gone detectin'

mlitty, It sounds promising! I hope you find a find a hatful! Possibly a couple of British colonial coins? Look forward to an update! Good luck!!

keeper finds.

the place is a machine gun nail fest. It's still an active residence with a nice yard, so I had to discriminate or tear out all of the grass.

I found a fire pit, probably from the 1970's based on the melted bottles and cans buried 12" down there with the car tire rim.

These are pics of the keeper bits. I'll post shots of the trash as soon as I get a chance.

The oldest coin I've found was the 1945 wheat penny.

picture.php

This was the best find...
picture.php

I'm not sure what it is, but have asked for help in the identifying finds forum.

I'm beginning to wonder if the sandy soil isn't letting the older stuff sink too far? I'm finding clad 4-6" down, under and in the grass. I'm finding deeper things, but not many coins below 6". There is no "dirt" it's all sand as deep as you can dig.

Thoughts?

Are those square nails your finding? Perhaps it has been detected before, maybe filled added, or the ground leveled out? But sand is an odd type of fill right? If I was there I would try the outer edges of the property for virgin soil or in your case sand.

trash and treasure

I've traced the medallion back to a three medallion watch fob, probably dates from 1905-1915.

Here are photos of the trash from the same dig. I'm a little curious about the buckles, but I'm thinking that they are likely from farm horse tackle. The twisted plate next to them is from some temperature gauge made by a New York company.

This is only a small portion of the rusted metal roofing that I found.
picture.php

picture.php

Most of this glass was found in the grass, on the surface.
picture.php

I'm a little curious about these buckles. I think that they're probably horse tack from when the land was farmed. The crumpled piece next to the buckles has the branding of a New York company and looks like a part of a temperature gauge that goes to 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
picture.php

And this is what the watch fob would have looked like complete.
If you have any information about who made it, what it represents, when it was made, let me know. I'm still looking.
picture.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom