I've about had it with the BS finds posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

351maverick

Elite Member
...there's the guy that finds gold & silver by the pound at lightning speed
...the guy with only a few posts "finds" rings "a few months ago"

does anybody police this?

I'd like to see some kind of "report BS" flagging icon on posts - if enough people believe a post to be untrue it'll be flagged (not necessarily removed) so we don't waste our time

No one ever lies about their finds! I found this on the beach last week.

Attachments

• 800px-SM_U_118_Beach.jpg
    800px-SM_U_118_Beach.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,728
Lol... I wish I could find a ship!.... ...or dig 1500000000 targets in 3 hours *cough*errr 2, 3 hour hunts....err... Um... Yah...
...I'm not that awesome though... ...I don't even think I've got 1500 targets in 3 months.. ...
-beav3r

Yeah, I don't get why people BS on this forum. Does it make you feel good to post a BS thread and get a bunch of congrats? What's the point?

Unfortunately you will get that kind of thing in every hobby like this, in the club I was in in Ma. we had one guy that entered the same merc dime with a large and deep scratch on the back for find of the month. Most people are honest about what they find, and some are very lucky and find great stuff almost every month. just take it with a grain of salt

LOL. Great post. I certainly don't understand the motivation. Perhaps it's mostly bored adolescents. The funniest posts are the ones with shiny steel cents or other items that were obviously not dug due To condition.

I generally just laugh.

Perhaps We could should have a uniform way to deal with em. Have to be careful though. A lot of legitimate finds are certainly unbelievable.

Best way to handle it is to ignore the post or better yet put the person you believe is BSing on your "Ignore" list. We are getting way to many drama threads here lately!

Lol... I wish I could find a ship!.... ...or dig 1500000000 targets in 3 hours *cough*errr 2, 3 hour hunts....err... Um... Yah...
...I'm not that awesome though... ...I don't even think I've got 1500 targets in 3 months.. ...
-beav3r

Well all you have to do is detect a target, pinpoint it, dig the hole, retrieve the target, fill the hole back in.. And do all of this in about a 1/10 of a second...
Just make sure all of the targets are good & not the normal 10-20 trash items to 1 good item like everyone else digs and your set...
Some people need to do the math before they post...:laughing:

It's because this site is so freaking cool! That's why. This can be a solitary and consuming hobby ( just up my street) and the comradary from like-minded Detectorists on this site is enough to tip you over the edge of the BS cliff.
Personally I get a rush from a cool find, knowing I'm gonna get to photograph, clean( sometimes), if a coin put in holder then into cigar box which is starting to look like "Dexters" blood slide collection.( If you follow that show) I keep it in my air conditioner.
The best is yet to come, now I get to Photoshop the find location with usually an enlarged image of item of interest. Two hobbys in one!
Having something to post on here documents and some how validates what I'm doing,plus is lots of fun.
Researching finds is another branch to this hobby.
I can't see the need to bs .
Mding and this site Rock! Have to admit though I can't help finding the dramas highly entertaining so I don't mind looking at fake finds. Midas was the best.

Why bother reading the finds subforums of the forum? Better just to skip those subforums and go to the educational subforums.

visualize this scenario:
suppose a newcomer to the hobby went out last week, forked out several hundred $$ for a new detector, has a bit of beginners luck and scores a gold ring or a silver coin. it would be awfully discouraging to that person if he/she feels uncomfortable about posting his/her find on here because of the possibility of getting a bunch of ridicule or disbelief.
their proudest moment with making that great first find would mean absolutely nothing to them if they're judged too quickly by their forum family.

i do agree 100% that there is small... and i do mean small percentage of... ahem.... questionable finds posted, but i personally believe those posts are few and far between considering the volume of accurate posts being made on here. they do bring a little bit of amusement when seeing/reading them, but i dunno.... i'm big enough that i can have a chuckle and then move on to the next post. :D
whenever i see something posted which i feel might be a little bit far fetched, it's takes me much less energy to ignore it than it takes me to type out a negative or discouraging response to that post.

that's my 2 cents.

and for the newcomers out there, yes by all means.... post your stuff!

Gave you a thumbs up couldn't agree more 007... there are BS artists who post on the forums and I usually try to ignore them... if enough people ignore these types they will wander off because they are not getting the attention they so crave.

...starting to look like "Dexters" blood slide collection.( If you follow that show)

Follow that show????!!!??? ...I LIVE by that show... Juuuust kidding....don't report my ip addy thinking I'm some serial killer... Lol... Are you just as pumped for season 8 as I am!?! ...only 22 days left until the premiere!woot¡woot! ...its one of just a few fictional tv shows I care about... VerY FEW..ESPECIALLY since fringe got cancelled.. other awesome show starting soon... Falling skies... Been anticipating it sooo much I've literally dreamed about alien takeover 4 out of the past 6 nights lol... Walking dead...great also... Breaking bad...not bad...

....but lying about finds just to get a pat on the back in virtual land...bad... So, to them I say...stop...just stop... Otherwise dexter may come for you...along with a hoard of meth making walking dead skidders sent from a parallel universe by walternate.. ...(if u followed THAT, then you kick ass...)

GL&HH all

I plan on posting up pics of the 1921 Mercedes that I'm digging up right now... Rang up a solid 500000 since its pure gold... Even the gas.. liquid gold..

-beav3r

There are some I think may be BatSqueeze posts. So what? No skin off MY behind.

Something I learned LONG ago... be slow to anger, quick to forgiveness. You accumulate loads less karma that way. If people irritate you... remember... you aren't the one looking into their mirrors in the mornings. They are. They live with themselves.

An example. Somewhat off topic but still something to think about.

Once I was in the BART station with my guide dog, Delsie. Now the general rule is "When a dog is working.... hands OFF!" Don't pet or distract a guide dog. But we were standing, waiting for the train to come into the station and my golden girl was seated by my side, being good.

A lady came over and asked timidly if she could "pet the dog". Since she HAD asked, I said 'Yes' and, to my shock, instead of just a casual stroke, she dropped to her knees and wrapped both arms around my startled girl. Del, who was always good as gold when working, broke her usual form, got to her feet and began gently pawing her and fervently licking the woman's face!

My first thought was to correct my dog for doing that... and to scold the woman for so totally taking over like she did. But I held my peace. She buried her face in my dog's ruff and Delsie kept on licking and whimpering to her, patting at her and "crooning"!

JUST as I was about to say something sharp, she looked up, her face wet with tears. "We had to put our old Golden Retriever down yesterday! Thank you SO much for understanding!" MAN was I glad I'd kept my yap shut and trusted my dog's intuition.

Point being.... you NEVER know WHY another person does what they do. Some could be shallow attention seekers... others may be desperately lonely, sad persons who grasp at what companionship they find. Before I judge anyone, let me walk a mile in their moccasins.

And if they REALLY drive you crazy? There's an "iggy" button.

SageGrouse.

It's pretty much normal for any sport or hobby, to brag, boast, and embellish. When done around family, friends, teammates, it's usually taken humorously, no big deal, just having fun. Unfortunately, most of us have never met, and we only know each other from what is posted here.

For me, I hunt for the adventure, relaxation. Would be cool to dig some silver and gold, but hasn't happened yet. Been told it sink pretty deep, in this sand, we refer to as 'dirt' here in Florida. But, it's a lot of free time, lot of thought and imagination. Some people not separate their thought so well. It's also more important to so, more than others to fit right in, be an integral part of the club. And for those out there, dripping in sweat, and hardly finding much of interest, it's tough. There are always doubts about whether the machine is working right, settings appropriate for the location. Would a more expensive machine find the silver, or do I just need to learn more about the current machine?

Location plays an important part, you can only find, what's in the ground. Not ever place you hunt, is going to produce.

Think it's best, just not to comment on potential 'fishing' stories. No attention, good or bad, and it's less likely to continue. It's really not fair to post negative comments, with just a suspicion. Some people will get lucky, not to mention there are hundreds of tips, tricks, and 'best' locations posted here, to help the new people be successful quickly. Lot of good information for a new hunter, to get the right equipment, and plan their first hunts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom