How many tabs does it take to find a ring

catskillcomics

How many pulltabs do most of you pull before you actually find a ring.. I have gotten into a bad habit of just skipping the pulltabs at parks, after diggin so many of it, I find it to be just "not worth it" .. now outside of parks I dig everything..

How many pulltabs do most of you pull before you actually find a ring.. I have gotten into a bad habit of just skipping the pulltabs at parks, after diggin so many of it, I find it to be just "not worth it" .. now outside of parks I dig everything..

The pulltab you skip just might be the ring you seek... ;)

i hear ya man..i hate digging pull tabs and like you i often get discouraged,ill go hunting with the my mind set that i will dig every pull tab signal i get but after the thousandth pull tab ill start skippin them..its a bad habit to start. for instance the one time i actually decided to dig every pull tab signal i found 3 rings 2 good ones and a junk one but i dug enough pull tabs that all my pockets where full of them. wish i could go back in time and give the person who invented the pull tab a detector and bring him back to our time and see how he likes diggin em all day :lol:

i dig everything at the local parks.i have found many many pull tabs only one sterling silver ring to date.no necklaces or bracelets yet either.but i have alot of coinage some silver.

Look at it in the long run. If you have a bunch of spots that you work - clean out the tabs and in successive hunts there will be very few of them. I have done this to a bunch of places and when I go again I dont find many. But at first it was incredible. Look at the overall picture, dig it all. This year so far I have dug 30 solid gold items from these places.
Almost every week on the net I read "It said pull tab but I dug it anyway and it was a gold ring". Steve in so az

How many tabs does it take to find a ring?

Never know. Could be one, hundred, or a thousand. Steve has a very good point. If you have a nice park frequented by people and you clear out the junk, then the gold rings will quicker coming.

Here's one you might want to ponder. Ever get tired of digging zinc pennies? Don't skip over those either. You might be skipping over smaller sterling pieces.

G.

How many pulltabs do most of you pull before you actually find a ring.. QUOTE]

1,462,805 lol

And ditto to what Steve in So Az said -- If you plan on going back to the same places in the future, the pull tabs you dig today will be the same pull tabs that are no longer there next time!

In my limited experience, pull tab signals have actually turned into various pieces of jewelry as well as several nickels. You just never know what that pull tab signal REALLY is until you dig.

Harley-Dog

Last edited:
OY! Well, looks as if I am going to have to bite the bullet and pull tabs, theres no way around it.. and what you said Steve truely makes sense.. this park I love going to is about 5 acres and always people there, I pulled over $100 in clad there in last month & 1/2, so I guess I'll start over and pull everthing.. look like this time around it will be more tabs than clad :) but it must be done! I guess I needed a little motivation to pull those tabs.. we'll see what happens..

Scott

I always think of them as one step closer to a gold, with each tab you dig you get closer to that gold item, If you go hunt and dig 27 pull tabs then say man I am sick of tabs and then stop digging them you have effectivly ruled out your shot for gold, There are ways to improve your chances but you will never eliminate the pull tab curse, I dig what I call some ''warm up junk'' If the first five tabs all read the same I will rule out that TID, I found a nice 18k band two weeks ago, the sound was nearly identical to a pull tab, but the TID was 2 numbers higher than the 30 plus tabs I had previously dug, Just keep digging them or you will always have that ''gee I wonder if I missed a nice ring feeling'' .....Steves advice is very sound , if you have any intention of going back to a spot its best to start clearing it out, without the presence of tabs and foil based junk it makes deeper coins a lot easier to hear, I have a spot that didnt start to produce ANY deep coins until the third trip and after clearing out no less than 125 tabs and newer clad ..........good luck

Catskill,

I can sympathize with you. I've had many days where I finally just gave up digging tabs because my knees ached. It can truly be frustrating on the days when the rings don't come. My wife thinks I'm crazy and always has a chuckle for me when she sees the pocketful of junk that I've spent most of a day digging up.

I recently hit a school field that had more than a fair share of pulltabs. I set a goal to dig them all and that day I got a cheap ring, bracelet and a buffalo nickel. I would have probably missed all of those if I was skipping pulltabs. The jewelry wasn't quality this time - but you never know when it will be.

Hang in there and realize that its all part of the process. As someone mentioned in this thread, sometimes you need to clear the top layer of junk before you can start pulling the old coins and jewlery.

HH

I do a lot of detecting on beaches and there are always pull tabs all over the place. But you have to dig them because the good stuff is there also. I dug a ring last week and in the scoop with the ring was a pull tab. Maybe someone else skipped over it thinking it was just another pull tab.

Back
Top Bottom