Garrett 8X5 vs NEL 9.5X5.5

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I'm thinking about getting a smaller coil for my ATP to help with trashy areas. How do these two compare? I'd like the extra 1.5" coverage on the NEL if it gives the same separation that the 8X5 does.

BCD

Based on the way these coils work and the nature of what we do , even though it looks better on paper the extra 1.5" coverage shouldnt translate to a noticeable difference out in the field , and if it did what you would probably actually see it make getting in between dense targets a little more difficult , not any noticeable difference in depth , and no real benefit in coverage.....its not enough to matter. I have not used the NEL , ..... this is just many years of experience and observation speaking.

The garrett 5x8 is great , the slightly larger NEL may work just as well but doubtfull that there is enough of a difference to choose one over the other.

Based on the way these coils work and the nature of what we do , even though it looks better on paper the extra 1.5" coverage shouldnt translate to a noticeable difference out in the field , and if it did what you would probably actually see it make getting in between dense targets a little more difficult , not any noticeable difference in depth , and no real benefit in coverage.....its not enough to matter. I have not used the NEL , ..... this is just many years of experience and observation speaking.

The garrett 5x8 is great , the slightly larger NEL may work just as well but doubtfull that there is enough of a difference to choose one over the other.

Coverage DOES matter. I disagree. The difference between 8 inches and 9.5 inches is 18.75% more coverage on every sweep. It might not make any difference on target separation (because turning it sideways, you're actually only getting a .5" difference in coil width on a DD.), but it WILL make a difference on amount of ground covered.

And more ground covered, means more targets encountered. Personally, I'd take the .5" coil width hit in target separation (which is likely to be non-noticed), for a nearly 20% gain in sweep coverage.

But then again, I'm running the NEL Thunder, sweep coverage for me is what it's all about!

:)

Skippy

Hm I've had a NEL Sharpshooter on just about every machine I've had that they make one for.

Now I have the AT Gold which comes with the stock 8x5 and see no reason to get the Sharpshooter for it. I don't feel like It's worth the cost to get a NEL in this case.

Either will do..can't say I feel one is any better than the other to me.

I'd just look for a good deal on either (used or new)

I have the Garrett 5x8, I feel like it does well in parks and curb strips with its ability to separate. But out in an open field you are better off with a bigger coil for more coverage and depth. I have never used a NEL, it seems like the reviews are very mixed. I also feel like the 5x8 is more stable sounding and less chatty than the stock coil.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have the Garrett 5x8, I feel like it does well in parks and curb strips with its ability to separate. But out in an open field you are better off with a bigger coil for more coverage and depth. I have never used a NEL, it seems like the reviews are very mixed. I also feel like the 5x8 is more stable sounding and less chatty than the stock coil.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That's where I am now. I have the stock and it is really chatty in the parks and I'd like a smaller coil for that. I'd like to maximize sweep coverage though so if I can get same separation with the NEL and extra coverage, I'm going that way.

BCD

That's where I am now. I have the stock and it is really chatty in the parks and I'd like a smaller coil for that. I'd like to maximize sweep coverage though so if I can get same separation with the NEL and extra coverage, I'm going that way.

BCD

I've always liked the NEL Sharpshooter, I'd do it.

Coverage DOES matter. I disagree. The difference between 8 inches and 9.5 inches is 18.75% more coverage on every sweep. It might not make any difference on target separation (because turning it sideways, you're actually only getting a .5" difference in coil width on a DD.), but it WILL make a difference on amount of ground covered.

And more ground covered, means more targets encountered. Personally, I'd take the .5" coil width hit in target separation (which is likely to be non-noticed), for a nearly 20% gain in sweep coverage.

But then again, I'm running the NEL Thunder, sweep coverage for me is what it's all about!

:)

Skippy

Size of the coil does make a difference in ground coverage , but when considering these two particular coils and their " other " differences the size shouldnt really make a difference. The Garrett coils are blunt at the ends to allow for better depth at the front and back of the coil , giving an actual better coverage than the standard DD coil design , like the NEL. Not only is the difference in size very little but you actually cover the ground better vertically with the Garrett coil. The extra 1 inch of horizontal coverage from the NEL is not as much of a benefit as you think it is. Covering ** slightly ** more ground is not as good as having better coverage at the tip and rear of the coil. If you dont overlap your swings you will miss things anyway , so a one inch size difference isnt going to be significant.

Thanks for the input. Going to chew on this a bit, but probably go with the Garrett. I'll put it on the list for Father's day and see how far it goes.

BCD

Back
Top Bottom