Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Elite Member

Haha, nice (and brave) of you to share! To me, it's just like cars. There isn't one correct one for everyone. Some need wagons while others demand trucks. Some folks want gas savers and others don't care and go for it with SUVs or muscle cars. In the end, they'll all get you from one point to another, but all have different functions, capabilities, feels, quality, et cetera. I'll take an '80s Detroit luxury car, white on white with spokes, before I'd take most muscle cars. That most definitely isnít for everyone.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by davedude View post
Can someone explain the "better at nickels" thing with the Nox? I am a newb in my first year detecting and been using the AT Pro all this time. I dug 22 nickels this past saturday. My AT Pro lights them up! Solid 50/51 is a nickel, guaranteed! I don't know how it could get any better, I don't think I'm missing any of them but then I'm a newb and get my butt handed to me regularly :-)

Hmmm, now I am thinking (yeah I know, bad idea) maybe it's deep nickels where the nox does better?
I have an AT Pro and a Nox 800. If I'm in an area where there's not much trash and come across a nickel, it won't make much difference which detector since I'm going to hear the target and check the numbers with either one.

But, take both to a place with coins and dense mid-tone trash. When I say "dense" I mean 5 or so mid tone signals in every swing plus the usual background of iron. By audio only on the AT pro, multiple signals on every swing will sound like a potential nickel so you're constantly having to look at the screen as it scans to see that solid 50/51.

With the Nox 800 I can scan that dense trash and pick out the nickels by ear, and the huge easy to read screen is just there if and when I want to confirm. That's because I can set up the tone bin pitch and volume to hit on 12/13 (solid nickel VDI) while still hearing the adjacent tones, only at a lower pitch and volume. That's faster and I'll dig less trash along the way.

I've also been in areas where the mid tone trash was so dense that the AT pro was overwhelmed and wouldn't recover fast enough to give audio and and numbers for each target, but the Equinox on a fast recovery speed would process each target distinctly. That situation was actually what let me to buy the Equinox.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
I have an AT Pro and a Nox 800. If I'm in an area where there's not much trash and come across a nickel, it won't make much difference which detector since I'm going to hear the target and check the numbers with either one.

But, take both to a place with coins and dense mid-tone trash. When I say "dense" I mean 5 or so mid tone signals in every swing plus the usual background of iron. By audio only on the AT pro, multiple signals on every swing will sound like a potential nickel so you're constantly having to look at the screen as it scans to see that solid 50/51.

With the Nox 800 I can scan that dense trash and pick out the nickels by ear, and the huge easy to read screen is just there if and when I want to confirm. That's because I can set up the tone bin pitch and volume to hit on 12/13 (solid nickel VDI) while still hearing the adjacent tones, only at a lower pitch and volume. That's faster and I'll dig less trash along the way.

I've also been in areas where the mid tone trash was so dense that the AT pro was overwhelmed and wouldn't recover fast enough to give audio and and numbers for each target, but the Equinox on a fast recovery speed would process each target distinctly. That situation was actually what let me to buy the Equinox.
Yep the Equinox is great in trash!

Old 11-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
I made up my mind too.
When I see folks selling detectors with protective covering still on and later giving remarks as to the true detector performance I wonder if they even operated enough to render a fair and accurate assessment.

Like they knew they were going to sell hence leave film on screen.
Ok,letís just assume your talking about me because we know you are..No sense in taking the factory film off the screen if you donít hafto,I mean why would you? Unless your not smart enough to know what the icons mean,then youíd need to have the Minelab English screen saver put on..pick your poison.
I get it and so does everyone else,your in love with the equinox..Thatís great! Really,I think thatís cool.But does that mean that you hafto say what you say,and no one else has a say in what they think?
Honestly I said nothing wrong here,so why are you sectioning me out? And itís not the first time either,you constantly do it..I have no problems with you tnsharpshooter,not sure Iím seeing that back.Im in this for fun,thatís it .
My opinion on the equinox 800 is itís a great machine.But I look at it different from you since itís not my (favorite) machine..no harm there.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Supporter

Just received my Simplex+.

so far it is what I expected. Easier to use than the nox 800, somewhat like the AT Pro I had for 3 years. Used my nox 800 since March 2018 so I know its good points and other areas I don't care for. especially the compressed 0-39 digital ID.

Simplex+.

easy to learn, durable shaft, good 0-99 digital display.

bottle caps are easy to ID if you switch to the beach mode and do a toe wiggle and you will see the numbers drop but only coins they stay the same.

very easy to set discrim for an effective coin cherry picking program.

so far, very happy.

I will keep the 800 and see which I use the most which means which is best for me, not anyone else.

But the true test will be to take it to some areas that are difficult even for the 800 and see if the Simplex+ is up to the task.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Elite Member

I started out with and am still using a machine that the manufacturer quit producing six months after I made the purchase It was a tones only machine and to my untrained ears it was speaking a foreign language that I did not understand. I got so frustrated that I more than one time looked for a sturdy tree to wrap it around. Thankfully due to the cost I resisted. In time I started understanding the language it was speaking and now when it speaks I dig

It took me quite some time to come to appreciate the machine. I suspect that a lot of newer machines that one sees on the market are there because folks got frustrated with them because they did not fully understand the machine.

I don't believe that using a machine two or three months gives the machine enough time to teach you what it is trying to tell you.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Elite Member

I had my 800 setup the same way and the nickels I've dug were never a solid 12 or 13, they always bounced Between those numbers.Not a bad thing, just how it was..problem is I've dug a ton of square tabs they read 12, 13. The same as a nickel...Ive dug alot of things with the nox that read a 12, 13 just like a nickel that wasnt a nickel..I don't think you can call the nox a better nickel machine than the at pro, not for ID in trashy areas anyway, at pro is much better at separating square tabs, pull tabs and junk from a nickel as far as visual ID goes

Last edited by woodbutcher; 11-17-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
I made up my mind too.

When I see folks selling detectors with protective covering still on and later giving remarks as to the true detector performance I wonder if they even operated enough to render a fair and accurate assessment.

Like they knew they were going to sell hence leave film on screen.
This is so true. Most people that ditch a detector within the first year never really learn to use it. Heck I will be the first one to admit that I didnt use my ctx3030 enough to truly unlock its potential in the 2 years I owned it. The 800 was just as deep and 100 times easier to learn and use so I sold the ctx. I also firmly believe that anyone who still claims the atpro does anything better than an equinox needs their head examined lol. I used my atpro nearly every day for 4 years and feel like I mastered that machine. I absolutely loved it. It took me about 3 hunts to realize the nox 800 was superior and I sold the at pro. I have not regretted that for one minute. All of my finds from silver coins to jewelry have increased significantly since switching machines. Not all of that is due to the machine but the performance difference has been a big part of that success.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 11-21-2019, 05:52 PM

Well, I'm convinced. For those and many other reasons I ordered a new Nox 800 today. Should have it in hand by Monday.