Found a wheat with the Mojave...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Now before you say no big deal let me tell you a few reasons why this is a very big deal...to me.

This was found in a special place, a stretch of curb strips that are unusually wide at about 10' and runs down a certain long block.
In the middle of this block is the entrance to a small old park established in 1898...the horse and buggy days.
In 1902 an extremely high end neighborhood was built around the perimeter of this park with a limited numbers of the most expensive homes at the time for the city's elite, bank owners, business owners, doctors and such.
Each was on 5 acre lots but most of that land was subdivided into smaller parcels now with some newer smaller homes built there as time went on.
There are still several of the older large original homes in there, most are marked historical.
One has recently been completely restored to its original condition, the address is #10, and if you want to buy it it is on the market right now for only about $1.8 million.
The whole thing is private so unless you knew somebody in there no hunting in the park or the big lawns or what is left of the huge backyards but the strips in front are city owned.
Because of the history of this park and neighborhood these strips have been hunted continuously and often since detectors have been invented.
I know a guy that lives in a smaller home right across the street from the entrance, he moved in in 1971 and told me he has seen legions of hunters scouring these strips since then.
Sometime one or two, sometimes whole groups but most of the old guys, the club guys, consider these things hunted out now but boy do I wish I knew what these guys found here back in the old days.
I myself have hunted here a ton because I never consider any site completely hunted out especially in my environment.
There is just too much iron, too much trash, a lot of that red dirt mineralization that just makes things hide so well to think that everything is gone completely no matter how many hunted here or how good they were.
The easy to find stuff is long gone but the not so easy targets are still around and I keep coming back trying new settings, coils, detectors and whatever else I can think of to try to find anything old that is still possible to find.
I have not found any silver here but way down at one end of the block I have dug a few wheats and other cool things like a small Tootsietoy boat.
Right in front of the entrance I found my best looking crotal bell, a beautiful cast one that still rings plus other neat stuff like a 50's watch.
This tells me most seemed to have cherry picked the high tones because those are rare but the lower conductors are still here even though 99% of them are junk and trash.
There is some modern clad here but anything older and good that comes out of this place is a huge victory as far as I am concerned and I love the challenge of visiting here when I can to try my luck as rare as that is.
Who knows, buffs, shields and V nickels might still be in play here and my dream is to come across some kind of extremely masked silver, maybe a Barber coin, and free it from its long resting place.

Yesterday, using the new Mojave in the strip in front near the entrance I found a wheatie.
It was near the street next to the old square cut rock curbs, areas I always hunt thoroughly because people getting in and out of cars tend to lose a lot of things next to these.
I have hunted in this exact spot using my F70 and at least 3 if not 4 coils, a Vaq and even my Compadre got a few chances.
Never dug this wheat but yesterday with the Mojave I got a nice, high repeating signal and dug into the very dry drought conditions dirt.
Not a huge hole but I ended up digging deep enough to hit somewhere around the hilt of my Lesche...that is about 6" if you measure it.
That is as far as I usually go in dry dirt if even that far here because it is difficult to chop your way down very far in the dry stuff and to dig any deeper I would have to make a big messy hole which I don't want to do.
I still don't know how deep the Mojave will actually go in my dirt, on the last couple hunts I went after a few nice high tones but couldn't get to them so I don't know if they were big iron deep or good coin targets...very frustrating but nice to know I am picking up signals deeper than I ever remember my Compadre doing in this mess.
We had a soaking rain yesterday so today we will try to acquire a few of those deeper ones and see what they are.
On this hole I was about to give up but on one of my last little piles of dirt I was able to scrape up out of the bottom of the hole I ran my pinpointer over the dirt and got a hit and sifted through and saw a coin.
Had to be minimum of 5" deep, might have been even past that closer to 6".
I smiled...even though I nicked the thing doing all that chopping and scraping to get to it.
There is a pretty rich layer of great really masked targets all around here at the 4-7" range for those of us that can learn to notice them...a few even at 8" which is about as far as I have been able to reach with my F70 in the bad stuff so far.
If this thing can actually hit that 6" mark here constantly I will be thrilled, if it can even get a bit deeper I will be shocked but it just might be possible.

All these reasons are why this lowly little one cent coin means so much to me.
What it represents might be huge.

I might have been able to find this coin at another time on another day with another machine but up to now I didn't..the Mojave did on its first trip and did it easily.
The depth I seem to be reaching seems to exceed my Compadre depth by at least a couple of inches but I don't really know how deep it can get on coin sized items in this dirt...yet.
So far I have found 3 great old targets in areas I know I have scoured before many times with several units and coils and this little machine found them...exactly what I was hoping for when I decided to get this one.
To find any high conductive coin in those strips as I said is a huge victory, I will keep coming back because where there is one there might be another so I still have hope some even better targets can be hiding.

This is just one little wheat cent but why it is worth way more than just one cent to me.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75478_1495362152_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75478_1495362152_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
When I first got the Mojave one of the first old coins I dug with it was an 1889 indian at about 6in in highly m I neroli zed soil of Colorado in an old rail camp that I know in had had several other high end and tesoro machines over. The only thing I could figure is it was severely masked by square nails and the other machines didn't give me a good enough DIG me tone. The Mojave works extremely well in old trash. It earned a spot in my regular detectors I use daily so kudos to the little Mo!

Now before you say no big deal let me tell you a few reasons why this is a very big deal...to me.

This was found in a special place, a stretch of curb strips that are unusually wide at about 15' and runs down a certain long block.
In the middle of this block is the entrance to a small old park established in 1898...the horse and buggy days.
In 1902 an extremely high end neighborhood was built around the perimeter of this park with a limited numbers of the most expensive homes at the time for the city's elite, bank owners, business owners, doctors and such.
Each was on 5 acre lots but most of that land was subdivided into smaller parcels now with some newer smaller homes built there as time went on.
There are still several of the older large original homes in there, most are marked historical.
One has recently been completely restored to its original condition, the address is #10, and if you want to buy it it is on the market right now for only about $1.8 million.
The whole thing is private so unless you knew somebody in there no hunting in the park or the big lawns or what is left of the huge backyards but the strips in front are city owned.
Because of the history of this park and neighborhood these strips have been hunted continuously and often since detectors have been invented.
I know a guy that lives in a smaller home right across the street from the entrance, he moved in in 1971 and told me he has seen legions of hunters scouring these strips since then.
Sometime one or two, sometimes whole groups but most of the old guys, the club guys, consider these things hunted out now but boy do I wish I knew what these guys found here back in the old days.
I myself have hunted here a ton because I never consider any site completely hunted out especially in my environment.
There is just too much iron, too much trash, a lot of that red dirt mineralization that just makes things hide so well to think that everything is gone completely no matter how many hunted here or how good they were.
The easy to find stuff is long gone but the not so easy targets are still around and I keep coming back trying new settings, coils, detectors and whatever else I can think of to try to find anything old that is still possible to find.
I have not found any silver here but way down at one end of the block I have dug a few wheats and other cool things like a small Tootsietoy boat.
Right in front of the entrance I found my best looking crotal bell, a beautiful cast one that still rings plus other neat stuff like a 50's watch.
This tells me most seemed to have cherry picked the high tones because those are rare but the lower conductors are still here even though 99% of them are junk and trash.
There is some modern clad here but anything older and good that comes out of this place is a huge victory as far as I am concerned and I love the challenge of visiting here when I can to try my luck as rare as that is.
Who knows, buffs, shields and V nickels might still be in play here and my dream is to come across some kind of extremely masked silver, maybe a Barber coin, and free it from its long resting place.

Yesterday, using the new Mojave in the strip in front near the entrance I found a wheatie.
It was near the street next to the old square cut rock curbs, areas I always hunt thoroughly because people getting in and out of cars tend to lose a lot of things next to these.
I have hunted in this exact spot using my F70 and at least 3 if not 4 coils, a Vaq and even my Compadre got a few chances.
Never dug this wheat but yesterday with the Mojave I got a nice, high repeating signal and dug into the very dry drought conditions dirt.
Not a huge hole but I ended up digging deep enough to hit somewhere around the hilt of my Lesche...that is about 6" if you measure it.
That is as far as I usually go in dry dirt if even that far here because it is difficult to chop your way down very far in the dry stuff and to dig any deeper I would have to make a big messy hole which I don't want to do.
I still don't know how deep the Mojave will actually go in my dirt, on the last couple hunts I went after a few nice high tones but couldn't get to them so I don't know if they were big iron deep or good coin targets...very frustrating but nice to know I am picking up signals deeper than I ever remember my Compadre doing in this mess.
We had a soaking rain yesterday so today we will try to acquire a few of those deeper ones and see what they are.
On this hole I was about to give up but on one of my last little piles of dirt I was able to scrape up out of the bottom of the hole I ran my pinpointer over the dirt and got a hit and sifted through and saw a coin.
Had to be minimum of 5" deep, might have been even past that closer to 6".
I smiled...even though I nicked the thing doing all that chopping and scraping to get to it.
There is a pretty rich layer of great really masked targets all around here at the 4-7" range for those of us that can learn to notice them...a few even at 8" which is about as far as I have been able to reach with my F70 in the bad stuff so far.
If this thing can actually hit that 6" mark here constantly I will be thrilled, if it can even get a bit deeper I will be shocked but it just might be possible.

All these reasons are why this lowly little one cent coin means so much to me.
What it represents might be huge.

I might have been able to find this coin at another time on another day with another machine but up to now I didn't..the Mojave did on its first trip and did it easily.
The depth I seem to be reaching seems to exceed my Compadre depth by at least a couple of inches but I don't really know how deep it can get on coin sized items in this dirt...yet.
So far I have found 3 great old targets in areas I know I have scoured before many times with several units and coils and this little machine found them...exactly what I was hoping for when I decided to get this one.
To find any high conductive coin in those strips as I said is a huge victory, I will keep coming back because where there is one there might be another so I still have hope some even better targets can be hiding.

This is just one little wheat cent but why it is worth way more than just one cent to me.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy the Mojave, even though Beeps was unmercifully slaying all sorts of silver and even gold with his. I came close a couple of times and backed out at the last second. With that being said, I am happy for you, I am wishing many more great finds for you in the future with your Mojave. I'm just going to continue to read the Mojave posts and dream of what could have been but isn't. I had a difficult time selling my compadre but it is sold. My Deleon isn't and it should be for that price is exactly half price to what I have in it which is killing me since I don't want to sell it in the first place. It is what I get for striking a deal with the devil to get the Deus. It is sobering knowing that the devil and I share the same address and I will be married to her for 28 years next month....Keep posting those finds, I'll still live vicariously through your postings but I won't be attending church no more.....:viking:

Just have fun no matter what you are swinging. At one time I didn't think I'd need anything else but the Vaquero, but then I got into Fishers. Other times I thought the Compadre would be the only thing that I would ever need for certain tasks, but I'm starting to really like this Mojave. Tlimes and things change and we grow and change and move on with it.
Normal...just enjoy yourself which is the only real important thing in this hobby.

Yea, that is a good find Digger. Reminds me of the lowly beer can I found yesterday at my Racetrack. The bottom that first appeared was 10" down, it was upside down and not crushed. It tells me there are deep coins here if I ever get a detector that will go deep. Good luck on future hunts there.

Good story Dig!!!, Could you take a picture of the curb strip? I just want a picture in my head, now, I have to take a look at Mojave?

Dig, that's a low price detector?

http://www.metaldetector.com/tesoro-mojave-metal-detector

No screen?

Like the Compadre low price but works expensive if you want to pick out the goodies in crowded iron and trash filled sites.
Seems to be what most describe them as...a Compadre on steroids.
I have found three great heavily masked targets so far in some very scoured sites...a silver merc, this wheat and a Mills Vending machine token...plus a lot of clad and junk jewelry so it seems to be working.
I think I am getting a bit deeper in my dirt than with the Compadre which is what I was hoping for but we will see.
I got it for the hyper-sensitivity and discrimination ability and not so much for huge depth.
I still got my F70 for that plus the good stuff around here is not much more than 6" deep but just masked to the hilt.
I traded my Vaq and a few coils for this one and a new Nel Sharpshooter coil for
my F70 so win win.
I got some new tools that I am enjoying immensely and are working great and finding treasure even better than before and someone else in much better dirt gets my lonely Vaq and it will be used and loved again.
Loved my Vaq and found a ton with it but I changed over the years and I dig too much trash with it here for my liking so the F70 for me works better and especially on the deep stuff, plus I love my Compadre and it does great at picking out goodies in this mess but not with much depth and so far the Mojave seems to have the same abilities...plus that added few inches.
Two out of three of these better targets I found I don't think the Compadre would have reached...just a bit too far but I still have a lot of hunting to do to observe its real abilities.
Plus using these simple Tesoros is way fun for me, a nice change when I feel like hunting with something else besides the Fisher.
I have had this option for years, using just one detector all the time can bore me so I like the choice and wouldn't enjoy this hobby any other way.
"Screens...we don't need no stinking screens", to paraphrase.
There is a language we learn to ID targets pretty accurately, I still dig a bit more trash with the Mojave than I am into nowadays, I used to dig a lot more in the past using all my detectors but not fun for me to do that anymore.
Still, not a ton of extra trash and from the first hunt it is picking out some goodies tons of hunters including myself have missed for decades so a good trade off.

Here is a street view of these strips at the entrance to this exclusive neighborhood.
That old park is straight ahead, we are working hard to get in there and hunt that place and some of the lawns if we can get permission.
These curbs are square and appear to be hand cut, not poured, so pretty much the oldest types we come across out there.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x88891be348ff7963:0x619ec49eb7105c1f

Like I said uncountable numbers of hunters have hunted these strips for decades since the dawn of metal detecting technology and lots of these guys did nothing else but cherry pick the high signals so finding even just this one high conductive coin that everyone missed is a huge victory.
Could be more or even better targets hiding but we will see.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom