"Do I ask to many "prove-it questions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I have put this question off for way too long..."Do I ask to many "prove-it questions" concerning why my $1500 machine misses 3-4" quarters, while others with cheap machines run right behind me and ask me how I missed this quarter?

I seem to get my closer veteran friends sometimes frustrated and quickly quieted by these repeated why questions. These are all great guys yet they seem to just feel that you dig some bad targets, you dig some good targets, you miss good targets, so just go to the next target. Really pisses me off to no end to always be beat out 2-to-1 on simple clad. Some immediate advice has been here on-line, "Sell that flagship and buy brand-x."

Do your close(r) detecting friends really care much about why your machine is always struggling on basic, simple targets, while theirs work, over the same exact signal? Do I simply have too much Missouri blood in me and need "Show-me proof?"

OK I am a retired research and design engineer and we had to ALWAYS KNOW why sh!t failed. Does this mentality fly here in this hobby at all in metal detecting, or are in the hobby most just a "pass-fail" group, and then sell off and buy brandX that others have good success with?

My dear ol' Momma, being from Missouri, would have to know why in everything.

martin

Wrong tool for the job? You don't buy a $1,500 detector to find clad.

If you're missing quarters at 3-4" it isn't going to matter what detector you use. You're doing something wrong. Any $100 detector is going to find coins at 3-4". It takes a much better detector to find them at 8-10" in tough conditions. That is where the $1,500 machines shine.

I'd say it's your technique not the detector is at fault.

I have put this question off for way too long..."Do I ask to many "prove-it questions" concerning why my $1500 machine misses 3-4" quarters, while others with cheap machines run right behind me and ask me how I missed this quarter?

I seem to get my veteran friends frustrated and quickly quieted by these repeated whys. These are all great guys yet they seem to just feel that you dig some bad targets, you dig some good targets, you miss good targets, so just go to the next target. Really pisses me off to no end to always be beat out 2-to-1 on simple clad. Some immediate advice has been here on-line, "Sell that flagship and buy brand-x."

Do your close(r) detecting friends really care much about why your high end machine is always struggling on basic, simple targets, while theirs work, over the same exact signal? Do I simply have too much Missouri blood in me and need "Show-me proof?"

OK I am a retired research and design engineer and we had to ALWAYS KNOW why sh!t failed. Does this mentality fly here in this hobby at all in metal detecting, or are in the hobby most just a "pass-fail" group, and then sell off and buy brandX that others have good success with?

martin

The question is, is it you or is it the machine? My guess would be 80% that it is you (no offense intended). I left 20% chance of machine because I know that the V3i is very complicated to use. (How many hours experience do you have with the machine?)

Here is an idea to quickly find out if it is you or the machine.

When your friends come up behind you and find something that you think you should have found, ask them to let you scan the target before they dig. (My friends and I do this A LOT). If your detector does not "see" the target, then it is your detector, or more than likely, your settings.

If your machine does see the target, then it is you. Some factors to consider are: Are you swinging the coil level to the ground on your entire swing? Are you swinging too fast? are you walking to fast, thus skipping over most of the ground?

It should be real easy to determine if it is you or the machine with a little help from your buds.

Once you figure out where the problem is, you can make a plan to correct the problem.

Does this make sense?

If you're missing quarters at 3-4" it isn't going to matter what detector you use. You're doing something wrong. Any $100 detector is going to find coins at 3-4". It takes a much better detector to find them at 8-10" in tough conditions. That is where the $1,500 machines shine.

I'd say it's your technique not the detector is at fault.

That's mostly totally logical but you are wrong. A high-end machine, with a coil in the intermediate size and comparable to the lesser machine, and WHILE both hunters strolled the same direct line of travel, same cadience and...I miss a 3-4" quarter signal?

I can't be an idiot in technique after 3 years. If I was though...I would take advice and change. Just how much changing should it take to detect a simple 3-4" quarter? Some real answers will be nice.

I have great hunt buddies here on this site who will read this. Y'all have had your ears bent many times as to the "whys." Please add in. We've done comparisons several times with each other's signals, right?

One more pointed question Detector, "You say buying a $1500 machine to find clad was an ill-choice. Ain't a high-end machine SUPPOSED to be at least equal to a cheap machine while being operated by a 3 year-vet,,,or even a basic newbie, ON A 3-4" QUARTER? 3-4 inches! That's what we are talking about in this case.

Well hopefully you dont have one of the fake V3i`s. Even still I bet they can get a quarter at 4 inches.

The key is pretty much a matter of getting your coil over the coin. I've owned 3 V3i's and they all could easily find a quarter at 4" as long as I got my coil over it.

When hunting with friends the key to going home with the most goods is mostly up to the person swinging the machine. Being in the right place is important. When I'm hunting with friends I spot the best places to hunt before we start. Knowing where coins are most likely to be comes with time and gives you an edge over those who don't.

The key is pretty much a matter of getting your coil over the coin. I've owned 3 V3i's and they all could easily find a quarter at 4" as long as I got my coil over it.

When hunting with friends the key to going home with the most goods is mostly up to the person swinging the machine. Being in the right place is important. When I'm hunting with friends I spot the best places to hunt before we start. Knowing where coins are most likely to be comes with time and gives you an edge over those who don't.

You aren't really reading my posts closely. That directly pertains to my subject line. Just sayin'

I have not owned many high end detectors but it is common sentiment
that for instance the Minelab Elite/Sov model excells at finding copper and deep
silver NOT clad.

Could be we did not want to dig clad and did not dig lower tone targets, but I'm
a fairly good hunter and when owned the Sov it would not find much clad, I guess our settings would explain it a little..but I somewhat agree a little with the poster.

But as stated not likely we pay top dollars to dig clad and more likely in to
deep targets missed by common models. I admit could be how had the settings usually with more disc..

hh

Martin, if you doubt the machine, sell it, you will never trust what it says. You have walked behind me, in the same areas, and pulled out silver that many of us did not. It is the luck of the stars, the stance, the walk, and the wiggle. It is the coil hitting the target, in just such a way, that it piques your interest and prompts you to dig. I have seen you pull silver when others didn't so I don't think it's the detector, or the user, just the 2 not working in unison "at that time". Quit worrying, quit wondering, and trust yourself and your machine, whether it cost 100 dollars or 1500 dollars. Now, pull up your big boy undies, and watch some videos to refresh what you know, and go digging tomorrow.

Had a some-what similar situation recently. Detecting at a frozen park: two inches of snow and the ground frozen solid. I hit a jumpy signal at three inches with my F2 which I thought was copper junk. I asked a fellow hunting with me to swing his etrac over it to see what he thought it was. The etrac would not hit on it even in all metal mode. Dead silent even after he changed his settings a few times. Only after I dug the item - a short piece of heavy gauge copper wire with a loop on the end - from the frozen ground did the etrac detect it. Neither I nor the other guy know why it happened.

Could it be the angle your detecting at or the speed of swings? Unless your buddies are walking in your exact footsteps in the exact angle and exact swing speed and finding what your missing, then id think there was a problem. Its kinda like my yard. Ive pulled over 70 wheat pennies out of my own yard and its a small yard. Took me 2 seasons to make my yard almost completly beepless. They say to rotate 90 degrees to make a signal become more solid but there really is no need to even go the full 90 degrees half of the time. Just a few degrees can make the difference between no target to a faint signal even at 3-4". It doesnt sound like your doing anything wrong. Id chalk it up to angles and machine sensitivity. Never used your machine before and hopefully this makes some type of sense.

My dear ol' Momma, being from Missouri, would have to know why in everything.

martin[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you get the 'asking to many questions' honestly

Actually I thought Tony gave great sound advice. If friends are picking up signals, go over it again with YOUR machine. As far as to many questions.... I doubt it. Good luck on getting it all settled.

It's really not that tough. Only 2 things could be keeping you from finding those 4" quarters everyone else is finding.

1. Your detector is not working correctly. This is very easy to eliminate. If your detector can hit a quarter at 6-7" in the air then it will hit a quarter at 4" in the ground.

2. You are not getting your coil over the coin. Technique is the problem.

Take your pick but it is what it is.

I'm reading your post it just sounds like you're wanting to blame the detector when that part is easy to test. If the detector shows to be working fine it only leaves one other possibility and you seem to not want to entertain that possibility. As has been suggested that is an easy test also. Next time one of your buddies hits a good coin have him let you check it. If you can get it again it only leaves one other possibility.

Really not that unusual. We tease each other all the time when one of us finds a goody that the other just walked over. We usually make the comment that it was nice of them to leave this for me to find. We know had our coil got over it we would have been the one to find it, but obviously we didn't get our coil over it.

Actually I thought Tony gave great sound advice. If friends are picking up signals, go over it again with YOUR machine. As far as to many questions.... I doubt it. Good luck on getting it all settled.

Thanks Jim - My friends and I use this teamwork technique all the time to assist each other

I would likely bring the FBI to my door with this but, I have operated serious programs for way over 20 years, and seen just what radio frequencies way beyond out Khz freqs these simple detectors use...all the way to space and military entercept functions. Nuff said.

The thing is that whenever I seem to ask about the "whys" over a failing metal detector performance, side by side damit....I seem to get "Just sell the damned thing!" I have to know why. Are there any other egg-headed RF engineers here?

The thing is that whenever I seem to ask about the "whys" over a failing metal detector performance, side by side damit....I seem to get "Just sell the damned thing!" I have to know why. Are there any other egg-headed RF engineers here?

Maybe because no one else was using YOUR detector that day in that instance and knows all of the variables associated with that 5 minutes on this Earth, No one CAN answer your question Martin. Now, like my dear ole Momma used to say, "Put up, or shut up". Sorry so blunt, but you are looking for answers again to questions that can't be answered.

Being a retired research and design engineer, I am a little surprised that you have reached the conclusion that the detector is the issue.

Aside from what you have stated here in this thread, why are you convinced it is the detector.

Not giving you a hard time Martin, just trying to understand how you have reached your conclusion of the problem. I don't think you are asking too many questions. I do think you are not really listening to the advice given here.

If I am wrong, I apologize.

could be you need to slow down.not trying to tell your doing anything wrong but from personal experience when i was hunting with friends i would have the same thing happen.when hunting alone i noticed that i took more time and do very well.i would go back over the same area checking to see what i had missed and noticed that i had pretty well cleared the area.when hunting with friends i would go back over the area heading back to the truck and find stuff i missed.any way hope you figure it out.HH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom