Brass coin probes

wmarcin

New to the forum. I've been lurking for the past couple of months, learning a lot about my newfound hobby. Mostly learning how much more there is to learn!

I have a question about coin probes. It is my understanding that digging holes is generally frowned upon in public parks, curbside, etc. in my area (Portland, OR suburb). So I've been learning about the knife soil parting, as well as coin probe + screwdriver technique of coin retrieval. I don't have a coin probe, yet.

Probably a dumb question: what are advantages of using a brass probe over, let's say, aluminum one (e.g., a cheapo knitting needle). Aluminum is softer than brass, in fact it has about the same hardness as silver and gold per Mohs scale.

What am I missing? :?:

Welcome from Western Australia! I know many folks use a brass probe to minimise the chances of scratching any silver coins, but I guess you could also use an aluminium probe. I used an aluminium tent peg once but I found it would bend quite quickly and the tip would become blunt. In Australia, we don't have any silver coins circulating in our currency, so therefore I use a steel tent peg (which I found at the beach) when I hunt for shallow modern coins in sensitive parks. I've also sharpened mine with a knife sharpening wheel so it's easier to get through the grass roots and stab for coins.

Attachments

• probe.jpg
    probe.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
You could use a thick brass or aluminum rod but steel is stronger so it stands up to the stress of prying coins out of the ground better than a softer metal. Some are steel with brass at the tip , which gives you the best of both worlds.

Go buy a driveway reflector on a fiberglass rod, it's long enough to make a few probes from, cut to desired length(s), Sharpen blunt point on one end, drill appropriate sized hole in an old golf ball, and epoxy the two together.

Dip the ball in paint if you want to make it purdy, or just start with an orange/yellow golf ball.

Aluminum being softer will sometimes leave a mark on coins. When I first joined I did a post on how to make your own brass probes. Do a search for 'Easy Coin Probe.'
Easy Coin Probe.gif
Easy Coin Probe 2.gif

Aluminum being softer will sometimes leave a mark on coins. When I first joined I did a post on how to make your own brass probes. Do a search for 'Easy Coin Probe.'
View attachment 421201
View attachment 421200

Link to ‘Easy Coin Probe’ as it wasn’t easy for me to find:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30847

I bet you could still find a brass toilet tank float rod, those have threaded ends.

Yup, < $3 at Home Depot, just need to see if a knob will fit the threads, and make sure it’s really solid brass...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-8-in-Brass-Float-Rod-10068/202305780

I may just try this next week when I’m by a HD...

Thank you all for your feedback.

So I understand that maybe aluminum is too soft -- it might bend too easy (I wasn't going to use it to pry the coins out of the ground, only to find them), and it may leave marks of itself on the harder metal. I never considered the latter.

So brass is the happy middle, between softer (aluminum) and harder (steel) metals. Except for silver and gold, which may get scratched by it. Alternatively, a non-metal probe, like fiberglass, could work.

I might make a brass one myself -- thank you for your suggestion @Silversmith45 and the links @GroundSweeper.

But I am really intrigued by the steel + brass tip solution -- I haven't encountered one in my searches. I'll keep looking.

I finally made one using a brass toilet float rod. Put the rod into my drill and made the pointy end on a file (after cutting most of that threaded end off). Used brass nuts and a leftover piece of a hammer handle to make a handle for it. Countersunk the nut holes. Boom. Cost maybe $3.

Bit thick maybe, I’m not a huge probe user :lol: that sounds funny.

Yours look way nicer tbw!

Attachments

• 21A2DF28-0C1F-4412-8428-5391814FD7A8.jpg
    21A2DF28-0C1F-4412-8428-5391814FD7A8.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 617
  • 6530F593-6246-4410-9328-C2F36235B9CD.jpg
    6530F593-6246-4410-9328-C2F36235B9CD.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 636
I finally made one using a brass toilet float rod. Put the rod into my drill and made the pointy end on a file (after cutting most of that threaded end off). Used brass nuts and a leftover piece of a hammer handle to make a handle for it. Countersunk the nut holes. Boom. Cost maybe $3.

Bit thick maybe, I’m not a huge probe user :lol: that sounds funny.

Yours look way nicer tbw!

Thanks for the kind words GroundSweeper. Mine cost me about twice as much to make than yours. Ultimately, they both end up doing exactly the same thing. It's all good.

Back
Top Bottom