getting back into the swing of things

coldmidget

is been a few yrs since i detected. I been reading on the equinox 600-800 what's pros con of those vs like the at pro , up to the Excalibur I'm looking to buy new water machine don't like my duel field pro (per say) to much junk around my waters lol. y pay $1400 for an excal been watching video on equinox im liking it any advice?

Welcome back to the hobby. I am a fresh water hunter, And have no advice for salt water. But I do enjoy watching a few guys that use the Equinox for salt water. I find them interesting and learn some things from their technique.

The 1st one I enjoy watching is i dig Daytona.https://youtu.be/iiTDeFYuO3A

Crusty clad Is from Corpus Christi
https://youtu.be/iAG1nHwzaL4

AU Ron I believe it's from Southern Cal.
https://youtu.be/5EioRdyVnRo

Beach pirate is Austrian but lives Vietnam.https://youtu.be/w53xy7MVWzE

Best of luck I hope these are helpful.

Last edited:
Beach pirate is Austrian but lives Vietnam.https://youtu.be/w53xy7MVWzE.
Australian. Good list of Youtubers there that Dan provided. For the money the Equinox is hard to beat - better all around machine than the Excal (wet sand, dry sand some water). The Excal is is better for all water and any diving. That's my 2 cents and I have both.

My opinion

Not alot of water machines to choose from, but strickly water , Excalibur, not a fan of the green machine, like the Blue's myself, like the Equinox 800 wet , beach , but i don't submerge mine, ill use the Blue's , anyway if you go with the green machine , get a strait shaft, and knob guard , happy hunting.

I have owned and used the Whites Duel Field, the Equinox 800 and the Excalibur 2. I just sold the 800 six moths after purchase and have continued to use the Excalibur with great success and confidence.

Australian. Good list of Youtubers there that Dan provided. For the money the Equinox is hard to beat - better all around machine than the Excal (wet sand, dry sand some water). The Excal is is better for all water and any diving. That's my 2 cents and I have both.

Thanks for the correction. That's what I get for trying to hide from the boss and make a post.:lol:

Welcome back to the hobby cm. Personally, I am a big fan of the Nox 800 for fresh water hunting but the way I use it in lakes won't work in salt water so I can't help there. I have used the Excalibur in lakes as well but prefer the Nox.
The Nox gives a lot more information about the targets and is better at seeing gold chains and other small jewelry.
It's a little scary hearing about the flooding problems that some people have had with the Nox but I have had my detector submerged on dozens of hunts without any issues. My detector is still under warranty but even if it wasn't it has already paid for itself several times over so it's been a great machine, especially, for the price. GL&HH!

Neck deep in water nearly daily with nox for about six months and no issues yet (knock on wood) lol. I did plug the vent hole for the battery with silicone though.

I've used the Excal 1000 fanatically, then the CTX and now the 800. They all have their place. In the deep I preferred the 1000, in trash ridden parks and the wet sand I like the CTX, I like the 800 for stomach deep water hunting and in the wet. The 800 sucks in the dry sand. To sensitive. That can be a good thing but it loves tiny tiny aluminum.

Id say all things are equal in the water between the two machine.... except the Nox to me is a bit chatty unless you run it with less sensitivity. In the water you will need to run Beach 2.... thats a huge reduction in power, you also have to use less sensitivity AND it has a salt setting further reducing sensitivity. It will get a 3 gram ring chest deep at about 10", but so will the Xcal. But there are some down sides to the Xcal. Best results are in PP mod.... so that switch costs as does an upgrade to a better shaft. Then there is the 1 year warranty compared to the Nox 3. Thus far ive not had an issue with the flooding and mine lived in the water.....but i have broken the ears off two coils. Now the price..... Nox is 1/2 the price and out of the water in the wet and dry sand a better machine with its various modes.

True. to get the Excal to it's full potential you'll have to upgrade to a straight shaft (carbon fiber usually) a remote pinpoint mod (a few hundred bucks) and a better set of headphones (another couple hundred bucks). The Nox comes straight shafted, although a flemsy shaft at best, the wireless is nice and it to will require a better headphone set up. The pinpoint is more like the CTX. I feel you can't hunt in reverse with that one.. The excal is a wonderful reverse PP hunt set up and the only way to hunt while using it. The CTX doesn't have the IN YOUR EAR send off when a target is found while deeper water hunting. I've had the grayghost and Einsenhowers phones for it. They just aren't loud like the excal. The excal SCREAMS! It's of no fault of the head phone maker, i think its just the logic of the machine.

Back
Top Bottom