Garrett GTI 1500 imaging problems

Arkansas hunter

I'll get what I think is a good coin range signal and I will image it and it shows a coin for a sec or so and then it will increase to a large size target and so I never know if its a coin or a can or something and its getting kinda frustrating!!! :?: :mad:

That's because the imaging is more gimmick than useful. You'd be much better off forgetting about it and just learn the different tones/sounds.

But to answer your question if the target locks in large it is either a large metal object, or smaller one that you did not pinpoint correctly. Lifting the coil and making sure you're centered will take care of the latter. On the imaging deeper coins will give sort of a flashing spiral screen. If you try some in airtests at theor limit I assume you should be able to see this.

That's because the imaging is more gimmick than useful. You'd be much better off forgetting about it and just learn the different tones/sounds.

But to answer your question if the target locks in large it is either a large metal object, or smaller one that you did not pinpoint correctly. Lifting the coil and making sure you're centered will take care of the latter. On the imaging deeper coins will give sort of a flashing spiral screen. If you try some in airtests at theor limit I assume you should be able to see this.
flashing spirl screen?

flashing spirl screen?

Yes, I just have no better way to describe it. Did you try a deep coin on an airtest? When the screen is like this on a deep one I think the pinpoint is pretty weak too, like it's struggling. Just play a bit, and i'm going on memories that are over 10 years old... but I did know that detector pretty well.

Maybe not a spiral, say a flashing circle. Anyway, it's quite different and once you see it you'll know what i mean.

Actually let me take one more shot.... Maybe it makes more sense saying the deep ones don't lock on the screen when you imaging them, they just flash. As I said you'll probably know what I mean as soon as you see it.

Yep, I just watched a video to jog my brain and that is what happens, when you try to pinpoint a deep one the imaging tries to lock, but can't, it just keeps flashing. And as i said the pinpoint is often weak so you know it's deep. (or a small target that fooled you)

also if your not getting the sizing to "lock in" its because the target wasn't centered in the coil

yea im starting to think the areas we r hunting are trash rich and coin poor. plus they both have been really rocky...I think the GTI was an older one and im actually starting to wonder if its working right....i'll we swinging and it will beep for coin junk anything then i go over that spot again and can never get it to find it again

yea im starting to think the areas we r hunting are trash rich and coin poor. plus they both have been really rocky...I think the GTI was an older one and im actually starting to wonder if its working right....i'll we swinging and it will beep for coin junk anything then i go over that spot again and can never get it to find it again

Part of your size imaging problem MAY be there are too many targets for you and your machine to accurately pinpoint just one all of the time. What I have found is hunting in Jewelry mode coins as well as other interesting things will sound, sometimes junk but rarely. If I get a constant blip, bing or bell from a few directions I dig a little regardless of what size ond content says. Sometimes after I do and target is still in hole I get a better signal and more accurate reading. Coins that are flat and shallow (4" or under) usually get a solid blip or ping from all directions. I am digging far less trash than when I first started and a lot more interesting items. Not always coins but my detector sems to tell me (through sound, size and content imaging) that there is something interesting down there......dig it. (coins, military buttons, sash buckles, headstamps, casings, watch parts or watches, old lead bullets etc....) Bury some items (including coins) at different depths in an area there is no other metal in the ground and see what your detector says about them. Don't rely ONLY on size imaging. One thing I have found is a target that reads large again and again and again is most likely large but if it is goving a good constant signal I still dig it. Hey, who knows when one of those mason jar lids is still attached to a mason jar full of silver? (wishful thinking)

dogpound: do you pinpoint the item then once your over the top center of it hit the size imaging button?

what i used to do with my GTI 1500 (which is the 2500's baby brother) was shorten my swing over the target and hit the pinpoint a few times to shrink the area, this would give me a more accurate reading. this is very important if there are a couple targets fairly close. don't always rely on the sizing, this is actually a bad habit. what actually increased my finds with that machine was taking off the imaging coil and replacing it with the 10x14 DD, i lost the imaging feature but the DD could seperate targets much better and cover more area

Back
Top Bottom