An hour with the Impact

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I received my Impact yesterday just before heading out the door for work so this morning I was up bright and early, read the manual quickly while I chugged down a cup of coffee and headed out the door.
I only had an hour to hunt but it was long enough for me to tell I am going to like this machine.
I took it to an area where everything is DEEP. The only machines that really hit on anything have been my Deus and the Sorex Pro.
I basically set it up randomly. I had heard through post that DI99 was a good mode to use and I then set my gain up to where it started to chatter and backed it off a couple numbers. I ended up around 83. I set the discrimination on 15 and did a ground balance. I am thinking my iron volume was at 1 or 2.
As you can see in the pic I hit 3 coins and 3 pieces of trash which is not bad because targets in this area are few and far between and did I mention DEEP?
The wheatie was at about 8" and hit semi solid one way but iffy on the other direction. I dug it out carefully and sure enough it was perched right on its edge in the bottom of my hole. The 1889 V nickel was 10" deep and gave a good signal in both directions with an ID of 75 and jumping into the 50's at times. After pulling the coin out I stuck my pinpointer back in the hole and got another target. I was excited hoping a piece of silver may be lying in there but it ended up was a medium size square nail. Never heard a grunt of iron just a good mid tone. I other V nickel came in right at 75 and stayed there. It was approx. 7" deep.
The pull tab fooled me but I was going to dig any repeatable tones anyways. The small iron bolt gave a good solid tone in one direction and nothing in the other. I had just dug the wheatie on edge and suspected I may have another but wasn't to be.
One thing I was very impressed with is just how quiet this machine is. When sitting it down to retrieve and target it is whisper quiet. My Deus gets noisy as all hell when I do that. Also very nice and quiet while sweeping the coil from side to side
I look forward to mastering this machine and making some awesome finds with it.

Nice first impressions.

It's interesting that the square nail didn't produce a low tone, though I suppose depth might have had something to do with that. Was that what was giving you the secondary ID in the 50s, though? From what I've seen of this machine, it's REALLY good at unmasking and separating out the iron.

Unless the reviews for the Max are absolutely amazing across the board, the Impact will be my first machine that I get.

Lastly, did you get the standard or pro package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is one pull tab that I don't mind digging when I run onto a area that has them......

When doing my nail coin nail with nails 2 in above the quarter in Di99 i did not always get an iron grunt on the nails depending on settings and coil height. Deep mode is still the best for ID ing targets for me in my soil. I hunt in deep or when in other modes find a target i switch to deep to check it out.

My first trip out i was in di3 , with no disc, iron on 2 so it did not overpower my good targets. I got a crisp tone one way and a ID of 67, nothing the other way, slight iron grunt. Almost walked away but the tone was nagging at me, so i went back and switched to deep mode , same good tone, but now ID was 85 and i dug it. Out popped my first silver with Impact a 1950 rosie dime. I think the impact is gonna be a very good machine and mine is very quiet as well.

Looking forward to more of your impressions and posts on finds. I am still learning mine and looking forward to gaining more info from you guys on it.

I knew you would like it! I too have hit some very deep coin targets. It won't replace my CTX but it will compliment my style of hunting.

One thing I have to confirm is when you ground balance it should be at the default gain setting. The Fors Core was like that and I thought I read in the manual the Impact was the same.

What's the grip like? Is it just textured plastic or does some sort of coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just reviewed the Impact manual and no where does it say to GB at the default gain setting.

Actually I recently seen in the manual that you should ground balance at default gain setting. I'll be damn if I can find it now but I will keep looking. Although I did ground balance at my own gain setting and it seemed to run smoothly and hit deep.

Actually I recently seen in the manual that you should ground balance at default gain setting. I'll be damn if I can find it now but I will keep looking. Although I did ground balance at my own gain setting and it seemed to run smoothly and hit deep.

The only thing I see in the manual,,if ISat setting is set too high,this may hinder getting a proper ground balance.

And of course if a user gets over some inert ground mineral wise,,ground grab ground balance can't be performed.

In my original post I too thought I read it but I could not find it when I went back to the manual. I also saved my settings with a higher gain so it kind of defeats the 'saved' gain if you need to ground balance. I've ground balance at the new 'saved' value and also at the default 70 and have not noticed any difference. I'll keep my eyes and ears open to see how it plays out.

Back
Top Bottom