Civil War Relic Hunting Which Detector

Greek2Me

Forum Supporter
Ok, I have realized that the site I am hunting has quite a few Civil War relics. I have been using my AT Pro looking for coins only. The only reason I have dug up relics is because they ring in at the coin range sometimes.

My question is this. Between the AT Pro or the Etrac, which would be better to use and what settings would you recommend?

Thanks to anyone who replies as I am new to the hobby and haven't really gotten into relic hunting. I like coinshooting, but if the site has potential for relics, I will take that too.

G2M

I flip flop from coins to bullets.. depending on the wind..lol.. the etrac in standard coin mode has been working great for me..

For pure coin(silver) hunting, the E-Trac seems to be the high end champ. If you think relics are in your future, I, personally, would stay with the AT Pro or, if soil is an issue, White's V3i or DFX. With soil issues, multi frequency reading machines have an edge.

HH

civil war relic /coin machine

I would go with the F75 Se or Ltd or the T2 SE,and dont forget to pick up the 15dd coil,out this month Earl

Can't give an opininion on the AT Pro or the Etrac but I prefer to hunt with my Ace 250 in Relic Mode. This way I hit coins and the relics. I believe that my first few times out with the Ace 250 in Coin Mode only I missed out on alot of cool relics and got few coins. Returning to the same site later I scored well in both coins and relics. Sometimes I even run it in All Metal Mode, just to see where the action is, and dig the better tones/indications.

Thanks for the input. I guess I should have said that I currently own the AT Pro and the Etrac. I was just needing to know which one I should use.

G2M

Have you tried relic mode on the Etrac? That will give you ferrous tones. Switch to 2 tones instead of multi and dig every high pitch tone. The low tones will be iron. Lots of info on TTF (two tone ferrous) and might work good for you.

Here is some good info on TTF: http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/minelab-etrac/

Thanks Diggler, I will check out that link. I have never hunted for relics on purpose, they just got found by me thinking they were coin tones on my AT Pro. :)

G2M

How about the Mxt

How about he Mxt? I have found lots of great relics with that.The Mxt is a darn good machine. I use my Etrac for deep silver and old coins.

If you are finding CW relics dig everything. I have found two musket lock plates that I may have missed if discriminating iron. I only do that when I know there are CW relics though. That's worked for me with the Omega 8000' Tesoro Cibola, and my 1st machine Bounty hunter pioneer 202. I have a pretty decent CW collection. Good luck.

I just obtained permission, about an hour ago, to hunt a CW site involved in the Battle of Chattanooga. I'm going there with my trusty Compadre.

Can't wait to see how that goes! :D

If you have an E-trac, are not limited by programs (Never used one - have an explorer) it should be all you need to find relics. There's nothing my explorer doesn't do well for relic hunting and I'm guessing if the E-trac is run with low disc. and you know how to use it, it would be much the same. To keep shopping for another detector over what you have you are definitely wasting your $$$. Money will not buy you finds, use what you have and find great sites, that's how you succeed.

All I've ever used for relics is my Fisher 1266X. I have found a few(including my best button)with my Garrett Grand Master hunter when hunting coins and jewelry. If I find a good area void of modern trash.. I'll search it with my Minelab SD2200D. If you have a multi line dealer close.. It might be a good idea to check out different models..

Back
Top Bottom