• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Illinois State Beach Park

TreasureHawk

Just curious if anyone has been out to Illinois Beach State Park recently.

Went detecting today out there and was surprised about how I never see anyone there anymore. Found a few coins, but nothing to write home about. Surprised at how much of the beach has eroded away. Beach is very rocky and tons of iron readings.

You need a permit to metal detect, but I have never been checked by state police. Permit is free.

One can only detect on the beach. Many years ago, I was detecting off the beach and found a 1920’s silver dollar. Did not know you needed a permit then. I was stopped by Illinois State Police and asked to detect only on the beach.

... You need a permit to metal detect, but I have never been checked by state police. .....

How about others who detect there ? Do you know if any of them have ever been "carded" either ?

We have a single city in CA, that dreamed up a "permit" decades ago. A club in that area is totally in charge of disseminating them (and ... I guess forwards the $ annually to the city). The "permit" is something like $15 per year (woohoo).

And ... strangely ... if you ask any of the persons who detect in this area (a club of 100+ people) NO ONE can ever recall ANYONE ever getting "carded". In fact, a buddy of mine was hunting park in this city once, and saw several park workers working on some project, with several city-park trucks there. So he purposefully went out of his way to detect all around their area, to see if he could get "carded". Yet he remained totally ignored. I used to carry my card, but one day thought "why bother ?"

Illinois State Beach is a state park , so they have all this nonsense of restricting the public.
I think it gives the state and federal officials something to do and feel powerful.

And no, I have never seen anyone else being checked. Illinois in general is pretty much screwed as a state. Certainly the most corrupt.

.... And no, I have never seen anyone else being checked. ....

Then "restrictions on the public" and "corruption" are a non-issue. They are no longer "nonsense". When it comes to detecting. I have the philosophy of "if no one cares" (you'll never be carded) , then ..... presto: NO ONE CARES.

I can knock myself silly trying pre-empting to get everyone to love and condone me ahead of time. Or .... I can just go. I usually choose the latter. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom