goldrush

pjh008

I'm more of a coin collecter than prospector but I still like visiting this site from time to time. I just got off the "goldrush" tv show site forum and it was hilarious. You got to read the thread on this totally huge nugget this guy "found". It's the one with about 20 responces. He gets busted bigtime.:lol:

I'm more of a coin collecter than prospector but I still like visiting this site from time to time. I just got off the "goldrush" tv show site forum and it was hilarious. You got to read the thread on this totally huge nugget this guy "found". It's the one with about 20 responces. He gets busted bigtime.:lol:

He's a total idiot for "lifting" the photo off of an Alaskan mining website......

Dusty

Gold Rush Alaska: Great reality show and can't wait for next season. Heard that Dakota Fred told the guys for next season that he has his own crew and won't be needing their help at Porcupine Creek. What a selfish jerk. The GR crew will now be moving 300 miles north to the Klondike.

The entire "theme" is to entice viewers to watch and think they maybe able to do the same thing........got news for ya, ain't gonna happen!!! Not with those bozos!!!!

Dusty

Gold Rush Alaska: Great reality show and can't wait for next season. Heard that Dakota Fred told the guys for next season that he has his own crew and won't be needing their help at Porcupine Creek. What a selfish jerk. The GR crew will now be moving 300 miles north to the Klondike.

If I had a claim I wouldn't let those idiots anywhere near it! I hated the show at first, but it has grown on me because I no longer watch it as a serious gold mining show. Instead I see it as a comedy in the sense of "what will these morons screw up this week that anyone with any common sense would have done correctly?".

My wife and I watched it all the time. I kept getting frustrated with all the drama in the show. And how they started with no real gold prospecter with them to help out. O well it`s just a show.

Yeah I wasnt a fan at first but the show has grown on me. It's like a train wreck show, you dont want to watch but you just have to watch. I love how they have made reference in just about every show how they are spending their last dollars and it makes it look like they dirt poor. That last show had them walking through a huge yard of heavy equipment that I heard they own.

TV reality shows are totally scripted and planned. Nothing happens that was not supposed to happen. RickO

Yes you are absolutely correct. I work in TV/Film and as much as some hate to hear it, REALITY shows are either the most scripted or edited shows out there. Not only are they scripted, but they are edited in post-production to really fit the emotion they're trying to draw out.

I agree it has to be, otherwise too much risk for the production company.

It's not the production company. The NETWORK, in this case Discovery Communications, LLC., contracts out production companies and freelancers to do the shows. The networks take the heat. A perfect example of this is the latest Charlie Sheen antics with CBS. CBS takes the heat.

But anyway, having done some shows for Discovery in the past, there are literally hundreds of shows being shot and a very few of those are piloted on TV and become actual shows. This happened to be one of the ones who made it through a season so far.

OH.... and don't forget these "miners" are PAID by the network so don't think they're broke. Oh, did I spoil the drama?

How about a link to that thread. I cannot find it.

OH.... and don't forget these "miners" are PAID by the network so don't think they're broke. Oh, did I spoil the drama?

Heh, I pretty much guessed that was what was happening. Question for you though on that topic. Do you think Discovery paid for everything? By that I mean do you think they gave them the $250,000 that the guys supposedly scrapped up to do this, and when they ran short and needed to borrow another $40k from the guy's sister was that completely made up too (i.e. Discovery just gave them more money)? I'm just curious if the guys have any financial risk in this at all aside from hoping to get picked up for a second season.

Reality shows huh? Everything but reality. A true reality show wouldn't draw any ratings and without the drama would be pretty boring. Just imagine if someone followed you all day and filmed it. It would either be boring to watch or you would have to throw in some antics to make it watchable. :lol:

Prospector First

I've been prospecting, and learning my craft for a few years now. Those guys were snookered 6 ways to Tuesday. They still have no skills or understanding of prospecting, and left a million dollars worth of dirt in those buckets left behind. They did everything wrong, and are lucky to get out of there with their lives.

The did all the preliminary work, and the property owner will make a ton of money doing it right. I hope they show that on TV.

Heh, I pretty much guessed that was what was happening. Question for you though on that topic. Do you think Discovery paid for everything? By that I mean do you think they gave them the $250,000 that the guys supposedly scrapped up to do this, and when they ran short and needed to borrow another $40k from the guy's sister was that completely made up too (i.e. Discovery just gave them more money)? I'm just curious if the guys have any financial risk in this at all aside from hoping to get picked up for a second season.

Generally the way it works is that the money upfront for instance the 250k is probably really out of their pockets or the OWNER of the mine's pocket. I can't see why the miners would pay the owner of the mine/property or use their own money to mine on the person who's got the rights to the gold below to mine it. Basically Discovery finds out about the events taking place by some means whether it was proposed by them or they had people report back with matched ideas. Notice ALASKA stuff has been a big boom lately on the Discovery channels. What a coincidence...

Anyway, the 40k was probably floated by someone, might have been sponsors of the show or whatever. Ever notice the equipment or 'special deliveries' they have on the show? A magnetic sand and gold seperator that was newly invented.... Strange, that episode sounded like a pitch to me. Well, those people pay in some fashion to have their products (product placement) in the show. In return, they get sales, etc. from the people who are the target audience. Think about the show Deadliest Catch. Those are real fishermen who were selected to have cameras watch them 24/7 and they became famous, and I also bet Alaskan crab sales skyrocketed.

The RISK is not initially taken by the networks unless they are fully producing a show they can control (In studio usually). This is what makes it 'reality'. If the show is making the network millions in advertising, a 40k floater to keep the show alive is well worth the investment.

The show I worked on for Discovery wasn't good enough for the main Discovery Channel, but aired on Discovery Green and some others so it would meet it's target audience.

I love to use American Idol as a nit picking point. Do you think record labels are going to let america vote who they put millions of dollars into? NO WAY! Do you think those horrible atrocious singers actually make it through the 3 initial lines of producers to get to the judges?? NO WAY! It's about RATINGS!!

Sorry for the rant... not trying to hijack the thread. One more tidbit before I go... lol Ratings people think are the number of people watching the shows.... WRONG. Ratings come through even if your TV IS OFF and that channel is on. So if you hate a tv show don't just turn off the tv, change the channel completely!! A "share" is the amount of audience actually WATCHING the show. It's a frugal system... LOL

ok no more hijacking this thread lol sorry

Just to add to outwardjourney's input (thank you very much, quite authoritative since you are in the business)... I have two friends who participated in reality shows.. and BOTH told me that every line and event is scripted - there is NO reality whatsoever. One was told (when he objected to something) "either do it our way or no payment.". I do believe TV wrestling may be more real than reality shows... and that is saying something.

Just to add to outwardjourney's input (thank you very much, quite authoritative since you are in the business)... I have two friends who participated in reality shows.. and BOTH told me that every line and event is scripted - there is NO reality whatsoever. One was told (when he objected to something) "either do it our way or no payment.". I do believe TV wrestling may be more real than reality shows... and that is saying something.

Don't even get me started on wrestling. LOL or presidential campaigns for that matter. Both are just about the same on the choreograph scale... lol :lol:

Back
Top Bottom