Offering your services to the police

Moonshine

So how many of you have offered your MD'ing services to your local police department? How did you go about doing it? If you go down to the station, who do you ask to speak to? etc. Thanks.

I'm a member of my local club's Evidence Recovery Team. We cover a large number of police and sheriff departments from San Francisco to Monteray. Some members (Rudy is one) have even been involved with the S.F. FBI on evidence searches.

It's not as easy as it sounds. You must be trained in evidence handling techniques to avoid "botching" the prosecution's case. (Just point and let the officers handle it is best). Also, the environment can be kinda rough too...murderers don't throw their gun in the middle of a park.:lol:

I think you'll be doing a great service to your community and make a few new (law enforcement) friends at the same time. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I'm a member of my local club's Evidence Recovery Team. We cover a large number of police and sheriff departments from San Francisco to Monteray. Some members (Rudy is one) have even been involved with the S.F. FBI on evidence searches.

It's not as easy as it sounds. You must be trained in evidence handling techniques to avoid "botching" the prosecution's case. (Just point and let the officers handle it is best). Also, the environment can be kinda rough too...murderers don't throw their gun in the middle of a park.:lol:

I think you'll be doing a great service to your community and make a few new (law enforcement) friends at the same time. Good Luck.

John,

Here is one ERT adventure that made it into "Cold Case Files" on TV. It happened before I joined the club, but I'm sure you'll recognize many of the faces.

Briefly, this mission helped gather a conviction to a murder that had occurred 15 years previously. :shock:

Here is the main link to the story: ERT mission.

And here is a follow up story from after the case was successfully closed two years after the evidence recovery: Prologue.

This is all very cool. What a great way to assist the community with a MD'er's knowledge. Another facet of the hobby that I had not thought of and just another example of the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

...Here is one ERT adventure that made it into "Cold Case Files" on TV. It happened before I joined the club, but I'm sure you'll recognize many of the faces.

Briefly, this mission helped gather a conviction to a murder that had occurred 15 years previously. :shock:
Kewl Rudy!!! I didn't know about that one.:roll:

Kewl Rudy!!! I didn't know about that one.:roll:

Well, at the next meeting, mosey over to Warren Whitehead and ask him about it. He's the one that found the ammo box with the weapon in it. ;)

Oh, and ask him, if he still has a copy of the Cold case videotape, if he would show it to you. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom