anyone live near oswego, ny?

orestes

Hi there everbody. I am new to md'ing and new to this form. I live in oswego ny and i was wondering if there was anyone near by that would like to go md'ing. I usually goto old parks and schools but i want to go out to some old farm houses. Let me know if your interested.

:oldguy: I'm fairly certain someone lives near Oswego, but I don't ... although I would be willing to bet that there is someone in these forums that does, and will respond to your post.:tiphat:

Orestes are you a lifelong resident of Oswego? I went to college in Oswego. Although they redid the area around the Oswego river there are a few grassy areas near the shipping canal and along the river. With Oswego's rich history from the War of 1812 and Fort Ontario there might be some good relics to be had. I had wanted to get back there for the harborfest but my friend, who lived there, recently passed away. Not having my friend there kind of made a trip to Oswego a bummer. Otherwise, I would think of making a trip up there and look you up.

I enclosed a couple of pics of the river area. If you're familiar with the river you might recognize the spots. If you walk the path along the west side of the river it will take you up to the power plant. Go past the power plant and you can get down to the river's edge. there is a little bit of woods that's accessible. Could be a good spot to detect. The locks and canal are on the east side of the river. The grassy areas along the locks might hold some promise. However, people might have already md'ed those areas already.

In any event , good luck to you. If I ever get up your way I'll try and contact you to set up a hunt.

Attachments

• #37.jpg
    #37.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 665
  • #38.jpg
    #38.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 698
  • #20.jpg
    #20.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 672
hey there Joe. I have liked here my whole life. I recognize the pictures that you posted. I will head out and check it out today. If you want to meet up for harborfest im down with that. I dont usually goto harborfest but im deff going to go md'ing early in the morning. Im sure i will find some stuff. Harborfest makes md'ing around here a pain in the a**. You wouldnt believe how many pull tabs it produces. The parks are covered with them.

Orestes, I'm glad I was of some help. I'd love to md in your area unfortunately, I'm not planning a trip up there anytime soon. Let me know if you find anything in the spots I directed you to.

That old trestle foot bridge over the river might also be a good area to try because it ends up on a grassy area. I would also try all of the grassy areas around Coleman's Pub .

As far as md'ing the parks after Harborfest, you can discriminate the pull tabs. I know they're a pain but what can you do. Good luck and good hunting.

Pretty close !

Just North of you in Clayton, on the St. Lawrence river. Quite busy until Columbus Day, but I'm interested in a hunt for sure. Just hoping to get out for a few hours nearby if I'm lucky. :roll:
Welcome to the family ! :D
Marty
P.S. I'm planning on Westcott and Southwicks beach this Fall. I've got my permit. :yes:

I may be

in Mexico NY sometime in September. Going to visit an old friend for a few days. I will keep this in mind....Gil

hello marty and gil. If you end up coming to the area i would be more than happy to go detecting with you. I am having pretty good luck so far in oswego. I have only been seriously detecting for a month now and i have found a 1868 indian head penny and my first silver the other day. Oswego is an old place with lots of history. I cant wait to see what else i find.

I live in Oswego. Haven't really tried my new metal detector yet. As soon as I figure out how to use it I'd love to go out with someone to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom