Garrett AT Pro?

pepperbelly

I had one years ago but sold it because I really didn’t get out much.
I just retired and am thinking about getting out to playgrounds and swimming beaches to see what I can find.
Is the AT Pro good for general detecting or is there something better suited?
I am in north Texas-DFW area, and we have souls from black clay to sand to red shale.
Garrett is based near me if that is a consideration.
I really want to avoid spending a lot on something I may have trouble with and give up on.

You should contact Garrett and see if they know how the AT Pro works on the local soils. They should be knowledgeable about that. If they say its not a problem, then it should be a good choice. You can also contact a Garrett dealer nearby and ask them too. I've never owned one, but I read a lot of great things about them! Good luck and happy hunting!

The At-pro is an excellent machine. Great on dirt and fresh water beaches but not nearly as good on a wet salt water beach.

I’d get a simplex it’s got more features for half the price

+1

I'd recommend the AT Pro over the Simplex only if you really like AA batteries, prefer S-shaft to straight shaft and/or really prefer to buy from American companies.

+1

I'd recommend the AT Pro over the Simplex only if you really like AA batteries, prefer S-shaft to straight shaft and/or really prefer to buy from American companies.

I agree. The At Pro is obviously a great detector, possibly the most popular of the past decade. But with the new machines having so many features at such a good price at least take a look at the Simplex +, Minelab Vanquish and even the Equinox 600 can be had for almost the same money as an AT Pro.

If you want to stick with Garrett they have the new Ace APEX. Supposed to be available in the next month or two. Again it will probably be less expensive than an AT Pro and is multi-frequency.

I agree. The At Pro is obviously a great detector, possibly the most popular of the past decade. But with the new machines having so many features at such a good price at least take a look at the Simplex +, Minelab Vanquish and even the Equinox 600 can be had for almost the same money as an AT Pro.

If you want to stick with Garrett they have the new Ace APEX. Supposed to be available in the next month or two. Again it will probably be less expensive than an AT Pro and is multi-frequency.

And the Apex has 5 tones not 3, a salt water beach mode, and has Z-Lynk wireless technology built in for using Garrett wireless headphones. It is not fully waterproof, which to me is its only major drawback compared to the AT Pro.

According to Garrett's Facebook page it is in full, final production right now, so testing is over.

I started out with an AT-Pro over 10 years ago. It’s a great detector and is easy to learn and use. I sold it 3 or 4 years ago to a guy I go detecting with. I bought a deus and am quite happy with it. When we go detecting he gives me a run for my money! Just a few days ago I found $2.87 in clad while he was well over $8.

If you are close enough to Garrett to stop by the factory you might check if they have factory refurbished units. They should be cheaper than new units and still have a warranty.

I'll just join in with the rest of the At Pro votes. They're a proven good machine. Wouldn't bother me to pick up a used one as they are a very reliable machine. The new price has come down and there are some bundle offers out there. Good luck and HH! Oh, congrats on the retirement..it's way underrated!!😁

Back
Top Bottom