Garrett Ace 250 versus Ace 350

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
I ran across this earlier today and figured that some of you might enjoy reading it since there are so many Ace users here.

Garrett Ace 250 versus Ace 350 Metal Detectors

Perhaps the most noticeable difference between the Garrett Ace 250 and the Garrett Ace 350 metal detectors is the new 11 inch DD PRO-formance coil that comes stock on the Ace 350. Two of the traditional benefits of DD coils are increased target separation and better handling of ground mineralization.

In mineralized soils, the new Ace 350 coil does seem to improve stability, but only minimally. Depth wise, the Ace 350 is still comparable to the Ace 250 with a slight edge on depth. This is not surprising as metal detectors capable of handling heavy mineralization come at a much higher price tag. In mild soil conditions, the depth increase is more noticeable but with special attention being given to target depths. Many detectorists may not even notice the difference.

One of my reasons for trying the Ace 350 was to compare the signal response and target separation of the two metal detectors. While I like the ease of use and feature set on the Ace 250 for beginner detectorists, a noticeable drawback to the Ace 250 is the somewhat slow signal response that occurs when passing over a metal target. The audio response kicks in after the coil has passed the target. This can make pinpointing without using the pinpoint feature more difficult than it should be for first time users of this metal detector. Unfortunately, the Ace 350 also suffers from this delay in response.

As for the target separation, I have noticed an improvement in target separation. However, the delayed target response limits the benefits of the narrow hot strip of a DD coil. Additionally, the target id seems a little more jumpy, which is common when comparing a DD coil to a concentric coil.

Another difference between the Ace 250 and Ace 350 is the operating frequency. The Ace 350 runs a little higher at 8.25 kHz as compared to 6.5 kHz which should make the Ace 350 more sensitive to smaller low conductive targets like foil, nickels, gold, and pull tabs. Realistically, the frequency is still too low to make any huge claims about the Ace 350 being noticeably better on finding small gold. It is, after all, an entry level multi-purpose metal detector.

While both metal detectors utilize 12 target id cursor segments, the Ace 350 incorporates four iron discrimination segments instead of two as found on the Ace 250. This may be beneficial to relic hunters interested in finding some but not all iron targets.

So, how does the Ace 350 compare to the Ace 250 metal detector? Overall, the Garrett Ace 350 does make some improvements over the Ace 250, but are the slight benefits worth paying for. That is really a subjective and individual call, but I personally do not see the Ace 350 as offering much enough of an upgrade to justify they added cost. For an entry level metal detector with a digital display and multiple search features, the Garrett Ace 250 provides a better cost to performance value.

I strongly disagree with this. I started with an Ace250 then upgraded to the Ace350. To me it was a world of difference. I had this place I hunted about a dozen times with the 250. I got wheats but nothing spectacular. The very first day I took the 350 there and in a spot I was over at least a half a dozen times with the 250 I snagged 1892 and 1899 IH's both 10" deep. A week later an 1897 Barber dime and a couple weeks later an 1875 IH. All from a place I thought I hunted out with the Ace250. I for one will say that the Ace350 is head over heels better. Gets much better depth and easily much better target discrimination and easier pinpointing...

I strongly disagree with this. I started with an Ace250 then upgraded to the Ace350. To me it was a world of difference. I had this place I hunted about a dozen times with the 250. I got wheats but nothing spectacular. The very first day I took the 350 there and in a spot I was over at least a half a dozen times with the 250 I snagged 1892 and 1899 IH's both 10" deep. A week later an 1897 Barber dime and a couple weeks later an 1875 IH. All from a place I thought I hunted out with the Ace250. I for one will say that the Ace350 is head over heels better. Gets much better depth and easily much better target discrimination and easier pinpointing...
I personally have not used an Ace 350 but have had a couple 250 and my thoughts are that the 350 would/should be deeper than the 250 because of the larger coil. I wouldn't mind trying a 350 but I just can't go the belltone, and am used to a fast recovery detector which the Ace's are not at least the 250 wasn't. Another thing holding me back from trying the 350 is that I am used to using Tesoro detectors and they are a great nickel and jewelry hunter & my feeling is that the Ace 250/350 would take a back seat in that department.

have you ever tried a 8.5x11 dd on your 250...that would also make a noticable difference

Would it be fair to say that installing the 8.5 x 11" DD coil on a 250 it would perform the same as a 350 other than the freq. difference?

The Ace 250 is one of the most versatile detectors I've ever used-and the SNIPER coil the best accesory for the Ace machines. I'm sure if most of my areas weren't so trashy I would like the DD searchcoil. I can't say enough about this great machine.:good:

The ACE250 tends to be a Morgan/Peace dollar killer, especially in the hands of a first season hunter. I would say the overwhelming majority of Silver dollars dug even on this forum have come from under the coil of an Ace250 than any other machine :yes:

Though I dont own one, I have seriously considered getting one, because I still have not found a half dollar, let alone a silver dollar and I am still a first season hunter!

I'd owned both (250 & 350 which I still have, but seldom use) for years, and said all along there was little difference between the two. The only time I would ever suggest the 350 over the 250 was if someone wanted the larger coil.

I'd owned both (250 & 350 which I still have, but seldom use) for years, and said all along there was little difference between the two. The only time I would ever suggest the 350 over the 250 was if someone wanted the larger coil.
Now you I will believe, after all you have owned both the 250 & 350 and don't use them and are wise enough to use a Tesoro :thumbsup::giggle:

I haven't used any other machine other than a Garrett. Maybe some of you don't like the ding dong noises. Well the vast majority doesn't mind it. I would venture to say the Ace series is the most used detector on this forum. And if somebody can't tell the difference between a 250 vs a 350, they don't know much about this hobby. There is a world of difference between the two....

I personally have not used an Ace 350 but have had a couple 250 and my thoughts are that the 350 would/should be deeper than the 250 because of the larger coil. I wouldn't mind trying a 350 but I just can't go the belltone, and am used to a fast recovery detector which the Ace's are not at least the 250 wasn't. Another thing holding me back from trying the 350 is that I am used to using Tesoro detectors and they are a great nickel and jewelry hunter & my feeling is that the Ace 250/350 would take a back seat in that department.

You couldn't be more wrong about the nickel and jewelry. I have found at least ten times as many nickels with my Ace350 then the AT Pro I use now. I don't know about gold jewelry because I never took the 350 to where it would be condusive to finding them. Lots of people know the Ace250/350 is a nickel/coin magnet...

I think the 350 has an expanded iron scale in addition to the coil. I still own a 350 but can't compare having never used the 250. I can say the 350 was nose heavy and the arm cuff couldn't be moved back far enough for my normal sized forearm. Neither machine needs any adjustments whatsoever, literally turn on and go. Both are built to last.

Does Tesoro make the Delta?:D
Thought they did but found out they didn't so I let it go ;). I was just thinking sllingshot, it is getting bad when a fella trades a detector for a detector that he used to own. I got a message form a fella that traded me a Fisher 1236 for a Tesoro Cibola a number of years ago, he asked me if I would trade the Delta for the Cibola that I used to own plus $45.00 to boot,,,, I said sure. He was looking for a Delta for his wife. I'm happy & he's happy. It will be here Monday.

Back
Top Bottom