• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Pinpointer questions and reviews

Big Treble

Forum Supporter
This is frustrating, I have a garret Pro Pointer and a carrot. When they were new they worked fine,but falsing and excessive and uncontrollable beeping drives me crazy. I opted to buy the Carrot after my Pro started going crazy. I did send my pro in and got it repaired. But lacks depth. I can send the Carrot in for repair, i just hate to have this re occurring problem. I also just hate to buy another and have it suck again. Does anyone buid one that doesn't false?

Is this common with all? Are they disposable so to speak?

What pinpointer do you have and have had in the past?
How long have you had it?
What issues do you have with it?

For me ;
Pro pointer, 6 years and it falses.( back up the last 3 years after rebuild and it falses again)
Carrott, 4 years and it falses.

Last edited:
I also just hate to buy another and have it suck again. Does anyone buid one that doesn't false?

Is this common with all? Are they disposable so to speak?

Sorry to hear your having pinpointer problems too. No, any PP product with enough searching turns up problem thread posts or reviews online. In that regard the Garrett PP models have the best reviews by far.

Also it seems any company currently making PP's model their version after the Garrett in electronics/use/even appearance. They also tend to suffer the same problems too as you have experienced.

The alternative Sun Ray probe appears to have abandoned probes altogether now. Any outside website links to models on their site finds a 404 error, and no mention of probes to be found.

What pinpointer do you have and have had in the past?
How long have you had it?
What issues do you have with it? .

Cen-Tech 97245. I used it heavy for two years. The switch had to be replaced and it did not come with a vibrate option so I added it from the FMDF thread. Also in late summer it would beep non-stop when it got warm, but another mod fixed that. I sold it along with my detector when I took a break from the hobby previously.

Bounty Hunter pinpointer. I got it free with a detector, and it did worse than the modified Cen-Tech, so I sold it shortly after.

SUNPOW OT-MD01, a Garrett clone like most anymore but with the best reviews. A week at most and I returned it recently, the PP started acting up on the 2nd hunt in my backyard. Non-stop falsing, falsing on any bump, or refused to detect anything - only removing the battery would sometimes help.

White's Bullseye II (another sponsor too). Waiting for delivery, Saturday USPS says. I already know it is essentially a Cen-Tec that has the mods already done and I am fine with that. Although depending on the switch it will need replaced too.

The Garrett alternative some switch to is the White's TRX. Other PP threads here on FMDF such as "Replacing my pin pointer. Suggestions?" and "Pinpointer help" show other options, but again it tends to be between Garrett PP's or White's TRX.

I guess in the scheme of things a great working PP that lasts for 2 years at $120 typically, works out to $0.16 everyday (or $1.67 per weekend from March-November when many get to detect) isn't bad. However it does appear to be disposable, and besides non-rechargeable batteries, is the one thing that does not last in the hobby.

Sorry to hear your having pinpointer problems too. No, any PP product with enough searching turns up problem thread posts or reviews online. In that regard the Garrett PP models have the best reviews by far.

Also it seems any company currently making PP's model their version after the Garrett in electronics/use/even appearance. They also tend to suffer the same problems too as you have experienced.

The alternative Sun Ray probe appears to have abandoned probes altogether now. Any outside website links to models on their site finds a 404 error, and no mention of probes to be found.

Cen-Tech 97245. I used it heavy for two years. The switch had to be replaced and it did not come with a vibrate option so I added it from the FMDF thread. Also in late summer it would beep non-stop when it got warm, but another mod fixed that. I sold it along with my detector when I took a break from the hobby previously.

Bounty Hunter pinpointer. I got it free with a detector, and it did worse than the modified Cen-Tech, so I sold it shortly after.

SUNPOW OT-MD01, a Garrett clone like most anymore but with the best reviews. A week at most and I returned it recently, the PP started acting up on the 2nd hunt in my backyard. Non-stop falsing, falsing on any bump, or refused to detect anything - only removing the battery would sometimes help.

White's Bullseye II (another sponsor too). Waiting for delivery, Saturday USPS says. I already know it is essentially a Cen-Tec that has the mods already done and I am fine with that. Although depending on the switch it will need replaced too.

The Garrett alternative some switch to is the White's TRX. Other PP threads here on FMDF such as "Replacing my pin pointer. Suggestions?" and "Pinpointer help" show other options, but again it tends to be between Garrett PP's or White's TRX.

I guess in the scheme of things a great working PP that lasts for 2 years at $120 typically, works out to $0.16 everyday (or $1.67 per weekend from March-November when many get to detect) isn't bad. However it does appear to be disposable, and besides non-rechargeable batteries, is the one thing that does not last in the hobby.

Thanks for responding. I do know Garrett has a flat rate repair, so that eases my pain a bit, but just hate to have it serviced every couple years.

Maybe if I know it will only last 2 years I may try something else next time.

Not to be coy, but some of the reviews are from 6 months of use or less. This is generally when a person is in the honeymoon phase with the product. Kind of why I was leaning towards inquiring about the time frame used too.

I appreciate the work for thinks as well!

Also, Im somewhat close to Iowa, traveled there weekly and use to see Ralph (@ sun ray)last I knew he retired and was only doing repair, moved to New Delhi and was operating out of his house. I havent seen him in probably 5-6 years, and well honestly he was well seasoned prior to retiring, so not to sure how long he will still be repairing. Also cant get this badboy for my CTX,

Thanks for responding. I do know Garrett has a flat rate repair, so that eases my pain a bit, but just hate to have it serviced every couple years.

Maybe if I know it will only last 2 years I may try something else next time.

Not to be coy, but some of the reviews are from 6 months of use or less. This is generally when a person is in the honeymoon phase with the product. Kind of why I was leaning towards inquiring about the time frame used too.

I appreciate the work for thinks as well!

Glad to offer what help I can. I am surprised I am the only response as it is a common problem for most if not all of us - perhaps they all have the same experience without a answer.

I completely understand wanting to hear from longtime product users. Sadly rather it is due from a "upgrade" like most do, leaving the hobby, or another reason the only common feedback is complaints or after the first few uses of a product.

Also, Im somewhat close to Iowa, traveled there weekly and use to see Ralph (@ sun ray)last I knew he retired and was only doing repair, moved to New Delhi and was operating out of his house. I havent seen him in probably 5-6 years, and well honestly he was well seasoned prior to retiring, so not to sure how long he will still be repairing. Also cant get this badboy for my CTX,

That explains a lot, and sadly what I thought, thanks for the details. I imagine Ralph is quite a character to meet in person. After my original post I read on and discovered when Sun Ray probes for Minelab were stopped, along with a response from Ralph. I guess it was the start of the inevitable end.

Really is a shame the probe is not available on a CTX of all things too. Just goes to show even those who have the CTX dream machine still dream of upgrades.

I hope you find a solution to your pinpointer dilemma, and better still share it with us. HH

My first pin pointer was the Garrett Pro Pointer. Had a problem with it while still under warranty. I mailed it to Garrett. They got it and had it headed back to me in three days and they paid the UPS charges to get back to me. Since the AT gives better depth about 4 years ago my wife purchased it for me as a birthday present. It has worked perfectly since then. Except for when the battery get low (LOL) Last time I talked to Garrett the lady said $27.50 labor plus any parts would restore a Garrett Pro pointer. Not bad since a new one runs over a hundred bucks. Like any item we purchase some of them will fail from time to time. Young man I was talking to had his carrot leak the first time he dunked it. It was out of warranty. Garret treated him more than fairly as he said they sent him a new one no charge. That is hard to beat.

Mine (Garrett Pro-Pointer AT) is less than 2 months old and falses like crazy or just doesn't work at all. Sometimes I have to turn in on and off a couple times before it will actually work. I wanted to chuck it across the field today.

Been using my Garrett Carrot for over 5 years with zero issues. I am thinking about getting a Whites TRX because my Carrot is starting to show the wear & tear. Thing is I had a TRX and for some reason, the not detecting on the sides, made finding items tough for me. Seems you need to get the tip right at the target to set the TRX off. The Carrot I can swish it around until I get the general location, then use the tip to find it.

Been using my Garrett Carrot for over 5 years with zero issues. I am thinking about getting a Whites TRX because my Carrot is starting to show the wear & tear. Thing is I had a TRX and for some reason, the not detecting on the sides, made finding items tough for me. Seems you need to get the tip right at the target to set the TRX off. The Carrot I can swish it around until I get the general location, then use the tip to find it.

The TRX is tedious in honing in on targets. I have owned my TRX for years, works great, but I never take the TRX "solo" though. My Carrot or F-Pulse is my workhorse, and I carry both the TRX and a 360 degree pin pointer. Side detection is a must for me, but the TRX hits deeper on pre dig. I will choose to carry the 360 degree pointers if I can carry just one.

The only time I have had a problem with the carrot is when the battery gets low or is not making good contact. I put a quarter under the cap so that it would force the battery to make better contact.

I just finished repairing my Pro Pointer for this same problem. Google Garrett Pro Pointer falsing and watch the videos. I ended up glueing a piece of plastic to the bottom part of the circuit board keep the coil wires from contacting the circuit board. If you decide to repair it yourself be careful because you can break the coil wires at the circuit board and will have to solder them back on. Also, getting the circuit board in and out is a PITA.

I have had my carrot for about 5 years now. I’ve had a tip cover on it since day 1. I run rechargeable and rayovac batteries in it without any issues.

Love my f-pulse.

have not struck a target since I bought it wit its sensitivity adjustment. 1" 2" 3+" depending on the need.

Back
Top Bottom