photo fails

Bounder

I have an old flip phone that I can't clear closeups of my finds with. I have a canon powershot A590 digital camera. The trouble is that when I try to upload the pics I keep getting a message of upload failed. It says 8 megapixels on the camera, is that too big? Any suggestions?

I have an old flip phone that I can't clear closeups of my finds with. I have a canon powershot A590 digital camera. The trouble is that when I try to upload the pics I keep getting a message of upload failed. It says 8 megapixels on the camera, is that too big? Any suggestions?

Most images captured by phones and digital cameras are far, far higher resolution than necessary when the vast majority today are only ever viewed on a computer or phone screen. The highest quality settings can result in the resolution necessary for posters or even billboards. Discussion boards like this don't want to pay for the unnecessary storage to let people upload huge files, and huge pictures are annoying if the software doesn't scale them down enough.

One simple solution is to change the settings in your camera. Look in your camera settings and change the image size to 640x480. If you use that setting, you probably won't have to do any additional editing to upload. It's a nice size for viewing on a computer screen, too. That's the size of the photo I've attached. Just remember to change the setting back before you take a photo you might want to print!

Otherwise, if you don't want to change the camera settings, or you want to have a higher resolution version for yourself, then you'll need to run your photos through a program that reduces their size. Microsoft Paint can do it and that program is on every Windows computer.

Attachments

• 0676766666666666.jpg
    0676766666666666.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 241
Thanks for the inputs. I now have several different things to try.

I usually do close-up coin photos at 3MP, then crop the outer edges of the photo out. This gives a less-than-3MP image file, and a zoomed in photo without actually having the camera lens that close. With the lens very close, focusing is harder, and distortion starts to show...with my cheap camera anyway.

Back
Top Bottom