Bye Bye Retirement

Interesting how folks live these days. When I was a kid we had a hand pump for water and a two hole out house for a bathroom, a wood stove for heat, the outside was covered in tar-paper so it wasn't taxed too high.
What does the average home cost these days? I guess I haven't a clue, the one I'm in right now cost $1,800 total to buy it outright. Anything wrong I fixed myself. I downsized my car to a little 4 cylinder model to save money there. My wife does talk about buying a new car, her's is two years old now, but she is pretty tight with money. I believe the one thing everyone wants is better for their children, than they at least had when they were young.

Now I know why I have no investments !

The key to investing is education then diversifying/managing those investments yourself.

You need to periodically adjust your 401(k), or whatever you have, to the fluid market conditions/economy.

If you are hands-off with your investments and do not diversify according to market conditions then you have no one to blame but yourself when you lose money.

Take the time to educate/empower yourself!

If you contribute to a 401(k), you should definitely keep making contributions, and not take your money out at this point. If you're just investing in the market, that's another question, because no one has any idea where we're heading.

Don’t stop saving for retirement. Even if you think you’re wealthy enough to forego putting money in your 401k, you could end up seriously shortchanging your retirement savings potential by reducing your retirement plan balance or elective salary deferrals. A 401k plan is a great retirement savings vehicle – and the fact is that most Americans have not saved enough for their retirement years. Additionally, if you withdraw money from a 401k plan before age 59 ½, you’ll face a 10% tax penalty (with few exceptions) and you may end up spending money today that could have enjoyed tax-deferred compounding in the future.

Rod - Never had any stocks or such - paid off everything by the time we retired - pension & sS is adequate. 15 years retired now, No headaches watching the stocks go, just fun doing our hobbies, Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom