Excal headset windnoise. That's all I can stand cuz I can't stand no more.

GaBeachsweeper

Forum Supporter
Ok, I know this is one I should have sought answer to long ago but I have just been suffering with it and have just now had enough. The wind noise level in my stock headset reaches nearly intolerable with anything past 5 kts of wind. The other day I noticed a small hole at the bottom of the earpiece and wondered if plugging it would eliminate the "sound of the sea in the seashell" so to speak.. I expect to hear "buy a set of Grey Ghosts" but if there's anything which can improve what I have (without invading the electronics) I'll be trying that first. Have at it guys.
Jim

I use the stock headphones on my EX 11 with no wind noise problem? I have both and like the stock ones because I can ID targets from the sound.

Aloha to cut down on the wind noise, cut small pieces of duct tape and cover all the holes on the head phone. If you are going to dive with your Excal then remove the tape from the air holes. I hope this helps you out.
HH, islandchips

I have the same problem with a fisher PI unit that uses the same headphone shells. The holes are plugged and the only thing I can do is turn my head against the wind. I think they just dont pad them well, plus maybe aren't snug enough. I dont get your kind of winds here too often though.

I agree with islandchips, cut small pieces of duct tape to cover the holes. Problem solved. HH John.

Just a thought.

Those small holes in the headphones may be there to equalize the air pressure.
Not a problem if you have long hair, as that will stop an airtight fit.
Otherwise it may cause ear problems.

I don't know if this works but I have heard that putting socks over them helps. I have Grey Ghosts on mine.........worth the investment..........comfortable and really cuts down on the wind noise.

I don't know if this works but I have heard that putting socks over them helps. I have Grey Ghosts on mine.........worth the investment..........comfortable and really cuts down on the wind noise.

Perhaps you need the big furry ones, the type they put over outside broadcast mics.

You might get some strange looks though. :D

Back
Top Bottom