Serious Question/ Concern???

wvdave107

Elite Member
I've had my eye on this pretty good size curb strip not far from my house. It sets between the sidewalk and a little league baseball field. In the warmer months I typically see several people milling around during games. Looks like it may be pretty promising....

Anyway...I saw a piece on the local news about used hypodermic needles turning up all over in random public places...mall bathrooms, parks, alleyways, etc...I have never encountered any needles in my short time detecting, but there is a genuine concern...unfortunately.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? And if so, what is protocol? Would you call law enforcement? I wouldn't want to physically touch it/ them or try dispose of it/ them in an unsafe way. According to the news piece a 5 year old girl was stuck by a dirty needle in a public restroom at some time. I do not want to be responsible for putting a child or anyone in potential danger.

Unfortunately, according to local news, this is occurring more and more. It's not limited to the stereotypical areas. It's showing up in more heavily traveled, public places. If anyone has encountered this or has any ideas how to confront it, if encountered, please post.

The news is nothing but scare tactics.

If your that concerned then walk up and down the strip before you hunt it and check for anything strange and dispose of it at your local hospital or clinic.

with any plug that you cut,
one should always be wary of what lies beneath.
Nails, glass, razor blades, etc.
use a good protective gloves, any cuts or puncture can ruin a good day of hunting
inspect your hole and plug before "diving in"
there is far more trash in the ground than treasure.
get up to date with a tetanus shot.

Wear quality gear and take your time. I would just dispose of anything thats found properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My detecting has been limited, and I have not come across any needles yet. I have found a homemade bong on my property. I called LE to see if they wanted it, they told me to just throw it in the trash.

My understanding is that now the medical community protocol uses a grabber tool of some kind to pick up used hypos to put them in the sharps containers, that way there is no risk of sticks. They do not try to recap them, as that puts them at risk for a stick. So if you find one, you might want to use some pliers or other tool to pick it up.

I have found a few. I put them in a empty plastic water bottle, wearing gloves and being real careful, recap the bottle and throw it in the trash.

They really aren't that dangerous unless they still have liquid blood. The stuff that can kill you dies pretty quick. Like most pointy things in dirt your biggest risk is tetanus.

If I find them in woods or vacant lots I leave them alone, but in the parks I get rid of them.

Its just another thing is all...Nothing to be overly concerned about...Way down on the list of dangerous outdoor things....Now the Users are a different story, especially the meth freaks...the needle drops/drug paraphernalia tell you a lot about a location and can be added to your list of pertinent KEY 'clues'....

I go out super early to these kinds of places, head on a swivel, in and out invisible and quick..NEVER after 10 am...Usually well outta there by 8am even. Weather dependent....Bad Weather is your friend...

Major producing hunting areas for me actually..The RED Zone ....But, a guy has to be very Situationally Aware, drive a piece of junk, and appear to be a poor yet spry bum, old alcoholic can hunter, possibly LEO even, possibly packing...Its actually exciting and keeps my senses very sharp.. RED Zone pennys should be worth a dollar though...

In a strange way its very stimulating! Adrenaline rush! I imagine its like being an 1800's lone trapper working Blackfoot territory, avoid and evade tactics...I'll probably never get to go on an African Safari, couldnt afford it anyway, but Buddy, within 10 miles of my house I get the next best thing!:laughing:

Besides Timing, I have mastered the art of Urban Camoflage...invisible, or obviously a low value/high risk target...Like I said, first impressions... "poor but spry old bum possible packing heat"...Serves a guy well in all sorts of Life situations...Boardroom, Courtroom, Barroom, Bedroom!:laughing:

Follow the Junk and the Junkies...early am...pretty good idea of whats going on in an area...blend in...My Wife certainly discourages this kind of behavior...says one of these days I'm gonna get killed in there...Out of all the other boring ways to die, not too bad...I actually look forward to it!...better than falling off the roof cleaning out the gutters! And for sure, somebody will be saying.."Dayumm! That old Cracker bum had one Hell of a left hook!":laughing:

Attachments

• july 24-15-1.jpg
    july 24-15-1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Its just another thing is all...Nothing to be overly concerned about...Way down on the list of dangerous outdoor things....Now the Users are a different story, especially the meth freaks...the needle drops/drug paraphernalia tell you a lot about a location and can be added to your list of pertinent KEY 'clues'....

I go out super early to these kinds of places, head on a swivel, in and out invisible and quick..NEVER after 10 am...Usually well outta there by 8am even. Weather dependent....Bad Weather is your friend...

Major producing hunting areas for me actually..The RED Zone ....But, a guy has to be very Situationally Aware, drive a piece of junk, and appear to be a poor yet spry bum, old alcoholic can hunter, possibly LEO even, possibly packing...Its actually exciting and keeps my senses very sharp.. RED Zone pennys should be worth a dollar though...

In a strange way its very stimulating! Adrenaline rush! I imagine its like being an 1800's lone trapper working Blackfoot territory, avoid and evade tactics...I'll probably never get to go on an African Safari, couldnt afford it anyway, but Buddy, within 10 miles of my house I get the next best thing!:laughing:

Besides Timing, I have mastered the art of Urban Camoflage...invisible, or obviously a low value/high risk target...Like I said, first impressions... "poor but spry old bum possible packing heat"...Serves a guy well in all sorts of Life situations...Boardroom, Courtroom, Barroom, Bedroom!:laughing:

Follow the Junk and the Junkies...early am...pretty good idea of whats going on in an area...blend in...My Wife certainly discourages this kind of behavior...says one of these days I'm gonna get killed in there...Out of all the other boring ways to die, not too bad...I actually look forward to it!...better than falling off the roof cleaning out the gutters! And for sure, somebody will be saying.."Dayumm! That old Cracker bum had one Hell of a left hook!":laughing:

Like the way you're think Mud. Guy after my own heart...:laughing:

Actually hit that location for about an hour after work. A few clad pennies and dimes...a lot of trash, too...LOL. Looks like a decent area, but it's still winter...

Found a few needles myself. Darn those careless diabetics! ;)

I carefully pick them up and bend the needle upward. They get tossed in the trash wrapped in a small bag.

in 35 years of hunting I've come across only two that I can remember and I put them in the nearest trash can. I always wear gloves when I hunt so I wasn't fearful of getting poked.

I have found a number of needles. I dispose them in the trash. The park I hunt isn't in the best neighborhood. Recently someone set fire to one of the restrooms. I was detecting the other day and I saw a car pull up next to it. Two young men got out and stepped over the fence that the park had placed around it. This was in the middle of the day. It had signs saying to Keep Out so I thought maybe they were working on it. A little while later they came around to the side where I could see them. I guess they didn't know that I was there because I had walked to the park and didn't have my car there. I saw that they were spraying gang signs on the building. As I started toward them they saw me and left before I could get a good look at them or their tag number. I got to thinking later that it was probably just as well that I didn't confront a couple of gang members.

I have found a number of needles. I dispose them in the trash. The park I hunt isn't in the best neighborhood. Recently someone set fire to one of the restrooms. I was detecting the other day and I saw a car pull up next to it. Two young men got out and stepped over the fence that the park had placed around it. This was in the middle of the day. It had signs saying to Keep Out so I thought maybe they were working on it. A little while later they came around to the side where I could see them. I guess they didn't know that I was there because I had walked to the park and didn't have my car there. I saw that they were spraying gang signs on the building. As I started toward them they saw me and left before I could get a good look at them or their tag number. I got to thinking later that it was probably just as well that I didn't confront a couple of gang members.

At least you have your digger tool for protection. But a confrontation with that type wouldn't do anyone any good.

Hey, it's great to know that those of us here have a much nicer hobby than spraypainting buildings and shooting up dope.

Treat a needle the same way you do a pile of dog poop.

Thats the problem :laughing: people DO treat them like dog poop :yes: that's why they dont pick up after they are done :lol: its an epidermic epidemic, and its not getting any better unfortunately. Ive lost many high school friends to substance abuse, luckily I never took the hard drug route...be careful if you suspect there's sharps in there wear gloves!

Back
Top Bottom