Fundraising with detecting services!

cntrydncr1

Elite Member
Two years ago my son's choral group was raising funds for their trip to Italy. I offered 3 hours of detecting services and someone paid $60 for it! Actually there were 2 people who were bidding against each other. I got to detect the oldest property in my town several times. It was fun and I got to keep a large cent and barber dime I found. Unfortunately I didn't find anything else of value or even any good artifacts.

Last week we had the same auction and again I offered services. This time $100 was paid and again there were 2 people bidding against each other. So when it was all done I asked the 2nd highest bidder if they wanted to purchase it as well and he did!! So now I"ll get 2 private properties to hunt and make some new connections. Hopefully they will let me do some detecting for myself after the 3 hours like the other people did. One of the properties has some local history that I already am aware of. Can't wait!

I guess I'm confused...Are you saying someone is going to pay $100 donation for you to come to there home & metal detect it..:?:

yep, the services.............

Paying towards the trip for the school kids, choral group........ that's how I read it. For the metal detecting services. Very cool idea. Good positive outreach and helping with the trip too.

And your saying the last time you did this for a $60 donation they let you keep the large cent & barber dime and those were the only 2 good things you found..:?:

I hunted the site 2 years ago 2 times for the homeowner (about 6 hours.) I asked them if I could return and went back again with 2 members of my local club. I really didn't find much other than trash and clad on the first 2 visits. The third visit was right after a hard rain. We found about 4 silver coins that day and the large cent. There was one old handtool found. It was disappointing that I didn't find more. We all know how this goes.

So now I have 2 properties that I will hunt for this year's auction. It is fun for me and raises money for our kids. I was happy to "earn" this much for something I would gladly do for free!:lol:

I'm like Jack and the others. I realize that it was for a good cause and all, but were you looking for something that they had lost? What did your services provide for? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom