mine came with 3). Did you send your coil as well "Soldier" ? What did the return invoice say as far as what was checked and or repaired ? Reference page 7 in your manual. I'm sure you have numerous times. To me it sounds like a bad coil.But again I regress,and guessing, since I am no expert on the inner workings of this machine.

These new Fisher detectors have extreme reviews. People seem to love or detest them. There's really not many in the "middle of the road" with this line of detectors.

I purchased the F2 when it first came out and had the exact same problems you mentioned only no matter what we tried we couldn't overcome them. I finally traded it for another brand detector.

Then when the F-70 and 75 came out I bought them. Both where even worse than the F-2 so I traded them to a dealer for another brand (lost a ton of money).

The F-75 could go super deep in a controlled test garden but was extremely unstable when set to good depth out in the real world. Sometimes I dug 10 holes with nothing in them. I found that tuning down the sensitivity (and so on) really did no good.

I'm by no means calling anyone a liar but all I can say is I personally found all the F series detectors to be extremely disappointing. Except for a PI unit I bought in England years ago, the F machines were the worst performing machines I've owned in 44 years of detecting.

But on the other hand, I'm glad some love them. But I must admit I have absolutely no idea why.

Good luck.

I'm just going to stick with my 1266x I've never had a problem with it other than the toggle switch and I replaced it myself

These new Fisher detectors have extreme reviews. People seem to love or detest them. There's really not many in the "middle of the road" with this line of detectors.

I purchased the F2 when it first came out and had the exact same problems you mentioned only no matter what we tried we couldn't overcome them. I finally traded it for another brand detector.

Then when the F-70 and 75 came out I bought them. Both where even worse than the F-2 so I traded them to a dealer for another brand (lost a ton of money).

The F-75 could go super deep in a controlled test garden but was extremely unstable when set to good depth out in the real world. Sometimes I dug 10 holes with nothing in them. I found that tuning down the sensitivity (and so on) really did no good.

I'm by no means calling anyone a liar but all I can say is I personally found all the F series detectors to be extremely disappointing. Except for a PI unit I bought in England years ago, the F machines were the worst performing machines I've owned in 44 years of detecting.

But on the other hand, I'm glad some love them. But I must admit I have absolutely no idea why.

Good luck.

"Sigh".

I love mine...up to almost 80 bucks in clad in just a couple months....quite a few silvers too....hmmm...wonder why some units are great and some not????

I love mine...up to almost 80 bucks in clad in just a couple months....quite a few silvers too....hmmm...wonder why some units are great and some not????
I am "one" with my F2 and 5....Love 'em both.Will I upgrade down the road ? Probably.With another Fisher ? Yup ! But I won't count out other brands. I'm kind of eying an entry level Tesoro "Compadre". But I just dropped some coin, and finally broke down and purchased a Garrett Pro Pointer.:D

I called Fisher but they didn't have them any more. I found several "On-Off-On" Switches but none had the long handle.
I bought some off of Ebay. It wasn't the same as the original.. It had double the contacts and the switch had to be rotated 90° to have the switch handle move in the correct direction. The switch mount in a "U" channel. The channel had to be removed and notched to mount the switch. I have another switch left. If yours is bad and you can change out the switch... pm me your addy and I'll send you one..

or you can get it here http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-MINI...702?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8a98e56

Try a different field or park. Buried electric lines or even overhead lines will interfere but if you just slow down and listen for the tone you want it is still there.

I would just stick to discriminating iron and turn the sensitivity up as high as it can go with out chattering while the MD is sitting still.

I have 2 f2's and there will be areas that are a little problematic as I stated high tension lines are a problem for the f2 or any detector really.

The f2 is an outstanding machine. I have found so much in a really short time with this MD. I found around 180 bucks in clad 2 gold rings and 70+ grams of silver since march this year.Just about every step I take my f2 finds something.

I gotta come follow you around sarge. I love my f2 so far definitely not on pace to come anywhere close to your finds lol.

My F2 is on it's way to Fisher for service. Hopefully they will replace it, and I can get back to MDing soon. If they don't satisfy my service expectations, I plan to switch brands.

I would mention that when you talk to them. If they're smart they won't want to lose you. Good Luck to you. Maybe they will replace it with a step up, for all your trouble. :grin:

After reading this post twice before buying my F2, and again tonight, I feel that there may be some mis-infomation or at least misunderstanding the the PinPoint mode (PP).

If the instructions on page 14 of the manual are followed exactly, my PP works as described.
If I set the PP backwards, by pushing the PP button with the coil 4-6" above the ground and then move the coil toward the ground, it will buzz continously, until I raise the coil to the 'ground set point' or release the button.
The "Narrow it Down" method is really helpful to get the location down to a 1" bulls eye, and works very well for me.

Some posts above suggest that some users are expecting the discrimination settings to continue to work, as set, in the PinPoint mode.
I dont think this is correct.

From the manual, page 6 para XI, concerning the "PinPoint" mode:
".........
* All metal objects are now detected.
* One monotone sound indicates the presence of any type of metal
......"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From an experiment with my F2, and some objects, I tried this and proved that my discrimination mode works as you would expect, IE .. when different levels of discrimination are selected, those items will not be 'beeped'.
When I activate the PinPoint mode, all objects are buzzed when centered, regardless of any notching or discrimination set in the other mode. IE disc's out except dime/quarter/+, but iron, foil, tab, nickle still buzz in PP mode.

In other words the PinPoint mode is always an 'all metal' mode.

If I am getting this wrong, dont tell me, cuz I like how my F2 is working. :roll:

:boat:

Back
Top Bottom