• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mercury dime CRUSTY

CharlieT84

Elite Member
I didn't know silver could get this bad.
I have tried vinegar and baking soda but it did not help much.
It is hard to tell the date. My best guess is 1918.
I am not concerned about reducing the value of the coin.
Can this be cleaned up better somehow?

Attachments

• merc head.jpg
    merc head.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,352
  • merc tails.jpg
    merc tails.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,175
I don't think you're going to be able to help that poor dime very much. Whatever you attempt will most likely remove what little detail is left. Good luck!

YES!!! This method will return a coin to nice shiny condition but will not restore the wear. Line a container with tin foil & spread 1/4" baking soda in it. Place the coin in the center on the baking soda. Spread another 1/4" baking soda over the coin. From the side add boiling water slowly, being careful not to wash the baking soda off the coin.....pour slowly until all the soda is covered and "boiling". Let sit 15 minutes then pick up the coin and gently rub between your fingers. Repeat the process until the coin is as shiny as you want it. This method really works!

Looks like compacted soil, try alternately freezing it and then dropping it in boiling mineral oil. Soak it in hot water with a little soap before putting it in the freezer for 20 minutes.
It make take 3 or 4 runs before you start seeing the crust cracking up and falling of.
This has worked for me before, but on some tough ones I've used a blowtorch to gently heat the coin, then toss it in ice water. Too much heat will corrode the coin, so be careful.

Electrolysis would be the next step after removing the compacted crud.

whatever you do, be patient and don't use anything abrasive on it.

That coin looks as it’s been fire-scorched. I’ve dug a burnt Morgan dollar and seated quarter in the past.

I tried a bit of what you suggested and then I also ended up tumbling it while cleaning other clad coins. I can now read the date. It is a 1917. Below is the result. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0777r.jpg
    IMG_0777r.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 910
Back
Top Bottom