Coinshooter iPhone App

byronbbb

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member to FMDF, but have been reading it since I started detecting last year. To celebrate joining the forum, I've put my iPhone app, Coinshooter, on sale for $0.99 for 3 days...it goes through Sunday 2/3/2013. It normally runs $3.99. Just search for 'coinshooter' on the app store. If you want to see the competition, search for 'metal detecting'. There are some apps with different approaches out there.

Please check out the website and the youtube video...Coinshooter.us

I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have.

Best regards and HH!
Byron

Took advantage of your deal for .99. But when I started to download it, it said it was being modified to try again later. After about an hour, it finally allowed me to download it. Kind of wish there was a HELP or DIRECTIONS for use added to the APP. Thanks again.

Help on the App

Hi Bob,

Thanks for giving it a try! The best way to get started is to check out the youtube video. I really need to do some more videos so people can really take advantage of it. Here's the link:http://youtu.be/vsbFB4JEI5c

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

Best regards,
Byron

Hi Keith,

I too have the Minelab app. It is very pretty. I don't want to comment on what features it has or doesn't have. But I can give you a run down of what Coinshooter has and how it is laid out.

Coinshooter is organized around Locations. I quickly found that I needed to be able to segregate my locations into collections such as St. Louis City Parks versus St. Louis County Parks. The City and County have different digging regulations and I needed to know which was which. It also gives you the ability to view locations by City. You show a map of locations based on how you've filtered them (by collection, city, or all). On the map, you can select driving direction or Location details. In location details, you can view all the hunts or finds or photos. Also, a great little search feature that searches the web for the location name and city/state. Nice for figuring out how old a spot is.

In Coinshooter, you add finds by starting a hunt. You start a hunt from a location detail page. You can add various info about finds including category, value, vdi, depth, photos, etc.

Coinshooter lets you export your location and find data to CSV (spreadsheet), or GeoRSS for importing into Google maps or as importable data so you can move your data to another device.

Hopefully, it works like a person would expect it to, but I've learned that people have lots of different ideas about how things should work, which is why there are 4 or 5 apps out there to do similar things to Coinshooter ;-) Just search 'Metal Detecting' on the App Store to see what the other folks have put together. Some folks may prefer one of those...ultimately, I want folks to use something that works well for them, whether it's Coinshooter or something else.

Hi Pescadore,
Thanks for giving Coinshooter a try! If you have any questions, please go over to Coinshooter.us and add to the forum there. I do not want to wear out the good will of FMDF.

Best regards,
Byron

Coinshooter App is Updated for iPad

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to give an update on the Coinshooter iPhone App. So far, the feedback on the App has been positive (mostly from emails and contacts through the http://coinshooter.us website). If you are a user of the app and find it useful, I would certainly appreciate it if you would rate the app and give a review on the Apple App Store.

In addition to the app update, I've added a new YouTube video on how to work with the Finds screen. You can view that here:

http://youtu.be/9LfcvvPnQ4E

The latest version (1.3) now supports iPad natively for those of you who want to use the app with an iPad. The thing I really like about using it with the iPad is working with locations and maps. The ease of add locations to your lists and searching the web for them via the App are big time savers for me.

If you want to maintain your data between an iPad and an iPhone, you can export and import your locations and finds (which include hunt info) between devices. I wish it were automatic, and I attempted to make it work through iCloud synchronization, but it was not reliable. Just Google iCloud and Core Data Synch problems to see why I ultimately abandoned the effort.

I've tried to make the process is straight forward. You just email the data file from within Coinshooter on one device and open the email and tap the attachment on another device. It's pretty simple, but not automatic.

The thing that is not ideal is that Images don't get copied over. If you have your iPhone saving your images to your Photo Stream, you can manually add the images on the other device via the Photo Stream, otherwise you'll have to load the images from emails or some other way. It's not ideal, but it works.

Cheers and happy hunting!
Byron

Back
Top Bottom